Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Another Heavy Topic, But Not Heavy Metal

Earlier this month, we had a tragedy in my household: our Rhapsody account stopped working. 

You might think that the use of the word "tragedy" might be a bit traumatic, but let me assure you, it is not.

We use Rhapsody on our computers and our cell phones: that one music library (we've had it for several years and our library is HUGE) can be used by all our family, anywhere we go. But apparently, when we upgraded cell phones, something happened to our account and our cell provider is having a hard time restoring our service. Every time I call, they say it will be 48 hours before they get it fixed. And every time they say that, I feel like yelling, "I CANNOT SURVIVE ANOTHER 48 HOURS WITHOUT MY MUSIC!!!!"

Ahem.

If there is one thing I cannot live without, it is music. I have come to realize that I love music more than books. GASP! I might even love music more than food. But then again, we had elote over the weekend, so that makes it a pretty tough competition. 

We all know the power of music and we've all seen research on how music affects moods, etc. There was even a recent study on the effects of music on Alzheimer and dementia patients. Music affects first the soul, which then affects the mind, and then the body. That is one amazing force.



Homer (no, not that Homer. This Homer.) realized this way back before hundreds of scientific studies had been done on the power of music. In Homer's Odyssey, the sailors were warned not to listen to the Siren's song--their very souls were in danger! Trying to tempt Odysseus to their island, the Sirens said,

Oh, cease thy course, and listen to our lay!
Blest is the man ordain'd our voice to hear,
The song instructs the soul and charms the ear,
Approach! thy soul shall into raptures rise,
Approach! and learn new wisdom from the wise!

It is interesting to note that Homer perceived that the Sirens tempted the soul and not the flesh, yet since we have such a carnal nature, mythology transformed the Sirens into beautiful women whose bodies were seductive as well. I like the original imagery better though, as it really captures how music speaks to the soul with a power second only to deity.

Since music has such divine power, I can only imagine the fulfillment that would come from creating music. I believe that it is our desire to become closer to God that urges us to create. And that creation can be anything--whether it be sewing a blanket, painting a picture, or writing a book. But I would venture to guess that when you create something that uses the body, the mind and the spirit (like creating music) the experience can only be akin to actually creating life. Wowza. Can you imagine what it was like for Handle to create the Messiah? It gives me goose bumps just thinking about it.


(If I would have been Handel's organist and he showed me this sheet music, I would have been all, "You want me to play what??? Dude, you crazy!")

With this profound appreciation and respect I have for music, you might be asking why I'm not a musician. I DON'T KNOW! I think I got in the wrong line when talents were disbursed in Heaven. Or maybe the "Musicians" line was too long, so I jumped into the "Type Really Fast" line. I am still kicking myself about it. At least I didn't jump into the "Cowboy Poetry" line.

Music is not only a huge part of my life, but it is essential to my writing. I cannot write without it. Music is the key that unlocks my muse; if I'm not in the mood to write, all I have to do is listen to a few songs and words begin to pop up on the page. What do I listen to? I'm sure you are dying to know. It depends on what I am writing, but I will give you my list of must-have music:

Starting with Classical, my very favorite composers are:
Bach (with a special nod to Brandenburg Concerto No.3 as being the most beautiful piece of music ever written.)
Handel 
Vivaldi

Cross-over Classical
Sissel (The girl has the voice of an angel. It's not Christmas at our house until we listen to this.)
William Joseph. (The poor fella was born with six hands, but he somehow is able to keep them from getting tangled and creates the best piano music of the modern age.)
Josh Groban (Wikipedia says he was born in L.A., but that is a big-fat lie. He was born on an island near Italy and is in fact, the first-ever male Siren. But since you think of voluptous women when you say "Siren," we shall de-feminize the name and call him a "Himren." Do not sail your boat near his island. I warn you, do not! But don't put wax in your ears either, because then you wouldn't be able to hear his beautiful voice. So tie yourself to the mast! Quickly!)

My very favorite genre is Alt. Rock, and my all-time favorite bands include:
Matchbox 20
Goo Goo Dolls
Muse
Thirteen Senses
Angels and Airwaves 
The Killers
My Chemical Romance
I could go on and on, but HOLY COW this post is long!

Strangely enough, I am a native Montanan, but I do not like country! GASP! Not a bit of it. However, I do like Bluegrass, especially:
Alison Krauss and Union Station
Nickle Creek

The above listed genres are the types of music that speak to my soul. Dubstep does not speak to my soul, but rather vibrates my brain and gives me one big headache. That means I am not cool since I do not like all the same music my teens do.

What music speaks to you? Do you play/sing/compose? Do you play music constantly, or is it just background noise? Who tops your list of favorite musicians? Please share!

17 comments:

Nicole Jessop said...

Yay, I love music! Okay, I am a singer, but it mostly involves the shower and the car. What I listen to depends on what I'm doing and my mood. Country tops my favorites list and I am working desperately to get Steve to like enough to go to a concert with me. But, he does tolerate listening to it now if I am, which is a huge improvement on when we first started dating. I like to rock out to country when I'm cleaning, showering or getting ready for my day. I like to listen to everything when I'm driving. Linkin Park, top 40, Journey, classic rock, music from when I was in middle school.... doesn't matter what it is, as long as I can sing to it. And lastly, when I work or do homework, I have to listen to movie scores. I have a few very favorite composers: John Williams (Star Wars and Harry Potter), Howard Shore (Lord of the Rings and Eclipse), Alexandre Desplat (Harry Potter, New Moon), Danny Elfman (Nightmare before Christmas, Alice in Wonderland), Hans Zimmer (Pearl Harbor). I think those are definitely my top favorite. I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones on my pandora that always have a thumbs up, no matter what the song is.
No matter what I am doing, there is always going to be some music on. I just work better in general with it.

Livingstonslifeinmontana said...

I am excited to be first today, especially since I missed last week.
I LOVE Music! I can't say more than books, but I defenitly enjoy music more often than I do books, because we have it going on constantly, whether from the computer, ipod or the children playing one of their instrumenets. Its a real treat to hear the children play the piano through the day....voluntarily!!!!

I enjoy all types of music....We listen to Disney Songs often, I love oldies like The Beatles and The Monkeys and The Turtles and ELIVS!! (Beach Boys)

I love many classical composers, but my favorite composer is Chopin and my daughter Emily is learning my favorite nocturne by him on the computer..it is heavenly!!!

I love church music as well, Joseph a nashville tribute is one of my favorites.

Love musical soundtracks..wicked, Oklahoma, Yentl, Annie, Guys and Dolls, Newsies

Love Bruda IZ and Michael Bubles

I love Bing Crosby for Christmas and one my favorite Christmas Albums is Billy Gilman!

I really could go on and on.....
We started Itunes this fall and I think I have accumulated enough music to listen to a different song for 5 days!!!!!

Livingstonslifeinmontana said...

OH!!! When I started typing I was FIRST!!!!! Took too long deciding what to type!!! Curses!!

Livingstonslifeinmontana said...

OK I meant Michael Buble!! duh

Nicole Jessop said...

That's funny, because as I was typing I was thinking that it was taking me so long that someone would post before I was done. But this is the last week of school, so I won't be first again until September when I have to get up early again :)

Lori Folkman said...

Now girls, there is no need to push to the front of the line! There is plenty of room for everyone. Do I need to designate a line leader?

Nicole: I'm glad Steve is improving his taste--tell him his preferred genre is sadly lacking. :) I do hope you are planning on competing in the Rock Band challenge in two weeks!

LivingstonslifeinMT: who is the Bubles guy? Does he sing on the soundtrack for Finding Nemo? :) Avery took over our iTunes account long ago, so I stick with Rhapsody so I don't get a random song that sounds like a robot breaking down.

Bakerfam said...

Music is a fun topic, I love music. I am not much fun with my choices though.
I mostly listen to New Age Spa/Relaxation/Reiki music because that is what I massage to.
My top picks for running is Alt.Rock and Techno, it MUST have a good beat- that would not mean that I know any of the words to do a reunion band.
Just to calm myself down at night, I like to listen to Rob Gardner, William Joseph and Jenny Oaks Baker and anything calm in the Classical department.
Lori, if your not the muscian, where did your boys get it from?

Anne said...

Music is so fun! I really enjoy most music.

When I'm running/working out I like anything from The Killers, to Katy Perry...little bit embarrassed to admit that! As long as it upbeat.

Chill'en out music: Favorites are: Jack Johnson, Cold Play, Death Cab for Cutie, and maybe sometimes Carrie Underwood/Taylor swift/Adele

Relaxation: Classical or New Age. Or Instrumental hymns. (not a big fan of listening to people sing them) Or Hilary Weeks/Mindy Glendhil

Fun music: I have to admit I still have a soft spot for some good old Dean Martin or just 50's/60's.

So really to sum it up... throw anything but rap at me and I am in depending on my mood!

Devree said...

Oooh! I have my iTunes going right now. I've had to find all my songs over the past month because we're trying to transfer it all onto my laptop for college. I have a HUGE range of music! When I was being radiated I could listen to my iPod and the nurses would always laugh at me because I have "You Sexy Thing" and some of the latest songs back to back. I like my songs on a randomizer because it bothers me to listen to the same artist for a long time. My mom is always amazed at me because I can remember the lyrics to almost every song on my iPod and I have around 2400 songs. THIS is why I can't remember the important things. I just have a nack for remembering every unimportant thing that comes up. I like everything generally all the time. I like some country but I don't know if it really counts; Brad Paisley, Shania Twain, Taylor Swift. No rap for me thank you very much. Unless it's making fun of Rap...then it's ok. Parodies! I love Parodies! I think the artist I have the most is "Weird Al" Yankovic. The first CD I ever bought myself was the Jonas Brothers' very first album, "It's About Time," And I've been a JoBro fan girl ever since. Sorry....That was long and random...Now I feel like watching the movie "Bandslam" which is a super cute movie. Too bad I still have homework. >:( This was a fun post, thanks Lori!

PaulaShawn said...

CAN'T STAND 80's hair bands (and I'm not talking about the fuzzy scrunchies)! Classic rock and heavy metal come not close to being musical. And to borrow from Devree's brother, music is like candy - throw the wrappers away. Other than that, I can handle most other genres. I love music that softens my heart and helps me to see life, love, people, and relationships in the way my Heavenly Father sees them. There are some very inspiring things out there, and anything that helps me be better in any or all of my roles is a favorite.

I get frustrated when songs like, "Am I a man or a muppet?" get stuck in my head. How come the really beautiful stuff doesn't repeat itself in my mind without effort?

We probably play music too much in our family. Yesterday we were out on a great explore and playing a game in the car, but we would put the game on hold until fav songs were over. I guess music shouldn't get in the way of familial converstation.

I think you've found a treasure of a topic - we all could go on and on. It's like the song that never ends. It goes on and on my friends. People started singing it not knowing what it was. They continued singing it forever just because - it's the song that never ends. It goes on and on my friends...

See what I mean about annoying songs!

Oh, we just found Bourne Vivaldi by the Piano Guys. Fun!

Lori Folkman said...

Bakerfam- you better brush up on those lyrics because you will be singing--that is if you want pie. The musical genes skipped a generation. Luckily you are in that second generation. (Although that doesn't explain your parents. They are pretty talented.)

Anne:We shall do Killers at the reunion! Yay! Which song? You have good taste.

Devree: you are the perfect candidate for a game show. You'll be able to answer all those random questions. And I agree: Weird Al's lyrics are hysterical.

PaulaShawn: Oh Paula--do you remember Bruce Springsteen? Was that your first cassette you ever bought? Now that was some good 80's music! :) At least until A-ha came along. And Tears for Fears. And ... dang, I shouldn't have gotten started. I'm going to have to look up Bourne Vivaldi right now: I love the Piano Guys! And thanks for getting the song that never ends stuck in my head. I sing that about my laundry,as it never ends. Also, we were just singing the muppet or a man song this very evening! Woe, weird!

janice said...

I can't even comment because there is just too much to say about music! Love it, all kinds except country, rap, heavy metal, and whatever my 13 year old son likes. i agree with paulashawn; I like music that uplifts, inspires and makes me want to dance. (Not always at the same time!) I have to say having a daughter that listens non-stop to music that I actually like silence over music sometimes!

Caitlin said...

Hey, what's this? I come back and see that my name's being slandered! :D Haha. I'm glad I could catch one of my favorite topics. I love music, but it speaks to me more when I'm not listening to it constantly. I really love the alternative/indie scene. Foster the People, The Drums, MGMT, Death Cab, Two Door Cinema Club, Bon Iver... just to name a few. And you can't go wrong with Coldplay- they're the best! I wish I was musically gifted, but I think I'm supposed to sit back and appreciate it instead.

Lori Folkman said...

Janice- at least your 13yo is out of the Crazy Frog stage, right? That was the WORST! I thought I would rather be deaf when my kids were in that phase.

Caitlin!!!!!! Welcome back! I knew if we talked about you, you would be forced to comment! You have really good taste. Do you want to go with me to the Firefly Music Festival? I'll by the concert tickets, you buy the airfare, OK?

Lori Folkman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer Lovell said...

Music. Such a huge subject for me. I could never cover all of my opinions about music in just one page, I'll try to sum up:

My bottom line as to who moves me is if they are an amazing singer, then that's the best selling point for me. I'm talking vocal technique, pitch accuracy, and emotion and agility... Stevie Wonder embodies all of those things for me, and he is my favorite singer in the world. I LOVE his music, and his voice.

My favorite genres to listen to are Rhythm and Blues, Soul, Funk, Jazz, Sacred music (not necessarily choral music but I do like some, especially if I've performed it before), and I do like Country.

Mostly I just put music on when I'm cleaning the house. I do not sing around the house generally, but I really love to sing. I love to sing in church! Hymn time is among my favorite time at church. I'm not very good at singing pop music, and I can get kind of boring when I try...I do best singing sacred music that just requires you to stand there still, but people do tell me I smile well while I sing, so that's nice. I love singing Christmas music too.

Some of my other favorite singers are Whitney Houston, Kathrine McPhee, I have a bunch of Celine Dion albums (I love her French ones), and I love Brian McKnight, and others like him. I'm not a big fan of rock music, though I did like it when I was younger. Kind of funny how my taste has changed some over the years.

Lori Folkman said...

JazznJenna: I didn't know they had internet way out West! I'm so glad you commented, even while you are out-of-town, and I'm so glad I hadn't closed the window yet. You put all of us music-lovers to shame with your talent and knowledge. Jealous! I still cant' wait to see you perform on stage someday. You will be singing a duet with Hugh Jackman, right? :)