Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Space Toast and Jam

So tomorrow is the day we leave Earth.

What? Haven't you heard?

All of the Earth's water has been contaminated! Our trees are dying! Soon, we will be without oxygen! So while the smartest people on Earth gather to find solutions to these urgent, sorta life-or-death problems (they didn't invite me to join their coalition, which is both surprising and offensive), the rest of us will be boarding the intergalactic spaceship the INTERGALACTICABALACTICA, where we will live amongst the stars like Robin Leach until the Earth is re-inhabitable.


Don't worry, all of your family and friends will be boarding with you and you'll get to bring all of your prized possessions along. The INTERGALACTICABALACTICA has a heated pool, a gym complete with rock-climbing walls, maid-service, and best of all--you will never have to cook another meal! In fact, you won't be eating meals anymore: all you have to do is take 3 pills daily and all your nutritional requirements will be met. You won't be hungry and you'll never have to worry about overeating! Won't this be the best?

What? You'll miss eating? Yeah, me too.


Since we have one day left on Earth, let's eat it up! Three meals, plus snacks! No limits! No worries about calories since we'll all be super thin on board the INTERGALACTICABALACTICA. But there are some guidelines to follow:

1. One meal must be eaten at someone's house. Whose food do you like eating the most?
2. One meal must be home cooked, by YOU! What is your favorite meal to make?
3. One meal must be eaten out. What's your favorite resturant?
4. You can include a snack or two, if you wish.

And then finally:
5. You need to take one seed with you so you can help reseed Earth once we are allowed back. What one fruit or veggie would you desperately want to have once we can grow food again? And try not to bring the same seed as someone else since we will want our garden to be diverse.

So, for my last day on Earth, I'm going to eat:
1. Breakfast at my mom's house. Oatmeal with WHOLE milk and sugar, homemade toast with homemade strawberry jam and some OJ. Yum. Yum.
2. Lunch at my house. I will make a Titan protein shake (they've been discontinued! For realz guys! I'm dying!) and eat it with a hand full of almonds. Yes, my homemade meals are THAT good.
3. Dinner at Cafe Rio. Pork Nachos! Need I say more?
4. Snack: More almonds please. And maybe a piece of chocolate cake with cold milk.
5. And the seed I will bring is ... is ... this is super hard! You know how much I love avocados, right? I believe that the avocado was the forbidden fruit that Eve picked off the tree in the Garden of Eat-in. So this might shock you: I'm not going to bring an avocado seed. I'm going to bring a lime seed. Almost every recipe I love needs limes, therefore, I will need limes over avocados. But someone else bring an avocado seed please!

Tell me what you are going to eat on your last day on Earth. (And thanks to TEAM C for suggesting this awesome last meal idea! Food is the best topic. Should we just become a food blog permanently? And then a diet blog after that?)

Also, congrats to Steve and Nicole on the birth of their beautiful little princess!!! Isn't she precious?


Congrats guys, we are so happy for you!

Annnnd, yes! There will be a prize this week. I'll pull a winner from this week's thread, but I'll give you guys all the way until THURSDAY night to post a comment. I'll announce the winner and the prize on FRIDAY. Do you want to be the winner? Yes, you do!

12 comments:

Jennifer Lovell said...

This comment is from my daughter AUDREY (age 9), who has always wanted a chance at winning your drawing ;). I thought this would be a fun week for her to leave a comment. Here is her reply:

#1: The meal I would have would be pasta at my neighbor Barb's house, for dinner. She makes the best pasta I've ever had.

#2: For breakfast, I would have scrambled eggs, milk, and toast (as long as someone else cleans the pan, 'cause I hate that part).

#3: I would go to Friendly's for lunch, and get hamburgers and french fries.

#4: For a snack I would have oranges, and I would have cotton candy.

#5: I would take a pommegranate seed for a pommegranate tree.

Nicole Jessop said...

I love that you chose her, "I will kill you for disturbing me" look picture :) It's secretly one of my favorites

1- I would eat breakfast at my mom's house and have French toast and bacon and eggs. Mmm...
2- For my meal (this is really a tough one!), I think I would make roasted garlic mashed potatoes, stuffed mushrooms, shrimp, and stir fry vegetables. This one might be dinner.
3- For lunch, I guess I'll be going out to Joe's Crab Shack. Steve would be so disappointed in me for not saying Tucano's, but I would rather have crab legs (!)
4- For snacks.... I'm going to eat junk food if it's my last time to eat food. Ice cream and little debbie's and pop.
5- Since you've got the limes covered, I think I'll bring a seed for broccoli. I love eating broccoli :)

Jennifer Lovell said...

It's me this time, Jenna :).

1- My breakfast would be at the restaurant. That would be Rachael's Creperie in Lancaster. I have only actually eaten there for dinner before, but what I get everytime is the same--a Santa Fe Crepe (it has like the most delicious omelet inside plus chicken), and that could easily be eaten for breakfast. I never eat dessert foods in the morning (donuts, cake muffins), but I could definitely stand a fruit crepe with whipped cream for my breakfast dessert on my last day on earth.

2- For lunch I would eat at home. I will have made the food for myself (per your instructions), but I will have made it the night before, because eating great foods the next day WITHOUT all the prep makes the food taste so much better to me :). I would like to make that leftover spinach lasagna.

3- I'd love to have my final dinner in Spain! I want a giant paella that is half seafood, half chicken. OH YUM. For dessert (again), I would have flan! Made from scratch by Spanish hands, of course--not the kind made by Jello!

4- As a snack, I'll go for some fresh fruit and veggies, plus a little Spanish tortilla (like a thick potato omlete cut into large cubes that you eat with your fingers).

What a great day!

For my seed, I think I'll go for the orange seed. I LOVE eating oranges right off of the tree. I'd sure miss my apple a day though, so can I please take two seeds? Or three? Tomatoes. Okay, now I'm done.

Lori Folkman said...

Audrey: Hello! Nice to *meet* you! I hate cleaning the toast pan too: what a pain. Ha ha, just kidding. Oh a burger and fries sounds so good right now. Maybe I should change my dinner out to 5 Guys Burgers and Fries. Do you have those where you live? Best fries on Earth! And probably in our entire solar system ... guess we'll find out soon!

MommyNicole: SO awesome that you are a mommy now! A sleep deprived mommy! I think I give that same look as baby girl when someone wakes me up too early. :) Can I come to your house for that home cooked meal? That sounds delish! (but without the shrimp, just because I'm a seafood vegan or whatever). I'm glad you are bringing broccoli: baked broccoli is the best!

Jennaanotherawesomemomma: How cool are you that you include your children in our blogging fun? You should get a second Mother's Day this year. Look at you thinking outside of the box and going overseas for a meal! I wish I would have thought of that. I could go straight to Rio and find a Cafe Rio there, couldn't I? Although, if I was in Rio I would probably be mistaken for a hot Brazilian model and then I would get taken to a beach for a photo shoot and I would be surrounded by thousands of adoring fans and then I'd miss my flight on the INTERGALACTICAWHATEVERICALLEDIT and we don't want that to happen, do we? I better just stay here in Montana, just to be safe. Your apple a day line reminded me of my mom's apple pie. I should have added that too. Dang. I did it all WRONG!!!

Little Miss Devree said...

Weeeelllll.... This should be fun!

1. I would have breakfast at my grandma's (prior to dementia) and I'm have grandpa's mush(with cinnamon, apple bits, oatmeal, and NUTS!), hot cakes( with mommy's homemade syrup), orange juice with the pulp, and fresh grape fruit. OH! And BACON! I almost left that out! (I probably wouldn't have room for all that but those are all the things I LOVE for breakfast there.)

2. Lunch would be Cuban empanadas that I made because those are deliciamous and I could eat them forever.

3. For dinner I'd eat at Claim Jumper's. I'd have a big juicy steak with peas and potatoes and corn and Apple Beer. (I don't actually know if they do all that because I haven't been there in forever. then I'd have a slice of their mother load chocolate cake that has fudge between the layers, is frosted with fudge, and covered in walnuts!

5. for snacks I'd have shelled pistachios (i'm lazy), a mango, and corn on the cob.

Wow all this food together is more than I'd eat in three days on Christmas break(I eat my most at that time. Oh I'm so hungry for good food now. Just a month and a little more. Then I can go home where they will feed me REALLY well and I won't have to eat like a poor, starving college kid for 7 weeks.

Little Miss Devree said...

Man! I forgot my seed! Well if tomatoes are covered I'd go with cucumbers. And peas. And corn. Okay, I'll be done.

Lori Folkman said...

LittleMissDevreeCutestCollegeGirlIKnow: What would breakfast be like at grandma's after dementia? That might be a good topic right there. My sweet aunt suffered short-term memory loss and once served me soup with chicken nuggets in it. I think they might have been leftover from McDonalds. Mmm, tasty! I have never had Cuban empanadas before. If I come over, will you make them for me? I will shell pistachios for you. Deal? I'm sorry if your stomach was growling while you were writing this. You probably had Ramen for dinner, didn't you? I still can't eat them because of my 1 year of college--it ruined them FOREVER! Oh if you bring a cucumber seed that means we can have pickles too! That will come in handy the next time someone is pregnant. AND THAT BETTER NOT BE YOU DEVREE!

Didi said...

Yay, I think I barely made it in time!

1. I'm going to agree with Audrey. Not necessarily for dinner, but I want to go to my neighbor Barb's house and have her delicious pasta.

2. My favorite meal to make is...Well I don't make any meals, but I make desserts! Um...I don't want to go with desserts for breakfast...so I'll just say, I will make some toast and cut an apple. That counts, doesn't it?

3. And for lunch, I will go to Taco Bell, and eat a supreme burrito, with lemonade. And cinnamon twists on the side.

4. This is hard to choose, but I would have to go with jelly beans as a favorite snack. Or, Baked Lays chips.

5. For my seed, I will save a cherry seed. I love cherries, and the trees are so fun to climb, while you're picking the cherries.

: )

bigskyboys said...

Food glorious food!

Breakfast at my parents. My Dad cooks up a mean breakfast. Ham and cheese omlets, cinnamon drop toast & fresh squeezed oj.

Lunch at home. Cafe Rio pork enchalatas, rice and black beans.

Dinner out at Mambos. Pasta Ravenna.

I'm sure at this pt I would have eaten way too much but I'm sure I'd find room for some chocolate chip cookies along the way.

I'm afraid my seed would have to be something boring like wheat. The staff of life.

Lori Folkman said...

Didi: you almost missed the spaceship! That would have been scary! Phew. So I'm just wondering: will you guys tell your neighbor Barb that you are coming over to eat her food, or will you just sneak in when she's gone? :) Hey we still have leftover jelly beans from Easter: come on over and I'll let you eat them!

bigskyboys: The wheat! I didn't even think of that. Good thing I'm not in charge of our departure from Earth! I didn't know you like Cafe Rio too: lets drive to Missoula and go to lunch someday, like when school starts again, then you'll only have 1 child at home. What will you do with yourself? Oh, I know what you'll do, you'll harvest your wheat crop!

PaulaShawn said...

Do you ever feel left out? I so missed the party! And I just learned right here right now that I have a new grand niece! Where have I been? Congrats to the new parents. You will feel & learn more through your child than you can ever dream of. Beautiful!!!!

I know I was left behind in earth - don't worry, I'm more than good with that (I don't think my medicine covers space flight). But I'll still contribute to the feast.

My meal at another's home would be anything and anywhere but my own. I believe my mom's cooking ranks at the top.

My own meal would be cinnamon Life with a resurrected body. Pre that blessed event I would have salmon & wild rice.

I would eat @ Cafe Rio or my favorite GF pizza in Moab.

Snacks are frozen fudge bars. And my seed would be bananas.

But like I say, I'm more than happy here in earth!

Lori Folkman said...

PaulaShawn: I messaging you from outer space. It's dark out here. And cold. We are sorry you're not on board with us, but this means you are one of the geniuses left behind to fix our planet. I always knew you were smarter than me! And thinner than me: look how small your list is! I am slightly offended that you didn't pick my house to eat at. In fact, I'm REALLY mad. I'm not going to talk to you for awhile. Like for 3 weeks. Enjoy the silence. (Oh ... wait, I just ripped on myself, didn't I?)