Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Games People Play

Hi! How's your stomach doing? Has it shrunk back to size? Our Thanksgiving was so yummy--that's because I didn't cook! We had a great time going over the river and through the woods (literally) to go to Grandma's house. You know what one of my favorite things about being with family is? (Besides the food.) Playing games.


At home, I'm usually too lazy preoccupied to sit and play games with the kiddos. Sad, I know. My younger kids played Battleship for the first time at grandma's house, which is just pathetic because it is one of my favorite games. I played it all the time with the older boys back in the day when they liked to hang out with me. And oddly enough, I was super competitive at Battleship. I had a hard time letting the kids win because I could not let my ships sink! (If you ever had the misconception that I'm a good mother, I bet this paragraph just banished that thought entirely.) (And BTW, what the heck was up the Battleship movie? I would rather watch Barbie Fairytopia than Battleship.)

Some people say that Board Games leave you bored, but I disagree. I love board games. Other favorites:
Monolpoly
Life
Clue
And ... Aggravation! Have you played it?  It's a family favorite.


More favorites from my childhood:
Connect Four
Perfection
(Those last two aren't technically board games. What are they though?)
Also, along the lines of Connect Four, we got Tetris Link last year and we love it.

Card Games?
I'm not a huge fan of most card games, likely because I stink at them, but I do love UNO.

Electronic Games:
Anyone remember this one?


I would love to have this game. Why don't they make it anymore? They make different versions, but they're ... different.

And speaking of electronic games: any of you gals like to play Video Games? I used to love, love, love Frogger, Sonic, and Need for Speed. There was a point in my life where I would get callouses from playing for too long. Crazy, huh? But that was back before I had so many children and writing was just a hobby. I don't play video games anymore, mostly because they are way too advanced for me, but I would like to get this one, just so everyone can laugh at me.

(I know it's been out for a bajillion years already, but we are late to join the revolution.)

How about Cell Phone games? I've never been a cell phone gamer. I've never even cleared the first level of Angry Birds. (GASP!) But we did love this one. We even had a birthday party based off this game.

I downloaded this one over the weekend because I figured I needed something to do in the car, but guess what? I got addicted to it!


And it's horrible. I actually hate it. It is so stressful. I should probably check my blood pressure while I'm playing because I'm sure it is through the roof. Being a short-order cook is something I could never do--yet I'm doing it for recreation. Weird, huh?

Do you play Verbal Games like I Spy? We love that one. The kids also love to play "I'm going on a trip and ..."

Tell us all about all the games you like to play! And just think, your suggestions might help someone do their Christmas shopping. Don't you love being a helper?

And ... it's the last week of November so that means it's prize time. But! I want to do something different this time. I was going to ask if that's OK with you, but then I remembered it's my blog and I can do ANYTHING I WANT. (Did that sound braty? I didn't mean it to. So sorry.)

So here's the deal: the prize will be selected from this week's comment, but it's a game. A SIMPLE game. I'm thinking of a number between 1-50. The one who guesses closest without going over is this week's winner! Keep a close eye on the comments so you don't guess the same number as another person. OKAZAY?

So tell us all about your favorite games, guess the number, and come back Thursday and I'll announce the prize. 

14 comments:

Nicole Jessop said...

I love board games! Some favorites are: Uno, Candyland, Scrabble, Connect Four, Battleship, Clue, Mad Gab, and Catchphrase.

I don't like a whole lot of video games anymore because the motion and graphics make me sick. But for Steve's birthday last year we bought an old nintendo and super nintendo system and we LOVE playing that! We have all of the old games we played from when we were kids and we like to sit down and play together. It's currently MIA and we need to get it going again. My sister and I played Dance Dance a lot in high school and college and I still have all of the games. It's pretty fun.

On my phone, I love to play Ninjump, Unblock me, Flow, and Draw Something (which is kind of funny, because I hate pictionary). Oh, and I like playing Freecell and solitare.

My number will be.... 32.

The Edgertons said...

Love games! A few family favs are;

Risk, Clue, Battleship, Scattergories, Mastermind, Perfection, Yahtzee, Simon, Bop It, and Farkel. I personally love to play Scrabble. My family not so much. So I play on the computer.

Fav games when the kiddos were younger; Operation, Cootie, Chutes and Ladders, Twister.

We have all the Just Dance for the Wii. A lot of FUN!

This Christmas, we are trying Headbandz, as our Christmas Eve game. I will let you know how it is.

No cell phone, games for me.

My number is 18.

Livingstonslifeinmontana said...

Over the Thanksgiving we played SPOONS! (I still have a sore finger from it)
On Sunday afternoons we like to play Uno and Apples to Apples. We also like Life, Clue, Battleship, backgammon, candyland, checkers, Phase 10.
When I was young I loved Mousetrap and Payday and solitaire.
At our family reunions the adults play Trains (which is addicting) and Pit. My brother brings his Wii Michael Jackson Dance game, and I must say I was getting a pretty good score on Smooth Criminal! (not)
my number is 17.

Anonymous said...

I like games as long as they move fast. Chess, checkers and the other of that nature require time and thoughts of the deep that I don't possess. I love monster physics! It's a phone game that actuallyoves and requires some stratagem.
We recently got Risk for our boys, they love it. What more could a boy ask for, multiple armies fighting for world domination.... Ezra loves to play slap jack.
We don't have any video games. We are way out of the loop. So if you'd like to send me a wii for my game prize I won't complain. However as a kid I loved playing mario brothers.
My # 37
Heather

Little Miss Devree said...

Well my friends and I love playing Quelf and Curses was pretty fun. But with the family I like playing Acquire, Creature Feature, mobile Catch Phrase, Apples to Apples, Zonk, Trumps, card games. We usually only play Phase 10 and Mexican train with more people though. I love games! I’m the game queen! j/k I adore recreation sort of things; movies, games, music, fun books. Noble’s friends played Risk-opoly. It’s a mix between Risk and Monopoly. Whenever you fight for a territory, you play a game of Monopoly to see who wins it. It took a few weeks.
In the car we’ll play catch phrase, movie lines, or encore. Noble and I play movie lines in our e-mails every week while he’s gone on his mission (94 days!). I’ll say a movie line and he’ll guess what movie then he’ll say a line. Encore is some thinks of a word or category then we have to think of as many songs as we can until we run out. Dane is usually the only one that plays it with me because I’m so good. Noble was a challenge though!
My number is 3 because it’s my favoritest!

The Rowley's said...

We love Settlers and Ticket to Ride at our house...both strategy gmaes. I like games where you have to think and are pretty detailed. But I also love card games...any card game really. In fact I really just love all games. I used to like Monopoly...but Chad beats me every time so i hate playing with him!

My number: 39

Jennifer Lovell said...

Hi Lori,

You're totally stressing me out with this "simple game". My first choice in number was going to be 44, but you said the winner will be the closest to your number "without going over", so 44 doesn't seem like a good choice because it is OVER 43 of the numbers you could have chosen. So then I thought, "I'll choose 34, 'cause it still has a 4 in it (my lucky number), but it's close to my age and that's more fun. But then I saw all the other people picking numbers in the 30s, and so HECK...I'm just going to pick 4. My number is 4. I guess it's stressing me out 'cause I'm not too good at games that require strategy. In my family, we might say that I'm not a "stratageek". My Chess skills stink. Same with Settlers of Catan (not fun for me).

But hey, I love most other games! Sometimes I can get really competitive. I like games of chance (maybe I should think of your number game as a game of chance!), and had LOTS of fun playing Yahtzee and Farkle with my kids during the Thanksgiving break.

Our favorite family board games are Zooreeka! (a Cranium game--the best one), Sorry, and Scrabble. Speed Scrabble is great too, but I know it's not for everyone (not everyone loves spelling like me...I guess that makes me a spellingeek?).

I LOVED that Simon game! I like playing 20 Questions in the car. I used to love my Atari games when I was a kid (Frogger, Pitfall, Donkey Kong, Pac Man), but now I won't touch video games with a ten-foot pole (I know I would find it addicting and I don't want to like it). One of my other favorite old games that we have a new version of is "Master Mind". Do you know that game with all the colored pegs?

When we get together when I got to Montana someday, I want to play a board game with you. K? : )

Didi said...

Goodness. I have so many different favorite board games. I guess I 'll just list... A LOT. Here goes.


I like... Life, Checkers, Chess, Monopoly, Farkle, Yahtzee, Zooreka, Cadoo, Jenga, Racko, Scattergories, Scrabble, Okay. I won't name them all. But a few video games are: pac man, pokemon, wii sports, wii play,new Super mario brothers wii, Doodle jump, cooking mama, (one I don't know the name of, it's a smart test or something), angry birds, just dance 3, webkinz, and club penguin.:)

My number at first thought, just like JazznJenna was 44. That is one of my favorite numbers. But hten, I also thought that it could be too high. So I'll pick one of my other lucky numbers. 12. So my number is 12.

Lori Folkman said...

Nicole: We would get along so well--we like all the same games! And Pictionary! Ugh. I draw like a 2 year old. You should take Steve to an arcade for date night sometime. He'd love you forever. (Oh wait, he already does!)

Edgertons: oh, Bop It is so addictive! And it can also make you crazy when someone is playing it in the next room. :) Yes, let me know about Headbandz. It looks fun.

Livingstons: I haven't played spoons since high school. Did you guys hang them from your noses as well? I must see the Smooth Criminal dance someday.

Heather: I'm not patient enough for chess either. Or maybe I'm not smart enough. Hmm. ... What were we talking about? (It works well to forget things because I don't remember anything about you asking for a Wii.

Little Miss Devree: I love Mexican train! (But is that politically correct? Shouldn't it be Hispanic Transit System?)The Risk-Monopoly combo idea is hilarious! How did you guys keep it out that long and not lose any pieces? That is a true miracle!

Rowley's: That mean old Chad. Doesn't he know he's supposed to lose to keep the peace in the home? Maybe if you trade the money in for coupons for household chores he might be more inclined to lose. ;)

JazznJenna: Thank you for sharing your number-picking strategy with us. :) You are funny. I'm sorry to stress you. Yes, when you come to Montana, we can sit in a park and play checkers. I do hope you come in the summer. And you're asking me about a game called Master Mind? Ha ha. Ha ha. Ha ha. If it was called Lame Brain, I would be able to tell you all about it.

Didi:I like Life too. (That one was a knee slapper!) We have a Monsters Inc. edition of Life and it is so fun! BTW: have you seen the trailer for Monsters II? It looks hilarious! I don't know Doodle Jump or Cooking Mama. I will have to look them up--but if I get addicted, I will blame you!!!!

PaulaShawn said...

In my youth I loved to play chicken on bikes (remember how we got some garage sale bikes and used those to play chicken on?). I also loved Life and UNO and Monopoly. Now I like The Sign Game and this group memory type game that I can't remember the name of! I also like Apples to Apples and Cranium and Ticket to Ride and Scattergories and Chess and Checkers and Boggle and Scrabble. No one, I repeat NO ONE can beat me at Connect Four.

I guess #39 in your honor.

bigskyboys said...

I love card games even though I rarely win. Wizard, Spades, Hearts. Kesler loves battleship and we all like Blokus and guesstures.

#41

Janice said...

I also like the sign game and memory game Paulashawn mentioned. The sign game only took me a few years to catch on to, but now I love it! Growing up, Aggravation was my absolute favorite! I'd play it endlessly with my Aunt Lavae. I like most Cranium games and mainly games that make you laugh. I don't really get into the hard thinking, strategic, serious games. Probably because my brain can't handle it!

I always said Paulashawn is the idiot savant of Connect Four! She's right; no one can beat her!

Janice said...

Oops! My number shall be 16.

Lori Folkman said...

Paulashawn: do you not remember what happened to my forehead from playing chicken on bikes in the alley? I think that's what caused my brain damage. How ironic that you can't remember the name of a memory game. I can never remember to take my memory pills.

bigskyboys: I would suspect the games you like would be more along the lines of Wipe Out or The Amazing Race--and I mean the real life versions, not the video games. Do I need to send in an application for one of those shows for you?

Janice: you called your sister an idiot savant! I'm astonished. Just wondering if she goes cross eyed when she plays. That would be a sigh to behold. (Did you catch that pun?) We need a family game night! We need to live in the same state!