Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A State of Confusion

Happy Birthday America! This is the best week of the summer, especially if you have dogs and a lake full of vacationers who launch fireworks every night. (Bark, bark, bark!) But all snide comments aside, (say that three times fast. Or ten times slow. Your preference.) I LOVE a week to celebrate our independence, because being free is EVERYTHING. We are a blessed people to live in this land!

I might be of the mindset that while all of America is great, Montana is particularly spectacular. But I realize that's because it is my native state and lots of folks think their native state is the best among the 50. Your state might have lots of unique and amazing aspects, but I ask you this: does your state look like this?


OK, enough bragging. Since I love Montana so much, I thought I would tell you all about it. I'm not going to Google any of this info: it's what I have stored in that hollow cavity called my brain.

1.  Montana is the 4th largest state, and has roughly 1 million people. Only Alaska has fewer people per square mile.

2.  We have TWO national parks.

3.  Helena is the capitol, and before that, it was Virginia City, which now has a population of 5.

4.  Our state motto is Oro e platto, which I know I got the spelling wrong, (remember, I'm not using Google!) but I can pronounce it right-ish and it means Ore and silver. Or something else metallic like that.

5.  We became a state in 1854.

6.  We are known for our wheat and for the city of Butte, which was featured on Buzz Lightyear's rear in Toy Story 2.

7.  Famous Montanans include Gary Cooper, Evel Knievel, and Uncle Ted.

8.  Our state bird is the Meadowlark and the state flower is the bitterroot.

Now I will turn on Google and see how many of these facts I got wrong. I mean right. Because I totally know everything about Montana.

1. I got the first part right, but Wikipedia is telling me we are 48th in population density. I forgot that California has fewer people per square mile than us. Oops. 

2. Right!

3. Right, but I was kidding when I said Virginia City has a population of 5. I think it's really 6. 

4. It's Oro y Plato and it means Gold and Silver, and I totally knew that but my fingers refused to type it. Oro y Plato is also this guys scientific name:


5. I am so ashamed! I was way off. It's 1889. HUGE mistake for a Montana History buff to make. I blame it on the long weekend I had at the Rainbow Gathering. My mind was blown.

6. Yes!

7. Yes! But I forgot Charlie Russell, which is pretty lame of me considering he's my alma mater. What is the mascot for a school named after this famous cowboy painter? Why a rustler, of course. And not just any rustler: a MIGHTY rustler. So. Cool.

8. Yes! and Yes! Also forgot to mention that the grizzly bear is the state animal and the state butterfly is the mourning cloak and the state store is Walmart. 

How much do you know about your state? Do you know its rich history? Do you know why butterflies get their own state category? Do you know why we are having this scorching heat wave?

Here's your challenge:

Tell me all the random facts you know about your state, BUT YOU MAY NOT SEARCH GOOGLE FOR MORE INFORMATION, NOR MAY YOU USE IT TO VERIFY WHAT YOU THINK YOU KNOW. (Yet.)

After you have taken this pop quiz, you need to verify your facts on google. You can keep the comments window open and post just one comment with the facts and the verification, or you may post a second comment after you look up your answers.

So let's see how you do: do you know where you live? I mean really know? Really, really know? Then show me!

Thought this was fun; taken from here.

13 comments:

Nicole Jessop said...

That's not fair, you took all of the good ones! Now I'll have to actually think!

1. There are two branches off of the main colleges in the state (UM and MSU). The University of Montana Western is in Dillon and MSU-B is in Billings. (True!)

2. While Montana is primarily a red state, 2 out of the 3 congressmen are Democrats. (True- but I didn't realize that Rehburg (sp?) wasn't a Representative anymore! I learned something new.)

3. Missoula was just named one of the top 5 places to raise children. (okay, top 5 places to raise 'outdoorsy children' - Article here: http://www.kpax.com/news/missoula-picks-up-outside-magazine-honor/)

4. Another famous person from Montana is Dana Carvey. (True story, from Missoula)

Do I get extra credit if I knew a lot of the answers to your facts?

Lori Folkman said...

Nicole: I'm super impressed! And you haven't even lived in MT for several years. Your brain must have more juice than mine. Please tell me you didn't use "Lori" and "idiot" in the same sentence as you were reading my facts! I didn't know Dana Carvey was from Missoula. Do you think I went to elementary school with him? He might have been the boy who thought it was funny to make me lose my grip from underneath the slide (I was climbing it underneath because I thought I was a monkey) and made me crash to the cement on MY FOREHEAD! Although, I think that boy had dark hair and was growing a mustache in 1st grade, so maybe not. :| How old is Dana Carvey anyway? Now I'm intrigued and I must google him, because that's how I like to spend my time. (I should have never even sat at the computer this afternoon! No self control!)

Lori Folkman said...

Post-google follow up: what the heck! Dana is 58! He still looks 30! I need the number of his plastic surgeon! SO we DID NOT go to school together. I don't need to add 19.11 and 1/2 years to my already almost over the edge age!

Nicole Jessop said...

Wow, I would not have guessed that to be his age!

Little Miss Devree said...

NEVADA! (even though I'm in Idaho right now...)
1. We are the Silver State!
2. We're also Battle Born
3. I'm pretty confident we are the brownest state. (as in desert, not skin color)
4. State bird: blue bird
5. State animal: big horn sheep
6. State flower: Sagebrush (isn't it dumb that a WEED is our state flower? Who decides these things anyway?)
7. Nevada means snow capped.
8. We are the proud habitat of the Sierra mountains
9. We got part of Tahoe, the bluest prettiest lake!
10. We have a state song that I learned in elementary school that my mommy and I sang when we were finally coming hme from St. Judes and we could see the Sierras from the plane.
11. our state dinosaur is the icthyasaurous (totally didn't spell that right)

Little Miss Devree said...

NV is 36th state on October 31st 1864 so we always get Halloween off from school. There's 17 counties. We do have legalized gambling but that's not a focus for LDS culture. everything I said is valid, go a head and check me! :) Tomorrow is my birthday so I say all the fireworks to celebrate our country are really for me. :) Hey, you guys should look at and read my blog and help with my class assignment! Thank you! HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA!

Lori Folkman said...

Devree: You is smart!!! I wonder if the dinosaur got itchy because he rubbed up against the sagebrush too much. You forgot to mention the bunny ranches though ... oh wait, you probably did that on purpose to make sure you don't talk smut, huh? Oopsy daisy. Happy Birthday! I'm off to read your blog now, but will I be helping you cheat??? JK. See you in 5 seconds...

Jennifer Lovell said...

I will probably fail this quiz. Just sayin'.

I'm going to offer a few bits that I remember about Nevada, even though I saw that Devree reported on that too (I have not read her comment yet though), and even though I only lived there from 6th-12th grade.

1. Sagebrush is one of the state symbols. I'm not sure if it's the state flower or the state plant though. I think tumbleweeds are so funny, so I have always remembered that (watch me be wrong). --Ooh, I was right, it's the state flower.

2. The state flag is navy blue. I think the writing on it is silver. Are you impressed? --Blue-yes. Silver writing-no. Doh!

3. Nevada has some of the lowest taxes in the nation (like property and income tax) since the gambling money collected pays for so much of the state's needs. --Not sure how to check that fact, but I remember my dad telling me that.

4. My hometown of Fallon was used as one of the settings for the movie "Wizzard," starring Fred Savage (the actor who played the boy to whom the book is being read in The Princess Bride). --We thought it was funny that they used our old drive in theater for one of the scenes, even though our town didn't use it anymore.

5. The current location for Top Gun, the flight training place, is in my hometown of Fallon. No, I never got to see Tom Cruise, but I do remember going to see a really cool air show once or twice there. --True, TOPGUN has been there since 1996.

I think that's about all I can remember for now. I'm so not impressed with myself. I've never been one to remember historical trivia!

Jennifer Lovell said...

Devree, what's your blog address?

Lori Folkman said...

Jenna: Hello stranger! I'm impressed with all that you remember about Nevada, but I'm also disappointed that you never did see Tom at Top Gun. Have you noticed that he doesn't age either? What's in the water in Hollywood? And why didn't any of you girls mention the awesome bands that have come out of Nevada? The Killers and Imagine Dragons are something to brag about! I'm going to have to deduct a few points. :( JK. I'll let it slide because Vegas is all the way across the dessert from Fallon. Devree's blog address is on her profile page. :)

LStevens said...

I live in Starbuck's. How interesting? I have also lived in Great Harvest, Sinclair, and taco john's .

Lori Folkman said...

LStevens: I hope you get a friends and family discount at Starbucks! I didn't realize Taco Johns came from WY--which seems kinda weird since WY is so far away from Mexico. They should have shown Canada on the map with Poutine--now that's a creation to be proud of!

LStevens said...

Lori....I had to laugh at myself, when I realized I had done this one incorrectly... I know that Washington is known for its delicious apples and cherries. We are the Evergreen State. The Columbia River runs right through my town of Wenatchee. I love living here. As for the state bird, flower and such I would have to cheat and google that information, but since that is against the rules, I can't tell you!! LOL! :)