Tuesday, September 17, 2013

California and Dreamin'

We're baaaaaack! Thanks for letting me skip out on the blog last week friends! It was fabulous to get away for a few days, even if all that driving gave me some majorly plush canckles!


California, I like you. You are pretty (ish. Some places, not so much. Yes Barstow, I'm talking about you.). You have an ocean! (Shocking, I know!) You have so much industry. So much agriculture! Did you know all my favorite foods are grown in California? I have decided to move there when I retire and buy an almond farm. It makes perfect sense really, because I spend a few hundred dollars on almonds every month year, so I may as well save a few bucks and grow my own!


But guess what: even more than retiring to an almond farm, I could see myself living in California (oceanside), especially during the months of January, February, March, April and May (and sometimes June.) (Shh, don't tell my dad!) California has lots to offer and I can see why the southerners from way down south risk life and limb to get there. (Honestly, I can't really see that, but I haven't been to Mehico to see the deplorable conditions, so I shall reserve my judgement.)

I'm lucky enough to live in a major tourist destination. (Sometimes me thinks I'm not lucky-- sometimes me thinks I'm cursed! Tourists don't know how to drive. Nor do they know you can't launch fireworks all summer long. But I digress ... ) I know droves of people who visit here, fall in love and then want to move here. It's funny too how people think it would be blissful to live in an area so lovely, but they fail to realize that when you live here, you don't get to play all the time. You still have to work, get kids to school and extra curricular, clean the house, etc, clean the house, etc, clean the house, etc .... If you are not careful, you can get so caught up in the daily grind that you forget you live somewhere awesome.

One of my favorite sights in California was down by the pier at about 9:30 a.m. We saw a guy getting dressed after surfing. ....Wait, I worded that wrong. We didn't watch him get dressed and seeing things like that isn't my favorite thing. (Promise. If you could have seen me regurgitate my morning Coke when I saw a lady's cheek hanging out of her shorts this morning as I dropped the kids off from school, you would believe me! (Yes, I really saw that. Ick. And she went INTO the school like that. Double ick. I bet her children look forward to winter.))  Anywho, back to the story: this fellow had just changed into his button-down shirt and slacks and was getting ready for work after spending the morning surfing. How cool is that?

I think everyone falls in love with various tourist destinations, but only a small handful of people can move to those dream locales without worrying about how to pay for their new adventure. (And even if you could afford to move to a beach somewhere, you wouldn't want to do NOTHING all the time, would you? BORING!)


What tourist spot have you visited and then fallen in love with? Have you dreamt of moving there? And what would you do to pay the bills? Be creative: you can do anything you want to do while living in dreamland!

I'm going to cheat a little on mine (my dream, I can do what I want!). I've never been to the Caribbean, mostly because I know if I went there, I would never come back! (There might be another reason that has something to do with finances, but we'll forget about that part. DEPRESSING!) But, I know I would love to live there because I've seen it in on the Telly and it looks heavenly! So, I'm going to move somewhere tropical and live on the ocean, and for a job I'm going to work in a bakery or as a barista in a non-alcoholic bar mixing Dirty Diet Cokes. I think it would be fun to have a job where you could meet people from all over the world and tell them about all the hidden treasures of that area. Is that weird? I think it sounds very low-stress and very high-adventure!

Your turn: Pick a dream destination to relocate to and then find a way to make it happen! For reals! Get planning! I want you moving half-way around the world by December! (Just kidding. Not for reals. Just for dreams. Unless you want to make it happen ... then don't let anything stop you!) (BTW, did you know that I've discovered that the key to motivating people is by using lots of exclamation marks? Seriously, it works!!!!)

15 comments:

Nicole Jessop said...

So far the only place that I've visited and wanted to relocate to is my beloved Montana. However, we both dream of going to visit Ireland and New Zealand and I could see them having the potential of us loving a vacation home there. Never permanently moving though. Even now, our plan is always to be where ever we are temporarily until we can get back home where we belong.

PaulaShawn said...

I was surpised by the stunning beauty of the Green Mountain State. I found myself wishing I lived there. Now, they don't really have mountains like we are used to, but for the area they had impressive mountains. And they really were green. I didn't have to wear the right tint of shades to make the scenery green, like I do here, and there were trees everywhere. I loved the winding country roads, the covered wooden bridges, the purple sky at sunset, the 6th largest freshwater lake (after the 5 Great Lakes), the endless outdoor activities offered, and the most important of them all -- the Ben & Jerry's HDQ. I would live there, bike there, kayak there, ski there, and eat ice cream there. And then figure out how to make money doing those things. Or not.

Lori Folkman said...

Nicole: you make my heart warm! And also I feel guilt--I bet you would never complain about long Montana winters, would you? I hope your temporary goes quickly and we can help welcome you home for good!

PaulaShawn:I had to look up which state you were referring to. (Hey, I've never claimed to be a brainiac) I can see why you would want to relocate there, plus I might be more likely to come visit you if you live someplace pretty. :) I'm honestly surprised though--I though for sure you'd say Moab. I guess it's just whichever vacation is the most recently imprinted on your brain, right?

Little Miss Devree said...

Wherever I think about there's some dreaded season of terrible weather...I mean Hawaii would be bomb but it gets so scorchingly hot (and that comes from a chick with a cold intolerance) that I'd never want to wear my wig and I'd never catch my one fish in the sea for me. I'd want to live where there's a good spirit and there's always somewhere nearby where bands or other forms of entertainment would hold concerts or put on plays. So I guess I like being in Rexburg, I just hate being in college classes and the winter here. I like meeting new people and having so many cousins nearby and having so many eye candy boys to dream about but I just dislike going to class and studying. I also hate trudging uphill for anything on campus in the snow. I mean it would be nice if we could move BYU-I right next to Lake Tahoe that's so beautiful and blue with it's sandy beaches and just all around excellency but I'm generally happy.

By the way Lori, going to work after surfing is kinda nasty. Unless he had his soap and shampoo to shower with that's really just cross. Have you ever SMELLED anything that just came out of the ocean? Plus getting all that sand and salt smashed into your skin if you biffed surfing? I'D feel dirty.

Lori Folkman said...

Devree: you crack me up! Maybe you need to invent air-conditioned wigs! Million dollar idea! But I do beg to differ--you are cute enough that you could catch your fish even without hair! I'm glad that you made it back to college and that your eyes have lots of pleasing sights to take in! And thanks a lot for ruining the romance of surfing before work for me! What's next, are you going to tell me that kissing isn't all that great either???

Jennifer Lovell said...

I wouldn't mind living forever in Salamanca, Spain :). Although, when I lived there, it was pretty stressful because I was a new missionary. Take the stress away and I would love to see what that's like.

Okay, I'm having a hard time separating the stress. Let's try instead Charleston, South Carolina. That was a beautiful place where I lived when I was a little girl. I think I'll pick there. Love the palm trees and the colonial homes!

To keep me there, I'd like to sell ice cream sandwiches on the beach. And make jewelry out of sea shells :).

Lori Folkman said...

Jenna: I would love to come visit you in Charleston. I would go gaga over the houses, I'm sure. I know, because I've seen those on the Telly too. (I like to live my life vicariously through others.) Making jewelry out of sea shells sounds delightful! You'd have to change you name to Sally though ...

Little Miss Devree said...

Lori, if you can figure our how to work in an air conditioner and NOT make it look awkward or weigh a ton, I'm up for any ideas. Thank you for flattering me and I'm sorry I ruined that for you. I'm just not one of those girls who thinks it's sexy to kiss a man when he just scored the winning goal or slayed you captor and is all sweaty. Yeah that doesn't turn me on. However I think kissing a guy in the pouring rain would be romantic. (and not because it's on the cove of The Notebook(I've actually never even seen it)) And I have no stand on kissing. You would know a LOT more about it than me. Most girls my age would. :/

Jennifer Lovell said...

My daughter Audrey (turned 10 yesterday) asked, "Did Lori put a new post on? ...What was it about?" I told her, "Pick a dreamy place that you would like to live. Maybe somewhere that you've visited." She instantly answered, "Oregon. Most people would probably choose Disneyland. But I choose Oregon." I thought that was a cute answer :).

-"Why would you choose Oregon?"
-"Because it's always so pretty, and it always has perfect weather. It has pink leaves in the fall. And in the winter, you only get about one inch of snow, so it's so fun to scrape the snow off of the cars so you can build a snowman."

:)

Lori Folkman said...

Devree: I'm working on a prototype right now, although I'm concerned that the wiring harness might accidentally electrocute you if your hair gets wet ... for example, if you happen to be in the pouring rain kissing Ryan Gosling. And if that's the case, it's highly likely he will get electrocuted as well. You would really see sparks fly!!! I will continue to work out the kinks....

Audrey: I hope you had a great birthday! You are practically a woman now! I hope you don't wont high heels like I did when I was your age: they're really not very comfortable and they would make you taller than all the boys! Oregon is close to Montana, so I like your selection. And I like the 1 inch of snow idea--we get FEET of it around here. It's fun for awhile, but then it gets old. (It doesn't get moldy and smelly, but it does get crunchy!) Later little gator!

bigskyboys said...

I owe you a comment since I've been missing for so long and plus you listened to my random thoughts today and didn't make fun.

I live in my dream place. Really, it's true that's why I married my man. Since he grew up here I knew he'd want to stay. But, by March I am usually in need of some good old sunshine so in my dream world I would have a condo on a beach. Hawaii, the caribbean, it doesn't much matter anywhere with some sunny blue skiies and warm air. You can come visit!

Lori Folkman said...

bigskyboys: You owe me nothing! I owe you for the best workout I've had in weeks. I can say that you are, quite literally, a PAIN IN THE BUTT! (But a good pain in the butt!) ... I know someone who married a girl just for her dual-citizenship and I was aghast at the thought of marrying someone for convenience, but that is exactly what you did, isn't it? Does he know the real reason behind your devotion? Does he know that you can never love another like you love Montana? (I suspect he does, and I suspect he has told you the same!) That Montana is something else, isn't she? I hope your condo on a beach doesn't have a mountain nearby because I don't need you humiliating me again. Could you imagine how far behind I would have been if I was the one with a child on my back? (Especially if that child was a teenager.)

Mary Allen said...

yup! had that dream..visited, fell in love with and then moved to Hawaii. was there for ten years, and I would definitely revisit, but not move back!! now living in my next dream area, Bigfork.. there is beauty all around. hey, isn't there a song with that title?

Lori Folkman said...

Mary: Well hello virtual stranger! Yes, there is beauty all around. There is also rain all around! :) What a cool experience to live in Hawaii for all those years. I've never seen you do the hula though ... you are going to have to teach me so I can be prepared for my someday when I get to visit there!

Mary Allen said...

I am too akward to dance the hula, might talk to Zoe..she can do it!! and there are other things more fun, like snorkeling to do in Hawaii:)