Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Higher Learning

With the teenagers heading back to school (the eldest is a senior!) and my recent (like yesterday) trip to my hometown, I seem to have one thing on my brain: HIGH SCHOOL.

With the mention of that phrase, you might experience a couple of different emotions. Either you think

1. Eew, gross
or 
2. Oh, blessed day!
... or possibly
3. Meh.

And your feelings about that vertically aspiring institution likely change with time. I remember feeling like high school was the equivalent of living at the bottom of the Berkly Pit, but now that I look back, I think, "Oh my gosh, it was like living at Disneyland!" (OK, so I exaggerated, again. But really, it wasn't half-bad! I think I actually liked it ... most of the time.)

My high school was a big city high school, Montana style. We had just under 400 ish in our graduating class, so in comparison with the high school in my current town, that's huge. (Each class here has around 70.) But high school in Montana is high school in Montana. Meaning--it might be a little on the boring side. Sports are IT; all the other clubs and extracurricular seem to struggle. If you're a wide-receiver with Road Runner legs and glue-coated fingertips, Montana might be the place for you. But I was never very good at football.

But, just like real life, you can bloom anywhere. How does one bloom in the vast prairies of Montana (high schools)?

  • Don't worry about what other people think about you. You can't change their thoughts. But you can change the way you think of yourself. That means you need to like yourself. Which is what gives you confidence. Which leads to the next point:

  • Be confident. Everyone has insecurities. Just hide yours until you forget they exist.

  • Don't try to fit into any particular group. Nobody likes to be classified by just one characteristic, (jock, geek, skater, whatever.) People are so much more than a label; don't strive to become one (popular).

  • Have good hygiene. And don't ever, ever, ever have big bangs, even if everyone else has big bangs. 

  • Be nice. Especially to the people who don't have good hygiene or have really big bangs. 

  • Be silly. You have your entire life to be grown up. (Silly and immature aren't necessarily the same thing. Be wise in your silliness.)  

  • Don't forget your family. They'll be around a lot longer than that one guy you squirted ketchup on (picture a white Miami Vice jacket) whose name you can't even remember. 

What advice would you give to current high schoolers? Anything you regret doing (or not doing) during high school? Did you love it or loathe it? Would you like to go back? (Who wants to watch Never Been Kissed? Looove that show.)

And just because I thought these were fun: we did a photo tour of Great Falls one day with our friend Stephanie. And by we, I mean Paula, because we were inseparable back then. Weren't we Paula? Also wanted to show these because there was absolutely nothing else to do that day, but look how much fun we had!


(You were getting kind cheeky with that guy, weren't you Paula?)
  
Let's talk high school! GO!


9 comments:

Jennifer Lovell said...

My best advice for a high schooler is to keep a journal! Write about your hopes and dreams and joys and heartbreaks. You'll treasure those captured feelings later and throughout your life. Without it, you won't remember HALF of what you wish you could!

I passed up several opportunities. I almost tried out for cheerleading--had my name on the tryout list--but crossed it off at the last minute. I also didn't do the school musical because I didn't feel it was...actually I don't remember what my excuse was. I wish I would have gone through with the musical at least (ditching the cheerleading "opportunity" might not have been a mistake for me), because to this day, I have never been in one (a musical or an opera) and I know I would have LOVED those memories. Take the time to make those special memories.

My last piece of advice is to listen to your parents. You don't have to DO everything they advise, but at least know that they DO know what it's like to be a teenager, and they do know what's worth all the emotional uprise and what's not. And, be careful when you're dating. There will be plenty of time for lovey dovey stuff after high school...just HAVE FUN!!

Nicole Jessop said...

I usually tell my students not to take high school or their peers too seriously. I only talk to maybe 5 people from high school on a regular basis, if that. The majority of them aren't people that need to be in my life anymore due to changing interests, priorities, etc. While it's hard because you see these people every day, soon it will be over and you won't have to deal with them ever again. It's so sad to see these kids that struggle with bullying and even end their lives when they only had a year or two left with these people and then they could be done. Of course, in high school a year or two feels like an eternity.

And I agree with being nice to everyone and being a friend. You don't have to be their best friend or hang out with them, but being friendly with everyone can get you far in life.

Little Miss Devree said...

Paula, Brady looks so much like you! I can see it now!
Lori, I love Never Been Kissed! It's ne of my few DVDs at college with me.

Okay, be involved in high school. Do extracurricular activities and join teams.
Be a friend and have confidence in yourself. Lots of people will want to bring you down but you need to have the strength to stand up.
Make wise choices.
Have more friends of the opposite gender. It makes you more comfortable around them.
Save for college. Don't blow your money on frivolous things.
Learn to cook and eat everything your mama feeds you. You be thankful when you are on your own.
Apply for scholarships. Don't wait until the summer before going to college.
Have a good friend to turn to when things aren't so hot.
Be happy. You're attitude is what makes a day good or bad.
Adapt to the situation, overcome the trials, and endure to the end.

Lori Folkman said...

Jenna: thanks for advising non-schoolers to keep a journal too. :) One of these days, I'm going to tackle that. I ALMOST tried out for cheerleading too, but thankfully my friend talked me out of it. Good friends don't let you make a fool out of yourself. I especially like the part about listening to your parents. No wait, I don't like that. You DON'T need to listen to your parents. (We are practicing reverse psychology at our house. D'oh, I shouldn't have told you that. Now they are on to me! My plan is foiled!!!)

Nicole: it is so sad that kids can't see beyond the short time frame of high school. Even sadder is the bullying! Why do kids have to be so mean? Maybe teachers should start smacking kids with rulers again. :0

Devree: let's get Brady a Paula wig and have him dress as his mother for Halloween! Yes! Best idea ever! Your advice is perfect. I especially like those last few lines and I will apply them to my own life! (starting tomorrow. I want to be grumpy today.)

Anonymous said...

I agree with all that has already been said. I would add: Realize you can do anything you set your mind to and never give up.
Get the best grades you possibly can.
The choices you make WILL effect the rest of your life.
Learn to like healthy food.
Be Brave!
Develope a personal relationship with Christ.
Nicole Seipert

Lori Folkman said...

TheOtherNicole: Love your list! I want to frame it and put it on the boys' wall. By healthy food: you mean donuts and Big Mac's and candy bars, right? When I was a teen, I used to eat a candy bar or an ice cream sandwich for lunch every day, topped off with a (non-diet) soft-drink. I could really make my lunch dollar stretch! BTW, I still think it's awesome you competed for Miss Teen MT when you were in high school. I wish I would have had that kind of courage. And BTW, BTW, you should totally compete for Mrs. Montana. You would win!

PaulaShawn said...

Cute pics, Lou! There are so many scary pictures of me, I'm surprised you didn't publish some of those!

I love the line from a movie that said, "High school is what you spend the rest of your life getting over."

Fortunately, the best family, an active youth group, super friends, and great advice from an older sister made those years not too horrific. I had fun times and experienced lots, but even at that I was more than happy to wrap them up!

I'd emphasize that HS is temporary - very temporary. And it doesn't really matter, other than if you make bad choices it can ruin the rest of your life. So just do what you should do; keep the commandments (even and especially the one about honoring your parents), participate in seminary, have fun with your church friends, get rid of attitude, realize that your are preparing for life and you want a great one, and don't take things too seriously. Most importantly, make a habit of daily personal spiritual growth. Never forget that you are a spiritual being haveing a physical experience, not a physical being having some spiritual experiences.

Jules said...

Hi Lori--it's Julie Rowse from...HIGH SCHOOL! (I thought this might be a good post to comment on since that's where we met and all.) I stumbled on your blog and I'm so glad I did!

High school was like Disneyland for me, because I got to hang out with awesome people like you. And now I teach high school, so it's still a little like Disneyland, but in an entirely different way (lines, anger, overpriced food, and Pirates of the Caribbean is ALWAYS broken).

Lori Folkman said...

Jules--No way!!! I can't believe it's you! I seriously was thinking about you just the other day! So, what have you been up to the last 20 years? :) Crazy it's been that long. Ha ha, I loved your Disneyland analogy. I do hope you get to wear a princess costume every now and then so your Disneyland experience is more complete. :) I will now go look YOU up!