Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Name That ...

Every time we suffer through a long winter here in the Flathead, a strange phenomena occurs the following fall: we have a baby boom. This fall, practically everyone is having a baby. Yes, it was a looong winter. No, I'm not announcing anything (thank goodness). While the new little munchkins are exceedingly cute and snuggable, I'm glad to give them a squeeze and then hand them back to their mothers. I don't miss the sleepless nights, the endless poopy diapers, and having my body turn into a dairy. I also don't miss having to name the little squirts. That's a daunting task. What if you name them something they eventually hate? What if people make fun of them? What if everyone else decides to name their kiddo that exact same thing? Or the problem we have--what if the boy name you use becomes a popular girl's name? Sigh.

But even though my child-bearing days are over, I still don't get out of the name dilemma. As a writer, I have to give careful consideration to each character's name. I have to avoid strange spellings, similar sounding names, even using too many names that start with the same letter. And as I'm learning, writing a series is a whole new ballgame. I might mention a character only once and give him an average name like Mike and than forget and call someone else Mike in the next book.

It's kind of strange how some names come out of the air without really attaching a real person to that name. And then later, you realize that you've used names from half of your extended family and most of the children in the 6th grade class.  For me, it's never intentional to name a character after a real person--unless I'm trying to serve a vendetta. (Beauregard  was such a big jerk when he dumped me just before prom, so in my next book, my villain will be named Bequregard. Ha ha ha! Revenge is mine!) However, I do feel like I'm running out of names. Pretty soon all my characters are just going to be called Bob. Even the girls. Unless! Maybe you can help!

Share your favorite names with me. Do you have any old family names that you would like to revive? How about names that are really edgy but you were too afraid to use them? How about a name that you've just always loved, but never used? Do share! And not only will one random commenter win a weekly prize, you might just see your suggested names used in a future book. How seriously awesome!

(Notice I said name(s). Anyone leaving just one name will be branded as greedy. Unless you plan on having as many kids as the Duggar's, you should have plenty names to share. And guess what! I could even use last names. If you've heard a really cool last name, share that too.)

And don't forget!!! I'm giving away five copies of my new book. All you have to do is click here and give me your name and contact info. You get bonus entries if you do extra things to help promote my book. It's a win win situation!

8 comments:

The Rowley's said...

Since I am planning on having more kids I have an arsenal of girl names. Many of which Chad hates. But I like Raegan, Riyha, Kate, Abigail, Madeline, and Kennedy for girls. I like Tiegan for a boy. I better not have a boy because thats about all I got.

Sally said...

What about names we don't like? I seem to have more of those. There are lots of names I used to like...until I had one too many rotten student with the same name. So, here are some names (some I like, some I don't):
Brock
Tyler
Chase
Jordan
Preston
Amber
Brittany, Britnee
Kiersten
Aaliyah
Misty

I think Davis is a good last name:) Works as a first name, too.

Livingstonslifeinmontana said...

One of our missionaries has a cool name, "Jenson"...also we had a "Cade"
I'm done naming children but if I had my way I would have named one of my boys after my grandpa "Brose", but that got Vetoed.
I like: Loren & Layne
I have a friend whose husband named their boys after Greek Gods:
Ulysses, Theophilus, Triton, Zeus and Aries....

bigskyboys said...

This is hard since I'm still trying to come up with a name for the newest fellow in our house! But since we're sticking with boys around here I guess I can share all the girl names that were on our list and the rejected boy names:

Meg, Brooke, Elsie, Emma, Maddy, Laney, Kate

Cy, Dawson, Fisher, Carson, Brooks, Augustus, Gus.

PaulaShawn said...

We're fans of Shawna and Paul. Or Iantha. But for a book you could use . . . .

This is too hard for me. I have an imagination too much like your parents (i.e. your middle name).

Good luck to you. You'll have to get help from me in some other way.

Lori Folkman said...

Rowley's: those are all great names. I hope you have at least that many cute kids to use all those!

Sally: sad, isn't it- how one rotten kid can ruin a name forever. Hopefully there's not anyone out there who hates the name Lori for that very reason!

LLMT: Greek Gods? Interesting. I should have named my daughter Aphrodite. Why didn't I think of that?

Bigskyboys: you're not going to use Fisher??? Seriously? I've never heard a more fitting name.

PaulaShawn:You are too funny. Thanks for bringing up something that brought me great pain as a child. I was the only kid in town who didn't have a middle name. I felt so excluded! And I really, really wish you would have named your first two Paul and Shawna. That would have been one for the books.

Bakerfam said...

Of corse I love the name Gertrude, (Not so sure how Grandma would feel about having that one show up in your book. You wouldn't believe how many people love that name. There is also Hazel, or Harriatt. I have never cared for the name Jessica, but its popular and for a boy...how about Gage, the CUTEST little boy with DS in Ezras classhas that name. (next to Ezra) How about Sanford or Cooper and he could be Coop for short?
Mostly my names are either way out dated or names of little boys with DS. Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

This is hard! Caitlin was almost McKell. I still kind of like that name. And Carson could have been Mason,but it was too close to Jason! I like Brooklyn and I have always loved the name Annie. I'm going to have Carson comment because he loves to come up with names of "athletes."

Janice