Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Sensational Summer

Hey! I'm late posting today, and not because I forgot, but because I broke Blogger. I wanted you guys to see how lovely Montana is in the summertime, but I added too many photos and a big error message popped up and said, LORI JUST GET ON INSTAGRAM! 

But alas, I have whittled down my photo montage to give you just the best of the West. 


This is Bannack, a ghost town in SW Montana










 I was worried because I didn't have my big camera when we stopped in Bannack, but my little cell phone did A-OK.


The canola fields in bloom in early July:





Same area, playing with filters:

Speaking of filters, I did something strange with this pic of a cabin in the mountains,
but it turned out sorta awesome.

Love how technology lets us look more talented than we really are. :)

Wheat field, back to using no filtas:

At my house, the sun after a heavy rainstorm:  

And what's a summer photo album without a picture of a lake? Here's Flathead:



Now you know what my summer has looked like; I want to know what you've been up to this summer. But since you can't post pictures in comments (lame Blogger!), you're going to have to use your senses and describe it to me. Remember when we did Christmas Senses? Let's do the same thing, but with summer. 

So, 

Summer sounds like: boats on the lake, kids playing in the water, foxes yelping in the night
Summer smells like: fresh huckleberries and the fresh, mossy smell of the forest
Summer looks like: heaven (see above)
Summer tastes like: Sweet Peaks Ice Cream and homemade huckleberry milkshakes
Summer feels like: warm sunshine on my face and shoulders, cold lake water on my toes. 

Your turn: share your summer senses with us! And make sure you stop back in 2 weeks, because I will have an awesome prize for ALL. (Hint, it rhymes with THE WITCH, but it has nothing to do with Halloween.) (Got it?)

8 comments:

A.D. Duling said...

Lovely photos. Thanks for sharing your adventure Lori!

Shark said...

Your pictures are beautiful! What a photographer you are.

By the way ... I've been wondering ... what is canola? I use canola oil all the time in my cooking, but I've never heard of anyone using straight canola as an ingredient.

Summer sounds like: scooters and bicycles and dogs outside in the neighborhood
Summer smells like: cut grass, and sweat after my long outdoor runs
Summer looks like: fireflies!!! And adorable wild bunnies in our yard
Summer tastes like: ice cream, watermelon, and barbecues (hamburgers and hotdogs--taste the best when enjoyed outdoors with friends)
Summer feels like: wind on my skin that since I'm wearing shorts and short sleeves, sometimes sunburns on my forehead and neck, and bare feet on the clover

Summer--as long as our air conditioner is working (which it is now, yay!), you're pretty dang awesome!

Lori Folkman said...

AD: Thank you! And nice to "see" you again!

Shark: Is this really Jenna logged into Shark's account or did a real, live Shark stop by? (I heard Sharknado 2 just happened, so anything is possible!) Canola is just used for oil, I don't think you would eat it plain. The fields are actually kinda stinky too, so that makes it unappetizing all on its own. ;) Love all your summer senses, but thanks to the BBQ part you made me hungry for a big juicy burger! Curses! Nothing like the smell of a BBQ to get you salivating. :) I would love to come see your fireflies someday! Do you guys ever catch them?

Jennifer Lovell said...

Oops, that Shark was me, you were right! Hee hee :)

Yes, we catch our fireflies sometimes. We let them land on our hands and they just sit there for a minute, but it seems like they stop twinkling if they're sitting on your hands, so I say it's more fun to let them stay in flight :).

Didi said...

I hope it is not too late, but here are some of my summer senses... :)

Summer sounds like: The pages of my book turning eagerly, my younger brother singing "The Eye of the Tiger" chorus over and over until we all lose it trying (with no luck) to get him to be quiet, instruments being practiced, cousins giggling at one in the morning

Summer smells like: my sister's nail polish, my craft paint, my dad's lemon juice, vinegar, and cinnamon, health drink, the baked goods my sister and I make (cupcakes, zucchini bread, soft pretzels, and peanut butter cookies) when they come out of the oven while the smoke alarm goes off because of how hot it gets when we take so long to get them out of the oven (I would put that in sounds but they kind of go together...)

Summer looks like: The new bed sets on my sister's, brother's and my bed, toys, Legos, and birthday presents scattered all over the family room floor, the sparkling bathtub I spent four hours cleaning just to do something nice (My sister and I were inspired by our neighbor, who keeps her house amazingly clean, and was scrubbing her kitchen floor on hands and knees, and looked like Cinderella:))as my sister pretended to advertise the cleaner she was using on the floor

Summer tastes like: Ice water, Amazing "Pennsylvania corn" that I am sure doesn't come from Pennsylvania, birthday cake, sugary treats that I am sure I shouldn't have any more of (and Saturday sweet cereal that always makes me sick, but somehow, I always talk myself into it.)

Summer feels like: My head sinking into my new heavenly pillow at night, mud squishing between my toes as we take my neighbor's daughter's dog out for a walk, and the newly acquired air conditioning after the summer sun makes you sweat even inside the house

So, that is pretty much my summer senses :)

Lori Folkman said...

Didi: look at you go, you little budding author! Great senses: I feel like I'm in your house, enjoying your summer right along with you. I would love the smell of your fresh baked goodies: yum! Want to come scrub my house like Cinderella? I promise I'll let you go to the ball after you're done! :)

Nicole Jessop said...

Summer sounds like: shrills of baby laughter and giggles
Summer smells like: sunscreen
Summer looks like: hours and hours of playing with just my baby and no work!
Summer tastes like: fresh vegetables and popsicles
Summer feels like: warmth, happiness, and carefree

Lori Folkman said...

Nicole! I would love to hear your baby giggles: I don't think she made a peep when I met her! Baby giggles are the best. Actually everything about babies are the best! Maybe I should have another. Ha ha. Ha. Ha. Love all your summer senses! And would love to be able to share more than 2 seconds of the summer with you!<3