Tuesday, October 23, 2012

I Love To Hate You

Since we had so much fun talking about the creepy, gory, frightening and strange last week, let's do it again! But this time we won't talk about food: we'll talk about people! But not real people. Let's talk about characters. More specifically, let's talk about BAD GUYS.

(See, the blog title wasn't me saying something rude to my loyal readers. Way to get offended over nothing! If the blog post was going to be about my feelings towards you guys, it would say this: LOVE. And that is all.)

Do you remember back in the day when bad guys wore black and good guys wore white? Well no more! Not only can good guys go bad, bad buys can turn good, like this guy:


Gru wins my prize for the best villain who embraces the light (bright?) side. How can you not love Gru, even when he was mean?

Bad guys can also remain bad guys, but still be likeable. Like these guys:


My memory is a little faulty on this one, but I don't think they ever repent of their crimes, but still, you like, right?

But then there are bad guys who you just HATE, so much so that you have to respect them for provoking that kind of animosity even though they haven't done anything to you personally. This is the type of character who truly does not have a heart. The perfect example is this guy:


Fernand Mondego from The Count of Monte Cristo. I hate the guy and I feel no remorse for saying so. (Mostly because he's not real.)

There are villains who you actually enjoy because they are just so dang zany that you can't help but admire the level of their insanity. (Or is that just me, the crazy author lady, who admires insane people?) My favorite examples of bat guano crazy villains are the Joker, as played by Heath Ledger, the Grinch, as played by Jim Carrey, Cruella de Vil, as played by Glenn Close, and Bellatrix Lestrange as played by Helena Bonham Carter.


Honestly, crazy villains are always the most fun to watch, just because they are so unpredictable. Don't you have to wonder why the protagonist in movies/books with crazy villains don't just inject the villain with a dose of Clozaril? (Yes, I had to look that up. You don't need to be so worried that I automatically know what kind of medicine to give to schizophrenics. Jeez.)

Then there are creepy villains. I'll admit that I don't watch horror movies/read scary books, so you might not find that these guys make your skin crawl, but it's the best I can do. Voldemort made my skin crawl a time or two. (But obviously not enough to keep me from saying his name! Ha!) I remember watching the original Psycho and being rather creeped out by Norman Bates. I haven't showered since. (I actually think that would be an interesting story to write about--someone who has ablutophobia. Yes, I looked that up too. I'm scared of that word. It's not normal.) Creepiest villian:



Gollum. The dude's got some serious problems, likely including ablutophobia.

Do you know who most people think the best movie villain of all time is? This guy:


But you know what? He doesn't do it for me. I understand how the disfigurement works into the story and the fact that his identity is obscured allows for a later revelation (don't worry all you people that haven't seen Star Wars, I won't spoil it!), but when you can't see the villains expressions--and in particular, their eyes--they lose that connection with reality and therefore lose their credibility. I really wish George Lucas would have consulted with me on this before he went ahead and made trillions off this un-scary fella.

Which leads me to the final (and my favorite) type of villain: the sympathetic villain. This guy (or girl! Gosh I'm a chauvinist.) might have started out good, or at least we are shown through flashbacks a time when this person was nice and not naughty. And because this person was once good, we all have hope that they can be good again. Even while they are destroying the earth and causing calamities, the reader/viewer is still secretly hoping that the villain will fall to the ground and cry, "I'm sorry! So sorry! That was bad! I'll never do it again!" Do they repent and change their ways? Sometimes, but not always. I like this type of villain best because they are the most realistic. We never give up on people who have wronged us, do we? We always have hope that someday they will grovel at our feet and beg for forgiveness. (Or at the very least, tell us how right we were and how misguided they were.) The Grinch fits under this category as well, since we all know what causes his heart to shrink, but my very, very favorite villain is: 



Loki. I don't even hate him. Just love him. (His character, that is.) He fascinates me. You can see his pain and feel his insecurities. He is powerful and intimidating, but he is oh-so flawed. And that is what makes a perfect villain. I might also relate to him since I am the younger sibling. (Zing, Paulashawn--or should I call you Thor?) Actually though, having two boys just a year apart really brings the Thor-Loki relationship home. I live with that kind of jealousy/struggle for dominance. That relationship was masterfully captured in the Marvel movies, and hopefully the brawls that Thor and Loki got into will never be reenacted in my house. :)  And another Loki connection: look at his name. Now look at my name. Now back to me. What do you see? We're practically name twins! (Now that is creepy!)

So tell me: what villains do you love to hate?

And, it's the last week of the month, so come back Thursday for the monthly winner. Do you think the prize should be a Loki action figure? I do, and I want to win. 

And and, since it's Halloween the middle of next week and we'll all be too busy stealing chocolate from the kids handing out candy to the kids, no post next week. But! I'm going to be working on redesigning the blog and my stagnant website, so come for a visit towards the end of the weekish and see what's changed! 

OK, tell me who is the best/baddest/craziest/creepiest/most sympathetic/ anyothertypeofvillainImayhavenotmentioned. GO!

15 comments:

Nicole Jessop said...

If the prize is a Loki action figure, that would be the coolest prize ever! I was pretty excited at all of the villains listed because they're all quite awesome, but nothing compared to when I saw that you'd listed Loki. He's my favorite bad guy, so favorite, that I really want to change my dog's name to Loki. It's quite perfect really, because Loki's the God of Mischief and all but I think my dog could give him a run for his money.

Anyway, I love villains that the actor did such an amazing job of showing how they feel that way or really making you hate them. Like Count Mondego. Hate that guy. But Loki or even Bane, not so much. I actually like Bane. He's a pretty bad dude, but he has good in him somewhere or he wouldn't have become so disfigured doing that noble thing he did (I won't spoil it, don't worry!) You know who is a great villain? Umbridge. In the books and the movie. Even more in the books though- you really just hate her more than Voldemort by the end.

Oh, Captain Jack Sparrow. He's a villain, because he's a pirate, but he's also a good man and I don't know a single person that doesn't love him.

Jennifer Lovell said...

I know whom I hate the most: Lionel Luthor from Smallville. I hate him, and I even hate that I hate him. Even Lex Luthor isn't as detestable as his dad. The weird thing is, even when he changes his ways, I still resist liking him. Oh, and even though probably no one else on this list has ever watched all ten seasons of Smallville three times through like I have, I want to also say I hate the Toyman, Winslow. He's detestable. As for other superhero shows, I'd like to add that the Green Goblin is pretty awful (even when he's not in goblin form), and boooo on all of the villains in Gotham City. Grrr...I'm getting mad at them just thinking about it.

I also really dislike Ursula, from the Little Mermaid, and the evil queens from Snow White and Sleeping Beauty. Mean ladies! (I want to sing that song to them, "All you'll ever be is mean...").

Have you seen that new show "Once Upon a Time?" I love that show. It has some really mean villains, too. You should check it out!

Happy Halloween!

Jennifer Lovell said...

And I'm with Nicole--Umbridge is waaay up there on the list of villains we love to hate the most!

Anne said...

oooo Good villains Lori!! I agree you need to see their face and their eyes to fully get a villain.

I love Gru. He's great. I also think Mother Gothel is a great villain too!

Yes! JazznJenna I have to agree with you! The villains on Once Upon A Time are some of my new favorite to! Rumpelstiltskin is one creepy yet kind of like-able dude!

PaulaShawn said...

Ok, the whole post beyond the last pic of the guy (Loki was it?) didn't ring any bells with me. I don't know who or what y'all are talking about.

Right now the worst villain in my mind is the woman who I just spent a torturous hour with in her little torture chamber. I just got back from a new dentist - the hygienist seemed so nice when we first met, but I'm sure she could sense my loathing by the time she was done. That's the worst kind of villain - someone who seems nice but let's their jealousy come out & attack quietly when there is nothing you can do about it (I'm sure she was jealous of my non-filled teeth and good gums that she spoke highly of before she began her work. Maybe even that I don't work, "oooh, you're a lucky lady."). I may have even heard a low, guttural laugh when she saw a tear leave my eye and run down my cheek.

I love Gollum! I feel so bad for him. He's cute and pathetic. Poor guy, he was so deceived by something that made him feel so good.

I worry that I am too much like the villain in Tangled.

Right now Jack Frost seems to me to be the ultimate worst villain. He stole my fun away and left me huddled in a small heap trying to have the courage to move around freely and get stuff done. He's pervasive and harsh and shocking and cruel. I hate him!!!!!!

Lori Folkman said...

Nicole: Good point with Bane! He did have a soft spot, didn't he? Oh, and Jack Sparrow! I feel so bad for overlooking him. Do you think he'll forgive me? Umbridge goes in the heartless category. Or maybe she should go in the uterusless category, because she is mean to kids. (Try saying uterusless 3 times fast!)

JazznJenna: I must admit, I've only seen one partial episode of Smallville. I must repent. And yes for Green Goblin! He made me sad. Once Upon A Time is now on my too-be-watched list. What series should I do first: that or Smallville?

Anne: That Mother Gothel was one nasty bee worker. Or maybe she once had a beehive hairdo. I can't remember, but she had something to do with a b word. Oh I'm awful. Awful as Gothel. (Try saying Rumpelstiltskin 3 times fast.)

Thor: there's a hidden message in your comment, isn't there? I bet you laughed manically when you typed that. And your villain isn't Jack Frost--it's Jack Nip! I'm looking at snow Pollywog! I'm not going to feel bad for you when you are probably 20 degrees warmer than me! (BTW, you aren't my Thor. You're my Frodo.)

Lori Folkman said...

To-be-watched. Ugh. My brain is broken.

Janice said...

Disney villians are always so mean! I never get over how terrible Cinderella's step mother and sisters are to her!

I'd have to say the phantom from Phantom of the Opera, is a villain that I have a hard time hating. Especially after knowing how he came to be the phantom. The movie version does make him someone that you care more about. Did anyone else besides me cry for him?

If I have a Thor and Loki in my family, who am I?

Sally said...

I detest Count What's-his-face from the Series of Unfortunate Events books. And Shift the Ape from The Last Battle (C.S. Lewis). And Q from Star Trek (maybe not exactly a villain, but he's damn irritating).

Jennifer Lovell said...

I would say you would be able to get into Once Upon a Time much more quickly than Smallville. And there's only one and a half seasons to watch before you've seen them all, so that's a lot easier than the ten seasons of Smallville, so definitely go for Once. Trust me, I think you'll love it. But when you're ready for some real yummy Superman-ish eye candy, Smallville will always be there for you ; ).

Devree said...

So when I comes to villains, I’m a hater. If we can argue that they’e not a villain by the end of the movie/tv show/ book, they’re not a villain to me. Most of the time I’m like “I wanna slap that person!” *back-hands other hand* or say something like “They need a SERIOUS BUTT-KICKING!” Some of my favorite movies with dreadful are Count of Monte Cristo (Fernand), Ever After (Baroness, step mom), A Cinderella Story (Fiona), and Les Mis (Javert) to name a few. I think the worse kind of villains are those who purposely destroy happiness. Examples from each movie respectively; Fernand provides the information that gets Edmund arrested so he can take his lady, “How can someone love a pebble in their shoe?”, throws out Sam’s acceptance letter because “this just won’t do.”, hunts down Jean ValJean even when he’s not causing any harm. Worst villains! Well, I gotta do work now. Hasta manana!

Lori Folkman said...

Janice: Yes, poor Phantom. Besides, how could you hate anyone who can sing like that? Sorry to give you an identity crisis. You would be Nerthus, the Norse goddess of peace. She is also the goddess of fertility, so that should be fun. Or ... since you have buns of steel, you could just be Agent Romanoff.

Sally: watch your mouth, there is no swearing on this blog! Only innuendos of swearing! JK. That made me laugh. Sometimes that is the best descriptive word, and fish say it all the time. I haven't read Last Battle: thanks for making me feel inferior. :)

JazznJenna: OK, I'm on it! It will pass the time until I can watch Downton Abbey.

Devree: wouldn't that feel good to backhand a villain? Even if it's just with leather gloves. That's something I've got to try someday. Glad you mentioned Ever After. That gross bald guy who takes her at the end--ew, I hate him! He was awful. The Baroness totally deserved her fate--loved that ending! Hasta luego!

Sally said...

My apologies for using potty mouth language.

bigskyboys said...

I agree with Janice, disney villians are horrible, nasty things and these are kids movies! What about good old Jack Nicholas. He's played some very unlikeable folks.

Lori Folkman said...

Sally: I hope you washed your mouth out with soap! But what about me? I thought a bad word and then made others think a bad word. What should I do to clean my brain out? I'm open to any suggestions/punishment.

bigskyboys: Disney wants kids to have nightmares because they also invented California King mattresses and they know parents will get tired of kids climbing into bed with them at night and then go out and buy a bigger mattress and Disney gets a portion of the profits of every king mattress sold. Really. It's true. Look it up.
No not really. But this is true: Jack Nicholas IS a villain, he doesn't just play one on TV.