Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Cast Your Eyes On This ... *

I'll admit it: publishing a book is pretty awesome. Seeing your name in big, bold letters on the cover of a book--your book--is one of those high moments in life. But you know what's got to be even better? Seeing that book made into a movie. I think it's something that all author's dream of: seeing their story on the big screen. Although ... I don't really know why. Movies rarely live up to the book. Think about it: you hear of your favorite book getting made into a movie and you get so excited about the casting and the news of the filming. Just watching the trailer gives you goose bumps. But then you go see the movie and what do you say? "Eh. It wasn't as good as the book."

For some reason, that never stops us from dreaming about it. And there's another funny thing that we authors do: we post pictures of our dream cast, even though everyone knows that the author has nothing to do with the casting of the movie (unless you're J.K. Rowling). And more than that ... since characters are typically based on a myriad of traits pulled from real people, it's absolutely impossible to cast someone who matches that role exactly. I think sometimes the casting comes close to what the reader or author had envisioned, yet other times, I bet the author is thinking "what the???" (Yes Twilight, I'm talking about you.)

So I've come up with a solution. I'm going to become a casting director so that I can cast my own Wilder Times movie.** (Yes, that would be one of my more brilliant thoughts. I don't know why every author doesn't do the same.) And like I said before, there's not anyone out there who exactly matches how I picture the characters in my head. So I've realized that I need to cast based on the character's key traits. Everything else can be enhanced by make-up and CGI. And acting skill is also not at the top of the list: it seems that this skill can be acquired, at least by the third installment. (Yes Twilight, I'm talking about you again.)

Do you want to see who I would cast as the leads in Wilder Times? Of course you do!

First up: Ben Wilder. Key traits: amazing blue eyes and a silky smooth singing voice. And the winner of that role is: Jared Leto.

 
Or at least that's who would have gotten the role if this were 1995. But since Jared is now old (ya know, like my age) and he now looks like this: 


Wait, that picture is a few years old. Let me find a different one. (BTW, blue eyes always look better with lots of black eyeliner, don't you think? Or not ...)


Shoot, also a few years old. I'm searching Google databases for a more current one. OK. Here we go:


Dang, that one is a year old. (I think he changes styles more than Lady Gaga.) Oh well. I think you get the point. Jared can't play a teen heartthrob anymore. BUT! He can play Ben's dad, Dan Wilder. It's perfect. Dan is a former 80's rock star and big-time party guy. Jared fits that role well and I don't think he will mind the demotion: I hear his band is doing quite well anyhow. 

So taking the role of Dan Wilder, I give you Jared Leto: 


This picture is very fitting, because he looks mad. Why is Dan Wilder mad? Well, because he's dead and nothing ruins your day more than being dead.

Then Dan needs a beautiful Italian wife. And when you think of Italian actresses, you think of this gal: 


The lovely Monica Bellucci will be playing the role of Lena Santareno-Wilder. (She actually looks a whole lot like how I picture Lena.) And yes, she looks older than Dan because she's still alive. Lucky her!

So those two pretty people combine their genetics and make our hero: Ben Wilder. (Again, we're back to looking for great blue eyes and a nice voice.) So my pick for Ben is: 



Hudson Thames. Don't know who he is? Well, let me tell you how I found Hudson. I saw him in a VW commercial (which we take notice of around here, since we seem to have a thing for VW's) and I said, "My, what big blues eyes you have." And he said, "All the better to play Ben Wilder with." So I looked him up and found out that he's also a musician. I said, "My, what a set of pipes you have," and he said, "All the better to sing the songs on the soundtrack with." *** And then ... get this ... I found out that his brother's name is WYLDER THAMES. Say it out-loud. Do you get it?! Is that just the coolest coincidence ever? That sealed the deal for me. Hudson Thames IS Ben Wilder.

(BTW, the name Wylder should have been on last week's post. In fact, I think I'm going to name Ben's son Wylder. The baby would be Wylder Wilder. Don't laugh, it could happen. My sister dated a guy named Reid Reed. And are you wondering if Ben is going to have a son? Well, you're just going to have to wait another year to find out when book three comes out. Mwhaaaa!) 


Now he needs a girl to crush on. Key traits for Katrina Hayes: more cute than pretty, more wholesome than smexy, more bubbly than a roll of bubble-wrap (which means endless hours of fun, but without the annoying pop pop noise).

So here's Kat: 

Olivia Holt from Disney's Kickin' It. Isn't she ... adorable? Hudson, do you want her number?  Because I could totally hook you up.****

And then lastly (but not leastly), Kat's best friend, Jackson Scott. Key traits: guy-next-door kind of look, tall and skinny, more into being smart than worrying about his looks. 


This is Callan McAulifee (also a cool name) you may have seen him on I Am Number Four. (But if you haven't seen it, don't waste your time. Cool concept, poor execution.) The only thing that's a little troublesome about casting Callan is that he and Olivia actually look like they could be brother and sister, but that might make the BIG lie even more believable. *****

Whew, that's my cast. Pretty awesome, huh?

So now let's chat about book to movie conversions. What movie do you think is the best adaptation of a book? How about the worst? Any movies that were actually better than the book? Or talk about characters as well: was someone ever cast in a role and you went: Yes! That's exactly how I pictured them? 

I'm not going to add any input on this topic, as Blogger sent me a warning saying that I have over-exceeded (not a real word, I know) my word usage for the week. Blogger told me to stop hogging the conversation and let my friends say something. The floor is yours ... 

Oh, except I need to tell you that you only have four more days to enter to win a copy of Catalyst:Wilder Times. And if you haven't read Generations yet, you're going to want to so you can take the quiz and enter to win dinner at Applebee's. The quiz will be up next Monday and will run through Oct. 9th. For the full details of both contests, go here.

It's really your turn to talk this time ... leave me a comment about movies and books and you could win the weekly prize. But make sure you've seen the disclaimers below.

* Alternate Post Title: What Lori does when she is bored with editing.

**Wilder Times has not been optioned for film. YET. This post is based on the practice of positive thinking. Also note, I am not inducted into the CSA. Does anyone know what it takes to get into the CSA? That's the next thing I'll Google  when I'm procrastinating my line edits.

***This was not an actual conversation. You should know by now that pretty much everything in my life is imaginary.

****I don't actually have her number, but I have a teen boy in my house who would like me to get it.

*****I'm so close to spoiling this for those of you haven't read Generations. Don't worry, I won't say anything else too revealing. But don't you think you aught to read it so we can let everything out in the open???

Ok, for real's now: leave me a comment. I won't say another word. 

Word!

7 comments:

Nicole Jessop said...

I think Lord of the Rings is still my number one on best book-to-movie adaptations. All of the characters were perfect for how I pictured them and I loved how Peter Jackson stayed true to so many details from the books and Tolkien's descriptions. Harry Potter did okay, but as I was rereading the series this summer, I realized how much they really left out. I won't go off on how horribly Twilight was adapted.... I still think two of the worst adaptations ever were My Side of the Mountain and James and the Giant Peach. It isn't really a big deal now, but the movies came out right after I had read them in elementary school and they were pretty awful. I think that was my introduction into book-to-movie epic failure.

Livingstonslifeinmontana said...

I love your casting choices...especially Kat, what a cute girl...she is soooo Kat. I have never seen Callan before...but wow he is perfect. And Jared Leto...well..what can I say! (ok darling) I love Hudsons video "easy"

I really love the adaption of Pride and Prejudice (Colin Firth)It takes a really long movie to do justice to any book!
I did not like Eragon.
Ella Enchanted suprisingly I thought was a better movie than book.
From book to movie I have a hard time transitioning. It is fun to see a character though and then be able to apply them to my in-brain file drawer of people.
I'm anxious to see how the Hunger Games movie goes...although a little nervous I will be disappointed.

Anne Miller said...

Perfect Kat! Very cute!

Have to agree with Ella Enchanted. LOVED the movie... the book was just ok. I'd love to see FableHaven made into a movie. Those are fun books. I really like Emma. I think it was better than the book. Gwyneth Paltrow was a great Emma!

Hudson is a cute name. You should add that to your list :)

The Rowley's said...

I thought Harry Potter's casting was right on. The characters were perfect. I do have to disagree with everyone previous about Ella Enchanted. The book was so much better than the movie. And oddly enough, I was pretty happy with the casting of Twilight too except Edward. Although I dont try and picture characters when I read so Im usually happy with whatever the movie people deem fit; I just read and hurry to see what happens next.

Anonymous said...

"Sense and Sensiblity" the movie is better than the book. (Sorry, Jane Austen!) Emma Thompson wrote the screenplay, and I think she did a great job of making it a better story. I do think the Harry Potter movies were very good, but the books are still the best.

Janice

bigskyboys said...

First off, great job casting your characters. Especially Kat, she is darling.

I think most of the Jane Austen movies were cast really well and I liked the books but never have really "loved" them. Maybe that's why I'm always happy with the characters. It always becomes more complicated when I loved the book and then the movie is always a let down! Especially Edward, I couldn't find him remotely attractive.

Caitlin said...

Wow, you weren't kidding about the eye candy! I love them! I'd be invited to the movie premiere, right? (Hudson will need a date.) Also, you should have a cameo role in the film like Stephanie Meyer did in Twilight.
I really can't think of any movie that's better than the book. I'm too loyal to books. But I have a feeling the Hunger Games movie will be better.