Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Simple Gifts

I think I finally understand what Charles Dickens meant when he wrote, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times." 

Christmas is the best of times! We all love it

But the last few days--the worst of times. So sad. 

My heart breaks over and over again every time I think of those poor families in Connecticut. I cannot comprehend their immense grief. It is overwhelming to think about. 

So while it does look a lot like Christmas, it doesn't necessarily feel like Christmas. I feel guilty for worrying about the little nuisances of Christmas--like shopping and wrapping gifts--when other families would love to have  those trivial concerns. This tragedy has helped remind me that the little stresses really don't matter. It's all about having those you love around you.

While trying to look for the silver lining in this tragedy, I realized something else: the holidays can actually help with the healing. People reflect the light of Christmas--and that is what we need more than anything. Kindness, acceptance, and compassion are all more abundant now than at any other time of the year. And the music! How can you not be uplifted while listening to songs praising our Savior? 

The world is full of wonderful, kind people. I see it around me every day. I am the lucky recipient of an astounding amount of love and compassion from family, friends and neighbors. The kindness of others gives me faith in mankind. 

I know this is not my typical blog post, but this is not the typical week. I didn't feel like it would be appropriate to do my normal geeky/goofiness. Thank you for letting me speak with reverence. 

I will be taking the next two weeks off of blogging for the holidays, so this is my last post of the year. But I don't want to end on a sad note; so guess what? 

I have a very special gift for each and every one of you. That's right--you are all winners this month! 

I am releasing my book early so you can have it for Christmas! It's almost like I'm wrapping a present and putting it underneath your tree. Except it can't go under your tree, unless you put your Kindle or iPad under your tree once you have the book downloaded.  (Hey, would you do that and send me a picture with my book on the screen of your tablet/smartphone/laptop/other electronic device? I would love to see it underneath your tree! Email it to me at folksinmt at gmail dot com.)

Here's my awesome cover:


And here's the awesome book blurb:


Princess Illianah does not expect her arranged marriage will end in happily-ever-after, however, she knows she will be bound to her new husband all the days of her life. But it is not until war breaks out and she is torn from her husband and her homeland that she begins to truly understand the meaning of love.

And here's the link to get your ebook for free. BUT! It is only free TODAY and TOMORROW. So don't delay! Get yours right away! And tell your family and friends to grab a copy too. It could be your gift to them.  

Thank you for your friendship BlogAway friends. You guys make the internet a better place. Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas and may your New Year be bright! 


Love, 
Me

9 comments:

The Rowley's said...

Yay! I am so excited to read it!
And I loved your post today. It has really been a heartbreaking week...I cant even imagine losing one of my kids.

Nicole Jessop said...

I downloaded mine! This week has been so devastating. It was so hard to come to work yesterday and walk by all of the kindergarten classrooms. We're so blessed to have our families and to be together for the holidays.

Anne said...

I had the hardest time dropping my kids off at school yesterday. My heart breaks for those families! I am so grateful for eternal families!

Thanks for the download! We've been battling with the flu around here and a book to read sounds just about right to me :)

Jennifer Lovell said...

I can't wait for everyone to read this--you guys are going to love it! I downloaded mine, and am spreading the word on facebook and to my relatives. Thanks for the fun gift!

Merry Christmas, Lori : ).

Lori Folkman said...

Thanks for the kind words guys! And thanks for downloading my book! Anne-sorry you guys have the flu- how miserable! Get better soon!

PaulaShawn said...

Hey Lou, I like your reverent words. I think the goings on of the week are poignant reminders of the immeasurable value of the birth of that little babe more than 2000 years ago. We all need Him; the little victims, the families, the siblings, the loved ones, the grieving citizens of our nation, the family of the shooter, and the shooter himself. We all are in desperate need of a Redeemer. None of us can do it alone. It saddens me to think of the violence that ended the life of the Christmas babe, but it also illustrates how he really did "take upon him the pains and sicknesses of his people. And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people, according to their infirmities (Alma 7). We ALL need Him, and thankfully his life experiences give him the ability to comfort us, even in the midst of horrific modern day violence.

I pray that all people touched by this scarring event will let the Healer touch them. He can heal completely. And I pray that all people broken by this will have impressions to look for things to be thankful for and then be able to see the loving hand of their Father in their lives.

Have you heard of 26 Acts of Kindness in honor of the victims? Some people are doing 28, too. I like the idea.

Confession - I kind of hope the Mayans are right!!

Your book looks excellent, if I'm allowed to judge a book by its cover. Can't wait to read it! I should get on Facebook so I can announce it to the world. Thanks for the early gift!

Little Miss Devree said...

Thank you Lori! I shared your book with my mommy! Since I'm home I should be able to get some fun reading it! I'm glad I looked at your blog tonight or I would have missed this special offer! Thanks again! Merry Christmas and happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Heather- I thank you for your kind words about those sweet angels. I've had the scripture that Christ says about the children running thru my mind non stop. And Paula's words are beautiful. Um..... I missed the download- bummer! And happy holidays.

Lori Folkman said...

Paulashawn: there's this new thing on the internet: it's called a blog. You should get one. (If you can write a COMMENT like that, you can write a blog!) I hope the Mayans are wrong because Josh Groban has a new album coming out in Feb. and I will be super sad if I don't get to hear it. :(

Devree: glad you made it home college girl! Eat lots and lots of good food and even stash some in your suitcase so you don't have to eat moldy bread when you get back to ID. Enjoy your reading time!

Heather: you snooze you lose. Or in this case: you get busy during the holidays, you lose. Sorry you missed it! You'll have to sit next to Anne while she's reading. It can be a bonding experience.