Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The End Is Here

Do you remember me taunting you with the promise of something awesome this week? Well ... you're just going to have to wait. It's not ready yet. I know you really had your hopes up. But come back on Thursday and I'll tell you all about it. Promise.

And until then, allow me to give you more bad news:

It is with a heavy heart and much solemnity that I tell you the following: summer is over. I know it is rather unexpected. September--which once seemed so far away--is now at hand. 



As is often the case when we aren't given enough time with something we hold so dear, our hearts are filled with regret. "If only" seems to dominate our thoughts.

So I give you my "if onlies" for our beloved Summer 2011.
If only you would have been a little bit warmer, then I could have picked huckleberries.
If only you would have given us one extra day in the week, then I could have spent more time at the lake.
If only you would have made gas prices cheaper, I could have traveled more, and I could have had more company come visit too.
If only you would have given me a bigger stomach so I could eat more fresh food.

But, not wanting to seem all negative, I shall pay tribute to the great memories Summer 2011 left behind.
I liked it when you took my family to Birch Lake, and how the kids jumped off the snow banks and into the freezing water.
I liked it when you gave us this cookbook, and when you introduced us to this corn. (That corn isn't heavenly. It's so good it's a sin. Seriously.) (Oh, and BTW, technically it was my lovely mother-in-law who introduced us to those things. But summer helped too.)
I like it when you brought family to our house. And I liked it when your brought us to see the grandparents, both sets.

So now it's your turn: Tell us  your "if onlies" for summer. And tell us what was great about your summer. And then we will pass around a box of tissue and sob uncontrollably as we think how it will be another 10 months (in Montana) before we see summer again.

9 comments:

Nicole Jessop said...

If only gas prices were cheaper so we could make more trips to Montana...
If only there were less people in Utah's mountains so camping here was more enjoyable...
If only I knew how to can, so the great deals on summer veggie prices could last me through the winter...
If only I had the chance to visit the Farmer's Market this year...
If only I hadn't found out my Idaho special education license is useless in Utah...

I liked going backpacking for the first time
I liked going camping so many more times than last summer
I liked that we decided to try and buy a house this summer
I liked that I didn't have to work this summer
I liked that I got an extra $500 stipend at the end of the summer
I liked getting to spend mornings that Steve had school sleeping in together and cuddling

Livingstonslifeinmontana said...

If only my sister could have stayed longer.
If only it could have been warm in July so we could have enjoyed the lake more.
If only there were more huckleberries.

Thank you for the apricots to make jam and for the tomatoes and onions to make salsa.

Thank you that my family did get to come and visit.

Thank you that Bill had work. (even if it was out of town)

Anne Miller said...

If only it had been warmer...I might have a better tan

If only it had been a little longer we might have played more...

If only it had made me rich...well, that wasn't going to happen anyway :)

Thank you summer for bringing lots of work for my husband!

Thank you summer for letting us get grass in our backyard

Thank you summer for ending so we can see all the pretty fall colors :)

The Rowley's said...

If only I didnt have to work so much.
If only Chad and I could get one day off together to explore.
If only we lived closer to family.
If only we'd been able to see more CO.

Thank you for beautiful hot weather all summer long.
Thank you for a happy baby who travels well and loves the pool.
Thank you for fun camping trips, family, and good friends.
Thank you for awesome garage sales.

The Edgertons said...

If only it had been warmer...we could have enjoyed the outdoors more.
If only the pollen counts could have been lower...Ash and I could have breathed a little easier this summer.
If only we had 3 day weekends...more out of town family time.

Thank you...
For an amazing garden this season.
For allowing us to watch a family of wood ducks grow up on our pond.
For laughs and giggles.
For coming to an end...I love Fall!

Bakerfam said...

If only I could have spent more time in Montana.
If only we could have gone camping more...four times this year is doing okay.
If only I had not been sick, not really your fault summer.

Thank you for the lazy days and rain, our garden did well this year and our water bill was lower.
Thank you for the cooler nights.
Thank you for the camping trips, road trips and work.
Thank you for one more season- I love fall too1

Devree said...

If only I had gotten my license because who doesn't want that freedom?

If only I had relaxed more rather than doing AP work.

If only I had not slept in my own bed more that 7 nights in the month of July.

Thank you for my trip to Boston.
Thank you for my last year of Girls' Camp.
Thank you for family reunions.
Thank you for playing games late at night with my family.
Thank you for ending so I can finally finish high school.

Seiperts said...

If only we didn’t live so far from family.

If only oil companies were not trying to gouge us, we could have visited Montana more.

If only Yakima wasn’t so scary we would have gone to more parks.

If only it wasn’t an hour to the closest lake.

If only I wasn’t so round, we would have camped more.

If only I wasn’t so round, I might have shown my self in the sun.

If only I wasn’t so round, Brent and Dalyn could have gone on a 50.

If only the farmers market wasn’t on Sunday, id have had fresh produce more often.

Thank you for bringing yummy cherries to can.

Thank you for letting the kids play at Grandmas for 3 weeks!

Thank you for bringing my little Marshall into our family.

Thank you for letting us play at the bumper boats.

Thank you for bringing family to visit us. (although not long enough)

Thank you for not being overly hot so that I was able to survive my last month of pregnancy.

bigskyboys said...

I do not know what Lori is talking about. Summer here in MT isn't over, have you looked at the forecast for the next week? It's hotter now than it was for the entire month of June and July. Lori, I suggest you pack up your beach chair and sunscreen and head down to the lake right after you drop those kids off at school for a quiet uninterrupted day of loveliness!

If only you might have gotten your act together in June, we might have gotten into the mountains before mid-July.

If only you had not froze in the mtns SOOOO many times in June, we might have a year supply of huckleberries.

You were kind enough to provide beautiful weather once finally deciding it was summer.

You were kind enough to produce lots of raspberries from the garden to help compensate for the lack of hucks.

You're never over til you're over so we'll enjoy every last bit of sunshine we can from you.