Tuesday, May 22, 2012

What to Expect When You're Not Expecting

Do you know what today is? What? You don't know? How could you forget? I'm so insulted!

It's my blogiversary! Yes, one year ago, BlogAway went live to a crowd of thousands of people eagerly awaiting a chance to read another blog. My first post was about time management, and unfortunately, I have not learned how to manage my time any better. But you know what? Writing this blog has not been a drain on my time, as I worried it would be. I worried that it would be a chore to write, but instead, it has become something I look forward to doing every week. That was unexpected!

I did not expect that we would have such a tight-knit community here at BlogAway, but it has been amazing! I have loved finding old friends, making new ones, and learning deep-dark secrets about people I've known my entire life. I am humbled that you guys take time to read my blog and participate in the conversation; I know how precious your time is. You guys are the best blog friends a gal could have. Thank you!

There are a lot of things about this past year that have been unexpected. I did not expect that I would jump genres and write a historical romance.

I didn't expect that I would change my writing strategy either, as I normally write a book scene by scene and then piece the scenes together like a puzzle. This time, I simply opened a document, entitled it "1" and then wrote the entire thing start to finish. I did not take a bunch of notes. I did not write an outline. I did not think about a scene for several days before I actually wrote it. I just sat down and let it flow. I just finished my first edit of "The Reign of Trees," and I half-expected it to be crap, but it wasn't! I actually like it! Hallelujah!

I've always wanted to try my hand at screenwriting, but I did not expect I would do it this year. I'm currently working on this:

It's a bit of a romantic comedy, a bit of a chaotic(funny?) family drama, with a little bit of a music, and a whole lot of MONTANA, filmed mockumentary style. I know I have a better chance of winning American Idol (I would sound a lot like this singing on TV) than I have seeing my name listed under "Written By" on the small screen, but since I'm certifiably crazy, I continue to work on it nonetheless. I actually laugh out-loud as I think of some of the scenes, further proof that I am insane.

And speaking of insane, last summer, the guys bought the Insanity videos and I thought they were nuts. Why would you want to do a work-out that would give you a heart attack and make you sweat like a 500 pound man sitting in a sauna?
But guess who has stuck with it for an entire year? Moi! I love Insanity so much I ditched the gym. Yes, it still kicks my butt every single time, but no heart attacks. Also, directly related to Insanity: I've come to crave Titan protein shakes. I never expected that either.

We've also added to our zoo this year: we got ten new chickens and one new dog. I don't know that I can say that something good will come from these unexpected additions though, especially since the new dog has taste-tested a few of the birds. 

How about you? What unexpected things have come into your life in the past year or two? Have you come to love the unexpected things?

8 comments:

Nicole Jessop said...

I never expected to be purchasing my own house before I was 25 (hopefully). And in just the last month or so, I've been pretty seriously working on going back to school to get my master's, which is something I never thought I'd care to go back to school and get. Luckily, these unexpected things have all been good!

PaulaShawn said...

I never expected that I would check in on a blog every week. And enjoy it like I do.

I never expected that I would get a road bike.

I never expected that I would no longer be the world's leading carbivore.

I never expected that life would be so busy that I would hardly see my sister who lives 4 miles away from me!

I never expected the day to arrive that would require my oldest to attend high school orientation night (it is that very day today!).

I never expected to be so envious of my brother (have you seen his new Jeep?). Or that I would really truly feel super sorry for him (Bishop).

I never expected that my house would be worth so little.

I never expected that I would share my Dr.'s exam story with anyone/everyone.

Anne said...

I never expected to watch my husband finish an Ironman and for me to ENCOURAGE him to do another one!

I never expected to love home improvement projects so much. Its so fun to get stuff done around the house!

I never expected I'd enjoy designing and creating new things and watching my little company grow. It's been fun!

Never expected to see my Grandparents on facebook :)

Devree said...

I never expected getting brain cancer and growing so much spiritually from it.

I never expected insurence to work out so my medical bills wouldn't drown my parents. (That actually happened todday! Yay!)

I never expected getting my very owwn laptop for Christmas! (one that's not borrowed.)

I never expected having senioritus SO bad! (I thought I'd be the one who was good until the end! and Then I got Senior-itus before I started my Junior year. *shakes head*)

I never thought I would be so interested in a blog of a person I've never met in person but I love every second I'm on here. :)

Oh! I looked at the video of Cameron Diaz; that's what the concert choir sounded like last night at our concert! Just kidding! But my mom said the advanced choir I was in was 10 times better. Also, no matter how traumatic, Once you love reading, nothing can dissuade you.

Jennifer Lovell said...

I never expected our landlord to turn out to be so crazy. And for her to decide to stop renting to us so soon. And for us to actually take her up on the opportunity to buy our home, and for my husband and I to actually be home owners in this lifetime. Wow! (OK, maybe in this lifetime I was hoping, but not so soon into our new job here).

I never expected to "settle down" in the East! Crazy! I still wonder if we'll end up moving back West someday, but not for many many years, hopefully. I'd love for my kids to be able to say they grew up here in PA.

I never expected to struggle so much to keep my stamping business alive, so much that it's made me consider throwing in the towel on a couple of occasions in the last year. (I've been doing it for almost 13 years and have always said I'm going to do this forever). That unexpected surprise is an unwelcome one, but hopefully it will be all in the past soon enough. I'm sensing a surge of business growth on the horizon...

I never expected to think of myself as such a wannabe writer. It's still developing in me...and I like it :). My friend Lori inspires me!

Lori Folkman said...

Nicole: your masters? Go girl go! That's awesome! And did you ever expect to be married to such a hilarious guy?

Paulashawn: I read your comment on my first ever blog post. You said that I know how much you love me because you commented on a blog. But I'm not feeling it so much anymore because you won't guest post on my blog. If you really loved me, you would do it. (I'm batting my eyes at you. Does that help?) I never expected that life would be so busy that I would hardly have time to see my sister who lives 1000 miles away. :)

Anne: you really want him to do it again? You guys are INSANE! :) It's actually super cool. How many people can say they've done that? Yes, that facebook thing shocked us all.

Devree: I'm so excited for your good news! What a blessing! And I'm so glad you love it here, as it wouldn't be as fun without you! You better not get too busy for BlogAway when you get to college. (Unlike someone whose name starts with a C and ends with and N.)

JazznJenna: Yay! Your misery turned into something good! Let me know what paint colors you go for. Thanks for the compliment and I can't wait until you have something I can read!

Sally said...

I didn't expect that Brigham would be decannulated.

I never expected to have our house paid off before turning 40.

I never expected to be worried about being able to do kindergarten homework next year!

I never expected to always have a clean house. Oh, wait, I don't.

I never expected to have a published author as my very own personal friend.

I never expected to turn into a girly-girl, but I am--a little.

I never expected to become acclimated to Phoenix summers. Today's 106 doesn't seem so bad.

I never expected that I'd be going to Hawaii with my family this summer, and that while there, we'd get to meet Olivia's birth mom's mom.

Lori Folkman said...

Sally: I did not expect that I would have to look up a word left in the comments. Decannulated? How awesome for you guys! I love medical miracles! (As does Devree!) And again with the Hawaii thing! I did not expect to be so jealous! :)