Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A Pretty Heavy Topic

Warning: Heavy Blog Post Ahead. (Hold on to those laptops; I will not be held responsible for them falling to the floor.)

Well hellllooo. (You need to read this part using a deep, smexy voice like Moto Moto from Madagascar 2.) Whatcha doing just sittin' there lookin' all pretty? 'Cause girl, you fine.


Yes, I'm totally trying to pick you up. And not in the corny pick-up-line way. As in I'm trying to pick you up. I want you to feel good about who you are, because really, truly, honestly, you are beautiful. Each and every one of you.

Did you know millions of women in America suffer from low self-esteem? Did you know our teenage girls are being raised to think that unless they look like the next top model, that they are practically worthless? Everywhere we look, we are being sold some type of beauty product, from mascara (don't you love those long-lash ads where the writing at the bottom says, "Model's eyelashes have been enhanced.") to creams that claim you will look younger after just one week, to every kind of weight-loss solution available, to Pippa Butt Lifts. Any time we open a magazine, watch TV, turn on the Internet or even drive in a car, we are subconsciously being told "You are not good enough. You need this product to look better." Why does the media want us to beat ourselves up for not looking as pretty as their ideal? Because the beauty product and weight-loss industry brings in somewhere around 100 BILLION a year. They want us to feel crappy about ourselves because then we will spend more money. (I bet the ice-cream industry is in on this as well. Don't we all dive into a pint of ice cream when we feel down? It's a conspiracy! And my dad is a part of the dairy industry, so he's in on it as well! Gasp! JK)

So why am I bringing up such a heavy topic this week? Because I'm just like every other gal and sometimes I feel like I'm not as pretty as that gal on the latest action flick/cover of Cosmowhatever/and the fifty-year-old-model who looks younger than me. Recently I picked up a book on the clearance rack that I thought would help me cover my flaws and look perfect (like Glamour Shots!) and guess what I was reminded of? This simple statement: How we think affects how we look.

If you ever run across this book, snatch it up. It's wonderful!

Before Carmindy's book gives you any beauty tips, the first few chapters help you think positively about your appearance. You need to recognize that you are UNIQUE. Your features were given to you by your ancestors, who lived great lives and did great amazing things. How would they feel if they knew you hated the very same nose they wore on their face when they crossed the plains? You need to stop comparing yourself to others--especially celebrities, who can spend an entire average-person's yearly salary to look the way they do. You need to stop comparing yourself to digitally enhanced images. You've all seen the before and after Photoshopped pictures, right? When you see an ad simulating a perfect person, remind yourself that it is not real! This is a mind-over-matter thing ladies! You need to constantly be sending yourself positive thoughts if you want to combat what media is telling you. (Substitute an "s" for the "t" in the word telling!)

Now that you are thinking positively, Carmindy tells you you need to find your best feature. Close your eyes and visualize your face. Focus on the one thing you've always loved about your face. Now go to the mirror and take in how wonderful that attribute is. (Really, you have to do this. I'm watching you on webcam.) Now glance away and look back again. What is the second feature you love? You need to remind yourself of your focus features every time you look in the mirror. Say it with me, "I have a great _____." (Yes, you will have to say this in your comments. This might be even more painful than claiming your talents!) Own your focus feature and give it the praise it deserves!

Now for some Lori beauty advice: compliment other people. Tell them that color looks great on them. Compliment a new hair color (Berkley, send your co-worker to my blog!) Compliments go a long way and no one can ever get enough! Spread some love! You'll feel better inside for being kind, and you'll lift others.



Next word of advice: pamper yourself from time to time. I know when I feel run-down, I look run-down. Do something nice for yourself. Buy a new shirt. Paint your nails a funky new color. Do not get stuck in a boring-mom routine, or you will feel/look like a boring mom. And do not feel guilty about doing something nice for yourself. You are so worth it!

Last word of advice: smile more and frown less, because you're never fully dressed without a smile. 

Now it's your turn. So #1, you have to tell us your focus feature. #2 You have to compliment someone today (but you don't have to tell us about it.) #3 Tell us how you pamper yourself.  And #4 give us your best beauty tip. 

Here's my list:
1. I have nice lips
2. Done
3. I pamper myself by working out. Seriously. I feel so much prettier when I do. (Well, not when I'm actually working out. Yanno, after, when I'm all showered and fresh.)
4. Put a small amount of sugar in your daily cleanser a few times a week to exfoliate. It's cheap and it makes your skin glow! (That's a Carmindy tip!) 

Let's see what makes each of you beauties shine! (And Steven, we totally want you to comment today. If you don't, I might release a very feminine picture of you wearing a ladies scarf.)

15 comments:

Nicole Jessop said...

1- I have pretty eyes
2- Not done yet, but I will
3- I pamper myself by coloring my hair or giving myself a pedicure
4- Put a lighter colored powder or eye shadow under your eyes and on the outside corner to make you look less tired (but NOT glitter!)

I reminded Steve again last night that he owes you a blog post and to comment! What a slacker!

Jennifer Lovell said...

1- I like the shape of my face.

2- Done! I had a stamp camp at my house this morning, so it was the perfect chance to tell my girlfriend how pretty I thought she was the first time I met her.

3- I pamper myself by working out almost daily, too. And, by taking naps.

4- I have naturally curly and very frizzy hair. My de-frizz solution is uber-inexpensive: buy the cheapest gel that they sell, and squeeze about 3 tablespoons into an empty spray bottle. Mix it 1 part gel, 5-6 parts water (give or take). Shake it up until it's all mixed (I put 4 glass gems in the bottom of my bottle to help mix it around), and voila--SPRAY GEL. Spray it on your hair when you're fresh out of the shower, and brush it through your hair. Then let your hair air-dry or blow dry as you prefer. If you find your hair is too crunchy, dilute your gel a little more. If you find it had no effect, add a little more gel to your bottle. Works for me! I've been doing it this way for years : ).

I love your thought to substitute an "s" for the "t" when trying to combat what the media is telling us! I'm going to write that on a mirror in my house : )!

Anne said...

1) I have nice eyes
2) done
3) I love pedicures! Those are my favorite self pamper but I only do those about twice a year and I would have to say reading. I really enjoy reading but I don't have a ton of time to sit and read (who does?? ) So enjoying a good book is probably right up there with pedicures!
4) NEVER go to bed with wethair!!Ok, here is a real one: use coconut oil in the shower for extra soft, smooth, yummy smelling skin :)

The blog looks cute Lori :)

Lori Folkman said...

Nicole: great eye make-up tip. I never have tired eyes. Ever. :) Smack slacker Steve upside the head for me, ok?

JazznJenna: Do you have any idea how much money I have spent trying to de-frizz my hair? Where have you been all my life? I'm giving that a shot. (I have naturally crazy hair: half-way between wavy and curly.) And you gave me the best compliment ever! Something I wrote is getting put up on your mirror? Wow. You have made my entire week. Your work is done!

Anne: Hi!!!! I have missed you! You do have amazing eyes. Tell me more about the coconut oil. Do you use a loofah or do you just lather it on? I love the smell of coconut, especially when it's a coconut cake. Mmm.

Devree said...

1: I have a really pretty....Left eye! Just kidding my eyes looe wonderful and even when I'm not trying to show emotion. Having half your face paralyzed makes one super critical of their features. My eye color is quite pretty though.
2: I believe I have today...I don't know because we didn't have school and went on a hike with some families. (Paula told me the bra story! :)(they don't have a smirk or music key on my keyboard)) I'm pretty positive I did...
3: I love getting a chance to do my nails! A few weeks ago, for P-night for Young Women's, we did pedicures so that was fun and relaxing, sharing nail polish and talking with my girls.
4:I feel really pretty when I have brushed my teeth, put on deoderant, and am wearing a pretty shirt. Mine are different from other people's beauty tips because when I get ready in the morning it's different from everyone else. So my best suggestion is just being clean can do miracles for one's feeling of beauty. I don't even put on make-up because that makes me feel not as natural and clean(also because the eye doctor forbid me because It could further damage my eye).
Hahaha, I get all these tips for taking care of hair when I don't have any now! We seriously had a beauty and health care activity and I was like, "I wish I had known all this earlier!"

Team C said...

Wow.
1. My lips
2. done
3. I exercise too, but that is not pampering to me, reading a good book is pampering especially while eating Walgreens gummy bears (the green ones are apple) Yum, which totally negates my exercising :)
4. shower oil. Neutrogena smells so good, and put it on after you shower. Especially after you exfoliate your legs with a scrubby face cleanser ( the kind that feels like sand)Muy softness, and smelliness!

Lori Folkman said...

Devree: Thanks for making me smile (like always.) You have the face of a cancer survivor (brain cancer, no less.) Your face is remarkable. Inspiring. Beautiful. I hope you tell yourself that every time you look in the mirror! And think of all the time you save on your hair and make-up routine! Did you get me in trouble with Paula today? She will probably never speak to me again, but I hope you had lots of laughs over the bra story. :)

Team C: I'm going to run my hands down your legs next time you come to visit to see if they really are soft. Don't know if I will smell them though. I hope the next time you win a prize from my blog, it is gummy bears. (I will have to stash some in my prize drawer.)

The Ables Family said...

Aaahem, Here goes
1. I have pretty eyes
2. Done
3. I LOVE pedicures and the massage machines!!!!
4. I like trying different shades of eye shadow each week. I like lighter shades with dark at the ends of my eyelid. I also love body sprays for the good smell after a shower. I really love tanning lotion on my legs, because I dislike wearing hose.

Livingstonslifeinmontana said...

1. I can't seem to focus on anything besides all my freckles.

2. Done

3. I read your blog

4. Don't plcuk your eyebrows in the dark.

Livingstonslifeinmontana said...

oops...i meant pluck

bigskyboys said...

Hey Livingstonslifeinmt- I've never even noticed your freckles, what???? You have a beautiful smile, so make that your focus feature!

1.Normally I'd say hair, but I really don't like it right now. These hormones better straighten themselves out soon or I'll be bald. So I'll say eyes.
2.Done
3.A walk alone (no offensive to those I took a walk with today!) a soda and a tub. In that order.
4.Wear a hat. Not sure that's a beauty tip, but it's all I've got.

WG said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anne said...

The coconut oil is in a solid form but in the hot shower it melts. At the end of my shower I just dump a little in my hands and rub it all over my legs, arms, hands, feet and neck. (not face) You will want to kind of rinse off so you aren't so oily. And voila! You step out of the shower already moisturized and feeling nice and smooth and you smell devine

steven said...

1.) I am going to have to go with my appetite. That’s right, the thing that drives me to eat! And yes Lori this DOES have to do with my appearance because let’s face it, food= fat and fat is becoming a most prominent part of my appearance. Sure being healthy and fit is always nice, but put a steak in front of me then ask me how much I care… 
2.) Done
3.) My idea of being pampered is sitting in a quiet room playing my guitar. It is therapy to me. No matter what is on my mind, stress, frustration, excitement, it all melts away when I play and I can just sit back and relax.
4.) Try treating yourself to some chocolate lava cake from cold stone with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It tastes a lot like yum and makes happiness pretty much impossible to evade and happiness is the corner stone for looking good.

p.s. Lori this is BLACKMAIL!

Lori Folkman said...

Ables:I recently started using sunless tanning lotions too, which especially helpful here in MT since we don't get tans until August. I love that you try different eye colors--you are a wild woman! :)

Livingstons: #1. Fail! Try again! (I say the same thing as bigskyboys. It's your smile.)#3. Nice try Ms. Brown-noser, but you can do much better than my blog for pampering! #4. You say this from experience? I must know more!

bigskyboys:#3. I am SO offended! I am updating last week's post and adding your insult to the list. But, same time, same place next week? #4. I have yet to find a hat that looks good on me, so that is no help at all! Good thing I wasn't invited to the royal wedding last year or I would have been the only one hatless!

Anne: Thank you! My birthday is the summer, just in case you want to get me some. ;)

Steven: You have the world's best smile: have you been eating so much that you can no longer see it??? Don't think so. I didn't know you play guitar! You are now officially scheduled to play at the family talent show. And it wasn't blackmail, it was encouragement.