Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Speak To Me

Hey! Ho! (Or is it Ho! Hey!?) Guess what is missing from BlogAway this week?





It's Lori's brain. It got lost sometime between end of the school year craziness, our first high school graduation experience, and the awesome Greeks and Greeks family reunion. If you happen to see my brain lingering at any of those locations, will you kindly give it a swift kick and send it in my direction? I would be much obliged. (All of those things were super fun and important, BTW, and I would do them over and over again, even if it meant that my brain would be forever lost within a deep abyss of disorganized chaos.)

So, in lieu of a typical blog post that would be written if my brain were present, you, dear BlogAway readers, will be writing the post this week.

What's that you say? You're not prepared? You do not know what topic to speak of?

Well never you fear, it will be simple. And you learned how to do this in high school. What is it exactly that you will be doing?

Why giving an impromptu speech, of course. Except you won't be speaking; you'll be typing.

Your impromptu speech should follow this standard format:
1. Attention getter/introduction
2. First main point
a. supporting example (s)
3. Second main point
a. supporting example (s)
4. Conclusion

You may spend no more than 3 minutes brainstorming/researching your topic. And you may spend no more than 5 minutes typing your speech. (Honor system here! You must clock yourself.) Your speech should be left in the comment section and should be several sentences long.

But what will you speak of? Here. You. Go.

1. Plants have feelings too.
2. If I ruled the world ...
3. You are an ant. Convince an anteater not to eat you.
4. Explain three uses for a pencil besides using one for writing.
5. Tell us about the last movie you saw. Critique it.
6. If all the good superheroes suddenly turned bad and began to fight against each other, who would win and why?
7. Tell us how to become a millionaire.
8. Tell us how to survive a zombie apocalypse.
9. If only one actor could be in every movie made during the upcoming year, who would it be and why?
10. You were just told to "build it and they will come." What will you build and who will come?

Pick a topic! Any topic! But maybe don't pick a topic that someone else has already used, unless you think your speech could be more persuasive, dynamic, or amusing than a previous commentor. (How competitive are you?) Your goal is to entertain, persuade, inform, enlighten.

Do you accept this challenge? Will you be my brain? Then let's WRITE THIS BLOG!

Remember, you want to win Nicole's Jamberry nails. I saw them in real life and they are just about the cutest thing ever. (Her daughter is the cutest thing ever, therefore, the nails are just about the cutest.)

OK, let's do this! Pick a topic and speak from the heart. It will be a work of art.

 





8 comments:

Mary Allen said...

What?you left your brain elsewhere? I think you can find it at school. Where it will be put to good use next year. In the meantime, I would pick the subject of building something and they will come. Two things I would like to see in this valley built. The first is an Olive Garden and the the second is a temple. Need I say more? Feed your body, feed your spirit. Gather your friends and family in this life and the next.

Jennifer Lovell said...

I'm just going to pretend that Mary Allen and I didn't choose the same topic, because it's not about competition here, it's about writing about one of my favorite movie scenes of all time. It's from Muppets from Space: Gonzo is trying to get in touch with his alien family, and his two good friends decide to take advantage. While Gonzo is sleeping, they speak to Gonzo through a fan (so as to distort their voices slightly), and they say, "Build it, and we will coooome." Gonzo: "Build it? Build what?" Pepe: "Build a jacuzzi, and we will cooome, okay?" (Imagine that in Pepe the King Prawn's hispanic accent -- HILARIOUS). So Gonzo builds a jacuzzi and all of his friends enjoy a fabulous backyard jacuzzi party. You have to see it! Funniest Muppet scene ever...no, I take it back--that movie is full of the funniest Muppet scenes ever.(Time's up!) Watch it.

Lori Folkman said...

Mary: No you don't need to say more. You said it perfectly. :) Both would be heaven. Do you really think I can make it all summer without my brain? Without it, I don't know if it's spelled BRIAN or BRAIN. Not even joking.

Jenna: I haven't watched that one: I'll have to get on it right away! Love me some Muppets. And Jenna, if you build a jacuzzi, I will definitely come! (Definitely is another word I can't spell without a brian. I mean brain.) If I built a walk-in freezer complete with penguins and a slide, would you come?

Nicole Jessop said...

I'm choosing three uses of a pencil. Pencils are pretty much the best thing ever. Besides being able to write something down and then erase it (haven't you ever wished you could take back something you said?) they have a plethora of uses! Stuck in a cast with a terrible itch you just can't reach? Use a pencil to stick it down there and scratch away, my friend. Is there an ugly naked guy that you watch from your balcony that you think may be dead but his window is cracked open? Make a poking device long enough to cross the street and poke him to see if he's sleeping or awake. (Okay, so in Friends they use chopsticks, but it's the same concept!) And lastly, if you don't have a way to apply your Jamberry Nail wraps with heat, say you don't have a blow dryer (you'd be surprised how often this has come up), a fellow consultant told me about someone who attached it to a pencil and poked it down in her toaster to heat it. (Please not: common sense, Jamberry, and myself do not recommend this method). There you have it! So many useful ways to use a pencil, besides how it was meant to be used!

Lori Folkman said...

Nicole: you are the most persuasive speaker I have ever heard. (Or read.)I will now go out and buy all the pencils in the world. If I connect them all, I can poke you all the way from my house up here. I could maybe even help you apply your Jamberry nails with my 6oo mile pencil poking device. But help me make sure I don't stick my poking device in an outlet! I know this may come as a shock to you, but my naturally curly hair isn't natural--it came from the great pencil debacle of 1989. This makes it even more amazing that you have convinced me to buy all the pencils in the world after my near death experience back when I was a teen. Pencils do not make good lightning rods, BTW.(I may have fabricated all or part of that story. Hard telling, isn't it?)

Nicole Jessop said...

Also, my daughter is definitely the cutest thing ever :) Thank you

Livingstonslifeinmontana said...

First off, let me make it clear that I am in no way a writer, in fact I failed the writing test for a work at home job!!!
With that out of the way, I must say that If I ruled the world.....I would love to be called The Burgermesiter Meister Burger. Isn't that a jolly name?.
Wathcing the series Merlin has given me a new perspective on ruling, because Prince Arthurs dad is such a numbskull when it comes to Human Relations. If I ruled the world (as the Burgermeiser Meister Burger), I would definitely develop my skills not as a hunter, not as a commander of a great army, not as a witch hunter (as King Uther does), but I would rule as a Philanthropist! Wouldn't that be the best type of ruler whose main concern is the welfare of others? And If I did rule the world, obviously I would have coffers of riches at my beck and call which would be used to help others. I most likely woudl be a "sharer". I would also promote kindness, respect and love of all people. I would also suggest (kindly of course) that everyone love chocolate, reading and watching movies. Knowing that this brings me so much joy I am sure that it would bring much joy to the world in general. Wouldn't I make a lovely Ruler of the World? Well, let's get started:
VOTE FOR ME...Burgermeister, Meister Burger Lise! (that was my name in French class and sounds much more rulerish!

Lori Folkman said...

Livignstonslifeinmt: Do not ever tell me what test you took because I know I would fail it and then I'd have a major life crisis because what in the heck would I do with my life if I was told I couldn't work from home as a writer? (Don't tell me that I could get a job that would allow me to get out of the house, meet people, get dressed every, AND pay me as well. No writer wants to hear crap like that!)I would vote for you as ruler of the world, even without reading your comment. But after reading your (well written and thought provoking) comment, I would ABSOLUTELY vote for you a thousand times if necessary. (I would use ss#s from dead people just to keep voting to make sure you would win. That is a fabulous idea, is it not? I wonder if anyone has ever thought of doing that before???) Yes, you would be a sharefish ruler. If only all rulers in the world would promote kindness, respect and love of all people, then we'd live in Utopia, and I'm pretty sure all we do in Utopia is read, Netflix and chocolate. We need to get you an advertising budget so you can win this election and make the world a better place!