Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Missing Piece Meets a Winner

I really hate having such a bad memory, because every book you guys list, I think, "Oh yeah I forgot about that one. I loved that one too." It is good on the pocketbook though, since I can re-read the same book every few years and have it be brand new to me! I guess I should optimize my Goodreads account and keep track of books I read, but I can't remember my login name.

Devree: it is a wonder that you still love to read based on your scary experiences. Lesser people would have been traumatized for the rest of their lives.

Oh, can I tell you guys about my favorite book-reading experience? Back before Twilight was the big thing, I was reading it while the men were out hiking and this small tornadoish thing hit the valley (we live in Montana, not Kansas, so it's not typical here) and our power was knocked out. But I could not stop reading! So I used a battery-powered lantern and stayed up all night reading. I finished the book just as the sun was rising. It was my most favorite reading session ever. Not that you cared to know, but since I am so forgetful, maybe you can tell this story to me someday and it will make the memories flood back. (Yanno, like when I'm in the Alzheimer's ward.)

Bigskyboys:I forgot to mention Skippy Jon Jones! Love him! Who reminds you of him? No one at your house speaks with a Spanglish accent, so I don't understand the comparison. (I can't read those books without talking with an accent. It annoys the crud out of my kids.)

Alright, I've blabbed enough. Nicole did a great job hosting the blog this week, didn't she? Let's all give her a round of applause! 



Miss Nicole has so kindly donated his week's prize. Yipito Skipito! And here to describe the prize is none other than the Queen of Fiction herself:  Nicole!

In my college Children’s Literature class, I discovered a new favorite: The Missing Piece Meets the Big O by Shel Silverstein (another favorite author). I’d never given the book much thought until the teacher told us to look at it from a dating point of view to make it apply to us college kids. It opened a whole new perspective and I refused to sell it back to the bookstore. It applies to all ages, but that’s how I came to love this book.


So the winner gets a copy of this book, which I may or may not have ever read. Who knows? But I know I can't wait to read it and get some dating advice. :)

And the winner is comment # 6 Sally! Sallyito you have won a bookito. Yippito! Sally, do I have your permission to email Nicole your address?

Thanks a million to Nicole for sharing a bit of yourself with us this week and for saving me a trip to the store to shop for a prize! You are awesome. See all you well-read women back here next week!

3 comments:

Nicole Jessop said...

Yay Sally!

I just have to add this- Steve went to comment last night and the window had closed! I told him not to put it off. But he emailed me his blog post. Here it is :D

"I have never been a big reader… I know, I know, its heresy. I have just never been one to sit still in one spot for hours at a time and stare at a piece of paper, I would typically much rather be out doing something rather than read about someone else doing it.

Whoa now, before someone throws a book at me allow me to finish! My opinion has “evolved” since the reading of the Potter series. Holy sweet mother of all that is good and decent J.K. Rowling can tell a story! I love the amazing amount of detail and complexity she incorporates in the story! Any fella that has read the Potter books knows what I am talking about.

Now I am a much more enthusiastic book reader and already have plans for reading more books with my awesome wife. Great topic Nicole!

p.s. Seeing J.K. Rowling and Stephenie Meyer get into a cat fight is totally on my to do list. 10 bucks on Rowling!"

Lori Folkman said...

Nicole: Thank you for doing this!
Steve: I'm so glad you've seen the light! I think your next reading assignment should be Jane Austen. And that cat fight? If it was a war of words, Rowling would win. Hand to hand combat, Meyer.

Oh ... and thanks for sharing that link yesterday Nicole. That was a great article.

Sally said...

Hey, I just saw that I won! (We had family in town--the kind that makes me crazy--so I forgot to check back.) And guess what? I almost bought this book a few weeks ago! So glad I didn't. It's more fun to get it as a prize! Here's my email address: sdavisfordham(at)gmail(dot)com