Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Just Listed!

Just when I thought that every minute of footage ever recorded by a camcorder was on the Internet and I plan a blog post accordingly, I find that no, the internet only has stupid videos that no one wants to wants to waste their time watching, like this one:

 

Wow, that was AMAZING!
 
There is a four minute video of a safety cone, but the HGTV commercials I wanted to use are nowhere. It's like they were abducted by aliens and now some green guys from Mars are watching them instead of you. Sigh. I will just have to describe them to you; but hey! I'm a writer so that shouldn't be so hard, should it?


 So my favorite TV show is HGTV's House Hunters and House Hunters International. Some may say that watching strangers shop for a house is just about as boring as watching a safety cone, but I love houses! I love architecture, the decor, the color schemes, the locations. There is something interesting about every city across the world: even Butte, MT! I especially love House Hunters International, as it might be the only way I ever get to see the rest of the world. (Except for when Anne takes me on a Rhine River cruise.)

Anywho, House Hunters runs a series of commercials where the actors describe themselves as if they are a house on the market. For example, a bearded, burly man in flannel talks about himself as if he's a rustic log cabin in the woods. My favorite is a mom in a disastrously messy house and she says something along the lines of, "but on the inside, I'm still that same immaculate 4 bedroom colonial," and then she gets bonked in the head with a soccer ball.

Have you ever thought that houses are a reflection of who we are? Of course, if you are renting a cinder block apartment, that might not be the case, but when you buy a house, you search for something that is "you." This is especially true for any lucky soul who gets to build their dream home.

But for the rest of us living in the real world, sometimes our homes (or ourselves) are not quite as dreamy and perfect as we would like. But we have a lot of good to work with. So here is your challenge. You might need to think about it for a minute or two. Write a sales description as if YOU were a house that was just listed on the market. You need to tell us what style house you are, what your best features are, and any inadequacies the house may have. But! You want the house to sell, so you need to sugarcoat! Be nice to your house! So remember: you are describing YOU, not the place where you currently live. You are answering this question: if you were a house, what would you be like?


Here is my sales description:

Charming Craftsman Bungalow
Solid foundation, quality construction
Warm and inviting
Many creative, quirky nooks and crannies.
Showing some cosmetic signs of aging, but structurally sound
Bats/cobwebs abundant in the attic
Has nice curb appeal, but the front porch is sagging slightly
Cleans up well, but you must call before viewing!

OK, your turn. Sell me your house! 


21 comments:

Nicole Jessop said...

Homey cottage, secluded in the mountains
Dog friendly environment
relatively new construction
Very cleanly kept
Perfect for a night in and being comfortable

This one was really hard to think of things! I should try and get Steve to do this one, but he's still busy working on my kitchen at nights.... I'm a slave driver. Hmm... how do I work in that quality?

Livingstonslifeinmontana said...

Perfect Family Home
In good condition but needs some restoration
Original Siding needs repainting and Elongated Brown Trim needs color restitution
The attic has been gutted which results in ample storage space
Windows that overlook Flathead Lake
Large Laundry Room and Extra Large Back Porch

Devree said...

Cozy Colonial with a circular library/what have you.
Wonderfully smooth walls. (I can't think of the right term)
Many windows
Multistory with wrap-around porch.
Some appliances not included.

I know what I wanted to say but not how to say it. I find it humorous. :)

Anne said...

Warm and cozy suburban home
Homey and family friendly
warm and stylish but plenty of room for improvements


....you are all far more creative than I am!! I love your "front porch is sagging slightly " description. That should be added in to mine as well :)

Anne said...

Ps: how about this : whoever makes their millions first takes the other on the cruise.

Caitlin said...

What, I can’t use my cinder block apartment? I think it’s actually a good representation of me!

Student Housing Apartment Complex
Fun atmosphere (once you get adjusted)
Blank walls providing a canvas of possibilities
Low maintenance
Excellent choice for a BYU student (especially RMs!)

I was trying to incorporate our original painting of a donkey that we have decorating our wall, but I’m not sure if I want to try relating that to my personality.

Lori Folkman said...

Nicole: I'm in love with your house already. May I come visit? Yes, what would Steve's house be like? I'm picturing something Dr. Seussish.

LivingstonslifeinMT: Ha ha, you gave me the giggles. Color restitution: you clever girl, you!

Devree: This is so fun! Yours fits you perfectly! But you do have all the essential appliances, like central heating and a convection oven. (You are one warm home!)

Anne: I disagree on the "plenty of room for improvements" part. You are a turn-key home. And agreed, the first one to a million buys the cruise. Ready, set go!

Caitlin: you get four gold stars! Way to think outside of the cinder block! I hope you are taking some creative writing classes so you don't end up like me. I can't wait to see what you do with that blank canvas. What's with the donkey? And better question: who painted it?

Jennifer Lovell said...

I am a...no, I mean "This is an inviting home which draws you in from the outside, and once you enter, you may never want to leave..."

Oh, Lori, this is hard. I am a performer, but I don't think I'm good at marketing myself!

"This home is just the right size. Not too big, not too small. A little rough on the exterior, but soft and cozy on the inside."

"There are rooms for all different occasions and purposes, even a room for being silly! The best room in the house is the relaxation room, though it's kind of hard to access sometimes. Just trust me--once you make yourself at home here, you'll leave feeling a happier and healthier and more uplifted person!"

How was that? Sheesh, I feel embarrassed. I hope no one reads that and thinks I'm too sure of myself...Blech...Maybe the last thing I should add is "Needs a lot of TLC and is kind of fragile." ; )

Team C said...

Only one word for me
CONEDEMNED. Or maybe:
POLICE LINE DO NOT CROSS

Team C said...

whoops that would be CONDEMNED!

Anonymous said...

Heather Baker- great Investment oppertunity . This house is a must see, open floor plan with room to grow, great landscaping oppertunities to create your dream yard.
Or, great mountain retreat for families. Small warm cabins waiting to made into your cozy home. With natures best creatures and the big out doors you can't go wrong with you're neighbors . The views are breath taking from all angels. A must see to believe.

Lori Folkman said...

JazznJenna: You don't need to market your house: it will sell all on its own--yep, it's that amazing! I love the line about the relaxation room. The door to my relaxation room gets jammed a lot too, unfortunately.

Team C: HILARIOUS! But also BAD! You were supposed to be nice to your house! I hope it wasn't a former meth lab. Oh, I know, was it a hoarders nest? I just read about one in Vegas where the guy couldn't even stand upright. Sheesh! Makes me feel better about my house. :)

Heather: you are good at this! I want to buy it! But, does nature really have any "best" creatures? Deer eat your flowers and gardens, squirrels drive you crazy, even birds can get annoying when they are pecking at your house. And the bears ... I don't even want to go there. I feel like Boog in Open Season, "Stupid nature!" Darn, I guess I'm a little crabby. I shouldn't comment at bedtime. Sorry to pick apart your house! Just close the doors and windows when I come over!

bigskyboys said...

You are all very cleaver ladies. This took some thinking.

Rustic, sturdy cabin in a remote location. No frills but ultra efficient. Endless outdoor adventures right out your front door. May seem a little rough and cool upon entry but fire up the wood stove and you'll be comfortable in a moments.

Sally said...

Somewhat petite rambler is bigger on the inside than it looks on the outside. A bit weathered around the edges, but nothing a little TLC can't fix. Newly re-routed plumbing in the attic, which also improved ventilation. Despite over use, back porch still adheres to original parameters. This house is worth a second look!

Lori Folkman said...

Heather: I'm still feeling bad for last night's rant about the animals. Please accept my apologies. And don't report me to PETA.

bigskyboys:Perfect, perfect, perfect! Obviously you have loads of useful stuff stored in your attic. Although I wouldn't say rough and cool, I'd say sweet and delightful.

Sally: Love it! Is ventilation necessary in the attic? Maybe mine is too stuffy. Oh, so jealous that your back porch hasn't been stretched after years of usage. Yes, I will look twice next time I see your house. (You won't mind, will you?)

Anonymous said...

Heather- no worries, I just miss em

Didi said...

A tall pink house
Always quiet
A giant library inside
A beautiful weeping willow out back (representing my long hair)
Colorful yard
Children welcome
Friendly neighbors

Lori Folkman said...

Didi: I can't wait to see this cute house! Oh, I love weeping willows. Nice imagery. I bet there is a yummy candy stash inside too!

Missy said...

Family friendly two story home. Close proximity to schools, work musical performances, sporting events and jogging/biking trails.
Stylish, yet practical.
Bright, cheerful and cozy.
Shingles need some touch-up paint every once in a while.
Overall, easy to maintain and budget friendly.
Not sure what's in the attic... whatever was once there has been scattered or destroyed by the owner's children.

Oh, and I feel your pain about the animals Lori! We lost most of our grapes to a dog and lots of birds. the birds also ate many of our plums! I'm pretty sure the deer thought we planted our tomatoes and squash to be their private smorgasbord!

It's pretty cool having them walk through our yard all the time, I just think we need to draw clear boundaries of what's ours, not theirs. :)

Lori Folkman said...

Missy: I would have listed you as a 3 story home since you're so tall: 4 story when you are wearing your Cher platforms! Perfect description though-- you are bright, cheerful and cozy! How do we draw some boundaries with the animals? Our dog has a perimeter shock collar that works really well: if only we could reverse it to keep the wild animals on the outside! Yesterday we had a heard (flock? gaggle?) of wild turkeys trying to eat the chickens food. How dare they? It's like they want to be fat for Thanksgiving!

Missy said...

Ryan thinks that our rule with the animals (especially deer) should be - if you come into our yard, we have the right to shoot you (that might be a handy rule for you to use with the turkeys since Thanksgiving is around the corner).

I love the reverse shock collar idea...now how do we implement it?! Hmmm....