Monday, December 7, 2015

The Gift of Music

Happy Holidays!

Are you guys enjoying the season thus far?

I feel more Christmassy than ever, and I attribute it to our awesome new tradition: THE NUTCRACKER.

This is Bean's second year participating in it, and I have fallen in love with the magical story, the beauty of ballet, and the MUSIC.

The music from the Nutcracker is among the most easily identifiable Christmas music, but I'd never heard it in its entirety. It is lovely and I could listen to it over and over again. It makes me happy.

Which brings me to this thought:

Nothing changes my mood more completely, or quickly, than MUSIC.

I know I have mentioned it before, like here, but I feel like music is one of the greatest gifts from God. I also believe that the music you listen to can determine your destiny.



Have you ever thought about that?

The lyrics and rhythm in the music you select influence your thoughts, and thoughts then turn to action.

If you are listening to lyrics which are riddled with profanities and promote one night stands, binge drinking, drugs and violence, guess what thoughts will be in your head?

That makes you want to check your teenager's iTunes library, doesn't it?

 I don't propose that you only let your kids listen to MoTab, but make sure they are introduced to good music at a young age. Teach them to understand how different types music make them feel, and as they grow they will be able to choose uplifting music for themselves. I also think it's important to embrace they music they listen to, as it gives you something to talk about and bond over. I love nothing more than when one of the kids say, "Mom, listen to this new song!" Music can unite your family.

With the hectic pace of the holiday season, as well the overabundance of materialism, if you want your home and your heart to be filled with peace, might I suggest cranking up the Christmas music? There's fun and fluffy Christmas music, but there is also beautiful, inspired Christmas music that makes your spine tingle--that is the stuff that should be blaring from your speakers.

I'm sure I've shared it before, but I'll share it again, just because it is THE AWESOMEST OF AWESOME. This song will get rid of Grinchyness quick!



And I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but will you try watching The Nutcracker? Here is a link to an absolutely amazing performance in Russia. I know it's long, but turn it on while you are baking cookies or wrapping gifts and get a glympse of it every once in awhile. The first part--the Party Scene--isn't as fun and as "dancy" as the rest, so if you want to start it at 40:00, you'll see the best stuff from then on. We've been watching/listening to it almost daily ever since finishing out local Nutcracker. Yes: even my boys will watch it. Which, BTW, my 2nd oldest participated as an extra in our Nutcracker and loved every second of it.

I heard something once about how just listening to music can inspire and invoke creative thoughts, but the effect is quadrupled when one PARTICIPATES in music. How can you participate if you are unmusical--like me? You can sing along, even if it's not on key! I've always admired people who have the guts to belt it out, no matter what their voice sounds like. You can also participate by dancing. This is something I don't do nearly enough (although my family might think that me dancing once a year is PLENTY). Brene Brown says, "I can measure the spiritual health of my family by how much dancing is happening in our kitchen." That sounds like a fun, happy family, and that's something we all long for. Give it a try!

Since I'm always on the lookout for something new to listen to: can you share with us your favorite Christmas music?  Do you also want to tell us about how music has influenced your life? Or anything else musical you want to share? And will you accept my challenge to watch the Nutcracker? (Your heads should be bobbing yes right now. That's also the start of your dance party. Keep nodding. Now add your shoulders. Now your feet should be tapping too ...)


3 comments:

Nicole Jessop said...

My favorite Christmas music includes: Polar Express soundtrack (Josh Groban's song Believe is my all time favorite Christmas song!), Vince Gill's first Christmas cd, The Chipmunk's Christmas, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, *NSync Christmas (don't judge me on some of these; they were my favorites growing up so I still listen to them), and... I think that's it.

Jennifer Lovell said...

I definitely want to watch your Nutcracker link! Thank you SO much for sharing that!! I've been known to check it out on video from the library since I haven't had the chance to see it live for some time. I love it.

One of my favorite Christmas CDs is called "A Big Fat Soul Christmas." It's all instrumental, it's jazz, and it's played by some friends of mine who are the bomb. I wish I could share it with you. If wanted to, you could look up David Halliday on youtube and see what an awesome saxophone player he is. Other than that, I love to listen to Kiri TeKanawa's Christmas concert, Handel's Messiah :), and I do love me some Michael Buble and Harry Connick Jr. Christmas music. I also just love to put my favorite Christmas movies on and listen to them in the background ... including the Muppet Christmas Carol. That has some really fun music in it! And, I love the song, "Where Are You Christmas." And ... and ... and ... I'm so glad it's still Christmas season for a almost three weeks still. Hooray!


Lori Folkman said...

Nicole: I love "Believe," but even better than that is his version of "It Came Upon ... a Really Long Titled Song." It's one of my all time favs. And coincidentally, your N'Sync Christmas was on the radio on my way home tonight. :) It made me smile. I won't judge because I may have once loved a band called New Kids on The Block. :)

Jenna: I love your long list you gave me to look up. Now I have something to do tomorrow. Haha. Didn't you love hearing MoTab do a song from the Messiah last night? Wish I could come to hear you sing it! Would you get mad at me if I sang along--out loud and off key? I wonder what other people in the audience would do if I did that. Tehe. Might be fun to do sometime. Then I could brag that I got kicked out of the Messiah! <3