Tuesday, May 15, 2012

To Read Or Not To Read; That Is Not The Question

Hello Blogawayamily. (That word combo doesn't quiet work, does it?) Today is your lucky day! Do you know why it's your lucky day? Because you don't have to listen to me yak! Yay! We are honored to have a guest post by our own faithful follower Nicole Jessop.  She's the gal who leaves the very first comment about 80% of the time. She gets a star for promptness, and one for loyalty, and one for wittiness, and one for .... K, you get the idea: I like this gal A LOT. She also happened to marry a super cool dude. So give her your undivided attention as she tells you about a topic that is near to all our hearts--books! Make sure you leave a comment since she has an awesome prize in store! Take it away Nicole!

Ever since I can remember, I have loved to read. I remember only being 5 or so and being so frustrated with my 3 year old brother that he had no desire to learn how to write his name, even though I had traced it out perfectly for him to copy, or to look at my very basic dictionary. My grandma use to always tease me as an elementary student for having to have something to read while I was eating breakfast (or any meal but my books were forbidden at dinner) because I was just like my grandpa and my dad. Even today, it doesn’t matter what is in front of me – a magazine I got in my mailbox at school, the news on my phone, just random bits of newspaper, or cereal boxes – I need something to read while I eat.



I think that’s what led to my decision to be a teacher along with loving to work with kids. I want to be able to help kids realize their passion for reading, to discover whole new worlds and to fall so in love with a character or a book that they can relate to the character and empathize with them. Steve always makes fun of me when we watch Harry Potter (or even as we read it) for crying every time loved characters die. Just the other day as we were reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, I began crying when a character died *no spoilers here*. He looked at me and said, “How many times have you read this book and seen this movie?” I responded that it didn’t make it any less sad no matter how many times we read it.


As we have made our way through the series, it’s been so fun to see how he has grown to like reading more. He’s never been one to sit down and read and when I was kid, if given the choice, that’s all I ever would have done. The other night he told me he was one of those kids that would read but then decided he would rather be outside in the real world. Being the ever-faithful Potterhead I responded, “Just because it’s happening in my head, doesn’t mean it isn’t real.” Now, let’s all say it together: “touché.”

One of my all-time favorite books as a kid was Purple, Green and Yellow by Robert Munsch. Here’s the book summary from Amazon: “Brigid is on the trail of the ultimate felt marker. At first, she's satisfied to be drawing wonderful pictures. But soon she must have the markers that wash off with water. Then she needs the markers that smell. But she's happiest when she gets the super-indelible-never-comes-off-till-you're-dead markers. She draws brighter-than-real lemons and roses and then goes too far: Brigid draws on herself. Nothing will remove the color, so Brigid reaches deep into the box of markers, finds the people-colored marker, and covers up all the other colors. She looks better than before, too good to be true.”

Hilarious. I don’t know why I haven’t bought it yet. Some other loved favorites were Encyclopedia Brown, Babysitter’s Club, Bailey School Kids, and Boys against Girls. Unfortunately, my Mom ended up giving away or selling most of my books, so I’m in the process of finding my most loved ones and collecting them all again. I’ve also discovered many new children’s books through my college years that have become favorites. You’re never too old for a children’s book.



Have you ever had a book that just touched you or that you read a hundred times and it never got old or stopped being funny? What was your favorite book as a child?

15 comments:

Nicole Jessop said...

I keep thinking of more favorite books! I just have too many. I'm excited to see everyone's answers!

Jennifer Lovell said...

The stories I remember enjoying the most when I was a kid were the Nancy Drew books. It was fun to introduce those to my daughters recently.

My favorite juvenile fiction books that I've ever read are the Fablehaven books, by Brandon Mull (I think they're all less than 10 years old, it's a 5-book series). I can't wait to read them all again. I read them all to my kids, and my son has read them all several times. If I weren't such a slow reader, I would have re-read them many more times by now...but there are so many other books I'm trying to get to first that re-reading has to wait for a little while longer.

Two of my other childhood favorite reads were James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl, and Lafcadio by Shel Silverstein, about a lion who became a sharp shooter and LOVED marshmallows. So funny! If you've never read that, you're missing out.

Thanks for the fun post, Nicole!

Livingstonslifeinmontana said...

I love books. My favorite growing up was Tikki Tikki Tembo. And I love to reread books, because I usually don't remember the storyline. I can always reread Anne of Green Gables, especially Annes house of Dreams.

Lori Folkman said...

I get to answer a question today! I'm so excited!

The first book I fell in love with was "Put Me in the Zoo." Remember the creature who can change the color of his spots? (What is he anyway?) I read that a hundred times as a kid and I love reading that to my kids now.

As a pre-teen, I loved Judy Blume and I checked the same books out over and over again. My favorite books as a teen were Jack Weyland books.

Most of the books I've read in the last few years are YA and I think that the teen books now are a hundred times better than they were when I was a teen! I love that kids can still get totally immersed in a good book even with 3D TV and Wii's competing for their time! Go YA!

The Edgertons said...

Love to read! A childhood fav for me was Ferdinand the Bull. My nana read that book to me all the time. The pages are worn thin, falling out of it's binding. It is now tucked away for safe keeping. The Beatrix Potter books are another set of books my nana would read to me. I look at those now and can still hear her voice reading them. Sigh...

Danny the Champion of the World by Roald Dahl is another all time fav. I collected all the Roald Dahl books. That was one collection I loved reading to my kiddos. Nancy Drew, Beverly Cleary, Judy Blume, Little House series, I could go on forever.

I really enjoyed reading the Spiderwick series with my kiddos. As an adult, I lean toward historical fiction. However I agree with Lori, there are some amazing YA books out there. Books rock!

Sally said...

Many of my family's sayings are quotes from books my mom read to us when we were kids. Here are a few: The Berenstain Bears B Book, Marvin K. Mooney, Dr. Suess' A to Z, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.

Other favorites through the years: The Bobbsey Twins, Little House on the Prairie, The Chronicles of Narnia, Noel Streatfeild's Shoe books, books by Susan Cooper, Richard Peck, Lucy Maud Montgomery, Louisa May Alcott, Jane Austen.

Some of my favorite summer memories are of my mom reading books to us by the chapter: Never Steal a Magic Cat, The Dollhouse Caper, The Incredible Shrinking House, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn...

I could go on and on and on and on about books I love, but I'll stop here.

Anne said...

I don't remember when I learned to love reading but I'm guessing it was 10-12ish because the books I remember LOVING and reading again and again were Nacy Drew, Box Car Children and anything by Laruin Mcdaniel,or Jack Weyland and Anne of Green Gables.

Now I really enjoy pretty much anything. I like mixing it up and finding something new to read. If you haven't read The Help. READ IT! It's great!

Lori Folkman said...

Every comment I read makes me go "Oooh! I love that book too!" And guess what? Today there was an article that says scientist have found that reading fiction is good for you! Yay! (I think scientists would say writing fiction is not good for you though!)

The Ables Family said...

I have an insatiable appetite for reading. I prefer mysteries, and espionage. When I was young, I read "Cheaper By The Dozen" and "Bells on Their Toes". I love the movies by the same names. When my boys were little, their favorite book was “Ralph and the Motorcycle”. I read it at least a million times. Thank goodness for Thrift stores with cheap books.

Devree said...

I loved reading always but more so when I moved to Dayton in the 4th grade because in Fernley I only remember being a my best friend's house down the street. I remember trying to listen to The Lord of the Rings on CD and when Golem talked the speaker used a really creepy voice. I was listening in bed as I was going to sleep and I was halfway dreaming and Golem started speaking. It freaked me out so bad! Also, I was reading Harry Potter 4 (an enormous book for a fifth grader). I was lying in bed reading it, with the book propped on my chest. I should have gone to bed and hour before so I dozed off and WHAM! t fell on my face. THAT woke me up.
When I was little there was a small book called "Jake Baked the Cake." It shows all these preparations for a wedding then every few pages it would show Jake making the cake. I liked the artwork. I also liked "The Monster at the End of the Book." When my youngest brother was a toddler He got this book called "Sam the Snowman" for Christmas and he made me read it to him ALL THE TIME because I would doo little sound effects and voices.I still have the whole thing memorized.
My books that I love are "Princess Bride", "The Midnighters," "The Christmas Box," and "It's a Mall World After All." The Mall World one sounds cheesy but It still makes me laugh with all it's shenanigans. I love books so much!

Team C said...

Books,books, books. I love books. I think one of my favorites is definitely Harry Potter. That sounds so dumb, but those and Jane Austin books. There is such comfort in a good book. I only read fiction, or Historical fiction. In fact Juvenile fiction is the best, because it is usually clean. It's great to live someone else's life for a little while.

Jennifer Lovell said...

Lori, is there a link you could share about the article about reading fiction? It sounds interesting, I'd like to read it.

Nicole Jessop said...

This is fun! I'm learning about a lot of books I haven't read!

Team C- I totally agree about getting immersed in the book and living in someone else's life or world. It's such a great escape!

JazznJenna- I think this is the article. I saw it yesterday too.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=20171092&nid=1011&title=fiction-is-good-for-us-even-science-says-so

PaulaShawn said...

I liked Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing, Super Fudge, etc. I also loved the Box Car Children and Ralph the Mouse and S.E. Hinton books. I kind of forgot how to read in high school and got connected with it again by graduating with an English degree. I had an insane final semester @ BYU with 18 English Credits (all Lit. classes with only 1 writing class) and had to read TONS! It was while I was pregnant, and wouldn't you know it - that kid read well over 12,000 pages in 2011!

Now I love to read, but my genre would be considered very dry and boring to most others. I love non-fiction! This year I decided to take on the Old Testament as an experience in literature, but I didn't get too far into it before having to soak up every bit of its cultural/spiritual element as well. It's become more of a study now than a read. And I AM LOVING IT!!!!

But Jane Austen does own a very special mass of my heart, too.

bigskyboys said...

Anne of Green Gables was my very favorite growing up. My favorite children books right now are Skippy Jon Jones. Maybe because someone in my life reminds me of Skippito!