Thursday, May 2, 2013

Winning Trees

Weird week, huh? I'm not sure what's to blame for the sluggishness of the blog traffic, but I have a few theories.

1. No one wants a paperback book that is about trees when, ya know, trees died to make the paperback. Oh the irony!
2. There was an internet outage throughout 1/3 of the Western United States.
3. No one likes to listen to whining/complaining/boohooing.
4. Everyone is staying off the internet so they don't accidentally read Iron Man 3 spoilers.
5. It's just a fluke

Just so you know, I always, always appreciate the time you guys spend reading, comment or no comment, and I completely understand when you don't have time to read or comment. I have a hard time keeping up with all the blogs I love to visit too! Thank you from the bottom of my keyboard (where your treasure is there will be your heart also) for making the time for me. You guys are the best!

Before I tell you who the winners are (Jenna and Nicole, you were neck and neck there for a while), I'm going to tell you about that other thing. I recently read through the first novel I wrote, which was completed more than a decade ago! I had hopes of revising it and getting it ready for publication, but guess what? IT IS TERRIBLE! I mean TERRIBLE! It was a true practice novel. But rather than just putting it back on the shelf to gather more dust--or worse, dousing it in lighter fluid and putting it on the grill--I realized that the book can still be good for something. I can use it to teach how NOT to write a novel. So, starting today, there will be a post every week with a different lesson in writing. But not on this blog! Oh no, that would be too confusing! It's on this blog right here. And I'll add a linky to it somewhere yet to be determined that will always stay on the blog background.



I realize that this new blog isn't for everyone. It's only for the coolest of the cool. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.) It's for aspiring authors or anyone who is interested in the mechanics of writing. If this topic doesn't interest you, no sweat! I won't feel bad if you don't read it. But surely you know someone who is interested in writing don't you? It's as common a hobby as making prom dresses out of duct tape. So be a share bear and spread the news!





OK, enough about me. It's back to you. Let's see who won the book written by ... ME! (I'm so narcissistic!)

I clicked Random.org twice to get our two winners ... and they are: #1 and #5. Wahoo Jenna and Team C! Although this makes me feel super bad for the other three who didn't win. How about I offer you guys the book at a discount? Email me if you want to take me up on the offer. But Jenna and Team C, I'll be sending your book in the mail shortly! (Hey Team C, didn't you just move? Shoot me a line with your new address!)

Thanks everyone for all the support!

5 comments:

Livingstonslifeinmontana said...

I did not fall off the edge of the earth!!! My computers and some other items that I wont mention...are giving me a pain in the neck...in fact today I am trying desperately to retrieve some pictures and documents to a flash drive before the whole thing crashes...which might prove fruitless.
Looking forward to reading your other blog. I think you should look into redoing the Whitefish story. I really liked that one. AND what happened to Wilder Times??????? If you don't write it, you have to tell me what you think would have happened! :)

Anonymous said...

Ok, you finally made me comment.....no more secret reading. Don't change your first book too much, we absolutely loved it (kt and many, many of her friends who borrowed it). You are awesome. you go girl! Is that still an ok phrase?
SIS # 1

Jennifer Lovell said...

Yaaaaaaaayyyy!!! I so wanted to win this week, so yay hooray!

And I can't wait to read your new blog. You know I have so much to learn as a writer, all of the tips and tricks are always astounding to me, so I'm excited to learn new things from you in this regard. Best of luck in its new beginnings!

Lori Folkman said...

DISCLAIMER: I feel like Everybody Loves Raymond's mom! Did I give you guys a major guilt trip or what? :)

Livingstonslifeinmt: I was worried Janice offended you last week with her off-color remark. Glad it's just your computer. Oh wait, I don't mean that. I feel your pain sista! Computer woes really cripple you, don't they? Wilder Times will be available for purchase next week!!! PSYCH! But maybe by the end of the year. I'll get cracking!

SIS #1: I thought pigs had flown when dad got an iPad, but now I know pigs have officially gotten jet packs! I'm flabbergasted that you left me a comment! Thank you! Yes, you can still say "you go girl," See how hip you are? I loved Mae too, and still love the plot, but the writing? Ick, ick, ick! I think a 6th grader could do better! Hey, want to meet half-way and have lunch someday? Maybe in St. Ignatius? :)

Lori Folkman said...

Jenna: We were commenting at the same time, only you were faster. I'm so happy that you're so happy! And if you're happy and I'm happy, that means the entire world is happy! Wahoo!