Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Never Trick, Only Treat

Do you love October? Is you answer YES? Then keep reading! (If your answer was NO, keep reading!)


My kiddos love October, and say that Halloween is their second favorite holiday, right behind Christmas. (Personally, I prefer Nunavut Day, but maybe that's just me. What, you don't know what Nunavut Day is? Well, then you must not be very Canadian, eh. (BTW, did you know they have a holiday practically every month in Canada? I just don't understand why US Congress is debating budget things when they could be finding ways to get us more holidays! DUH! There's something so wrong with our government.) Oh oops, I need another ) right here) to show that I ended that first sub-thought which then became another sub-thought. Was that last thought also a sub-thought, thus requiring more of these ((( and these )))?

(My blog would be a lot shorter and therefore easier to read if I could just stay on track!) Anywaywearetalkingabout: OCTOBER! My kids are aflutter with excitement. (No joke, one of my children flutters. It is a fabulous phenomenon which I don't know how to rectify.) Of course Halloween is fun for the kids, what with getting candy from strangers and what not, but I do think it's fun for us old people too. (Anything that makes my kids happy makes me happy!) It is a time to be silly and live out subdued fantasies.

I'll admit that I don't usually dress up for Halloween. I'm usually so exhausted trying to put stuff together for the kids (and making treats for parties and celebrating Teen #2's birthday  (He's a Halloweenie!)) that I consider myself lucky to have normal make-up on. Last year, I went all out and dressed up as Pam (from The Office) for Halloween. All I had to do was wear a cardigan, skirt and flats. Most people just thought I looked really nice for a casual activity like Trick-or-Treating. This year, the kids are being Minions, so I'm considering being either Gru or Agnes.


My favorite costume from when I was a kid was when mom made me a princess costume that was silky green with sequins around the neckline. It was cold that year (surprise, Montana!) and I chose to wear my puffy parka underneath my gown, so people could still see the dress. I might have looked like the Stay-Puff Marshmallow Man gone moldy.

My second (and third) favorite costumes were not worn by me, but by my parents. My dad dresses up for Halloween like never, so I don't know what kind of deal my mom made to get him in this costume, but it was THE CUTEST. They were Raggedy Ann and Andy. Aw, sweet! (Pictures do exist. I need to raid mom's photo albums next time I go home.)

I'm a sucker for any kind of fluffy animal costume for wee little children, and it makes me a wee bit sad I don't have any littles to wear these costumes. The teenagers might object if I try to dress them up as a puppy and an otter again.


I also like clever costumes like a picture of a quarter taped to your back. (Quarterback) and smarties glued to your pants (Smartie ... oh, you can figure it out, can't you?)

If I decide to go all out this year or the next or the next, I think it would be fun to be Ms. Havisham.

Helena-Bonham Carter always has the COOLEST costumes. I wonder if she dresses up for Halloween? 

My dream costume would be to "borrow" Lady Curzon's famous peacock dress, which weighed 10 pounds and was made from gold cloth, peacock feathers (surprise!) and the wings of scarab beetles (not a fan of that part, but what can you do? Pick them all off? Don't think so.)

 You can see more pics and read about the dress here.

How about you? What's your favorite costume you've ever worn? Favorite costume you've seen someone else wear? Dream costume? How about this year: what are you going to be? What will your kids/ roommates/ rodents be?

Discuss, discuss (but please, do not cuss!).

11 comments:

Nicole Jessop said...

I don't have a dream costume or anything. My favorite costume I've worn was the year I dressed up as Abby from NCIS. And, everyone knew who I was! So I'd call that a success. Maybe in a couple years I'll resurrect that costume. This year I'm going as Capt America and Brae will be the cutest little Batman you've ever seen. We have a Halloween parade at school and every year some of the teachers (that don't have classes, like the principal and school psych - (ah! Steve and I should be Shawn and Juliet next year!) bring their babies and kids that aren't in school to do the parade. So I'll be bringing Brae to that because our ward is lame and we don't have a trunk or treat.

Also, if I could have found it, she would have gone as this instead (http://www.pinterest.com/pin/99712579221189494/) But I couldn't find it :( I searched all over. Next year she's going to be the very hungry caterpillar and that's her favorite book so it will be perfect!

Anne said...

I'm super lame and hardly ever dress up. I always think it sounds fun and then when it comes down to it I'm just generally too cheap to spend money on a costume for myself. A few years ago my sister in law had the best costume EVER! She made up this fictional character" Eubiginia" she had those yucky hibilly teeth and all kinds of props to go with her costume. The best part was she stayed in character all night long. She never broke. It was awesome. The next year Steve decided to dress up as her long lost brother and again they both stayed in character all night. They were hilarious!

We haven't figured out what the kids are going to be this year. I saw Tinker Bell, Captain Hook, and Jake ( from Jake and the Neverland pirates) and peter Pan but my oldest isn't interested in being so cutesy. He'd rather be something from mine craft. Which will be pretty easy and cheap so we will probably go with that.

Question about that dress... how do they get the wings to stay? Are they sewn in? Who thinks if putting beetle wings on a dress?

Lori Folkman said...

Nicole: I can't wait to see pictures of the cutest little Batman and Mrs. Captain America! What superhero will Steve be? He'd make a great Hulk. I'm hoping you can find an occasion for him to resurrect that wig he wore at the family reunion. Isn't there a superhero dude with long black hair? Love the Hungry Caterpillar idea, but if she's already finished The Hobbit, she might be too mature for a picture book next year. She might want to dress as Charlotte Bronte or something.

Anne: I'm like you: I'd rather spend money on clothes that can be worn more than once! What was Eubigina's brother's name? I must see pictures! And hear the accents! Funny! I don't understand why your eldest doesn't want to be Tinker Bell. Geesh. Boys these days have no imagination! ... They used the beetle wings so they could get the iridescent effect without using emeralds, because apparently the lady who ordered it didn't have a lot of money. They wings were stuck on with a hot glue gun.

Jennifer Lovell said...

Halloween--I'm not a fan. Sorry. But I do like images of cute witches and jack-o-lanterns. Just don't expect me to decorate my house with them.

Best costume I ever wore was probably the giant jack-o-lantern costume I wore in middle school. It was made like one of those 1-piece baby night gown with the draw string at the bottom, but I pulled the string tight up around my legs or hips, and filled the bulk up with fluff. But we didn't have that much fluff, so we filled it up with a ton of plastic garbage bags, which made it kind of sweaty. But it was really fun to walk around all plump like that, and to try to squeeze into my desks at school.

Biggest costume mistake? I wore my last pair of actual ballet pointe shoes around the neighborhood for trick-or-treating, and kind of ruined them. Why didn't we save them anyway? I wish I knew.

My kids have a lot of fun getting dressed up, but it's just one more activity that stresses me out, and I'd rather not spend a penny on it, so I'm kind of a Halloween Scrooge. Maybe I should dress up as Scrooge this year ;).

Unknown said...

I don't have a favorite but I do have a costume that haunts me to this day. It was my first 6th grade Halloween dance, my mom decided that it would be cute to dress me as a bag of jelly beans. So I wore a big clear plastic bag filled with balloons. Talk about big and awkward, I don't remember anyone asking my to dance (it's not like they could have gotten close enough to ask me) and I couldn't sit down, I made too much noise when I moved, I was happy when it was over and I could go home.

Mary Allen:) said...

Since I have hadwhite streaks in my hair since high schol, I took advantage of them and did the bride of Frankentein once. that was fun. dyed my hair dark (it was blonder then) and mom teased it and piled it up. wish I had kept pictures of it

Lori Folkman said...

Jenna: So I didn't know you were a ballerina. I've known you how long and you've never told me that one critical piece of information? Geesh. Everything will be different from now on. In fact, I don't know if we can even be friends anymore. He he, just kidding. Yeah, that wasn't a good idea wearing pointe shoes out of the studio, but I bet you looked cute. I love the Scrooge idea. In fact, we should have it be a theme Halloween and everyone dress as Charles Dickens characters. Wee! What fun!

Kris: Kris? Kris! Noh whey! How sweet of you to visit! I LOVE your story. Your mom is actually pretty savvy. I think those costumes should be standard dress for all high school dances now days. No twerking with one of those costumes on! Thank you for making me giggle today; I can just picture how uncomfortable you were! I hope pictures exist!

Mary: You would make a great bride of Frankenstein! Do it again this year! Teen #1 would make a great Frankenstien's monster. What a pair you'd be!

Little Miss Devree said...

I should really start writing my post in a word document and transferring it; then I'd be more motivated to post again and i would hate life a little less.
My favorite costume was when I dressed like Alice Cullen. I wore a dress similar to the one she wore in the first Twilight movie and did my make-up so it was dark under my eyes, made my face pale, and wore dark lipstick that really made my lips stand out. My hair was cut like hers (even though Ashley Green wore a wig) and styled the same. However, I wore it the same every day so I had to make that day different. I bought some legit, movie-worthy fangs even though the Cullens don’t have fangs so that people would get that I’m dressing up.
I love when my parents dress as a couple. One year Daddy was a gorilla and Mommy was a banana. I remember when my brother, Noble, and I were little Mom dressed us a Quasimodo and Esmeralda. That was cute. I also love when families dress with a theme. My cousin and her family had a Wizard of Oz theme one ear. That was adorable. My aunt and Uncle have 7 children so they were Snow White, Prince Charming, and the 7 dwarves.
This semester my roommates and I are going to be Disney princesses. The plan is for us to have shirts the color for that princess with her name on it and then a toole tutu. I’m gonna be Ariel and wear my long red wig. I might make a seashell bra out of paper. That’s the plan!

Lori Folkman said...

Devree: What the heck, both your comments showed up in my inbox: why does blogger like to eat yours? I bet it has something to do with you harassing Google to get your password back last year. They've flagged you and are sabotaging you! Oh no, and now that I've mentioned it, they are going to flag me too! (I wonder if the government shutdown means that they aren't spying on us as much. That would be one plus!) Your family sounds like so much fun. Can they adopt me? (not that my family's not fun. Holy crud I just got myself into hot water saying that. I LOVE my family. LOVE LOVE LOVE. But the more the merrier, right? Everyone should have multiple families! Yes? Yes. Phew, that was tense there for a second.) I love your Ariel idea. I hope you don't get in trouble for dressing inappropriately, but you can always say that your costume is Disney approved and everything Disney does is safe and appropriate! That means I should be able to dress like Ursula for the ward Halloween party. Good idea, right?

bigskyboys said...

Halloween is a guilty holiday for me. Growing up my Mom made us great costumes and always dressed up herself. Loved it. As a Mom myself, not so much. Rural MT and todays society kind of stiffles it for me. Trick or treating just isn't the same. The boys and I will drag out the same old farmer, scare crow, Robin Hood costumes as usual and I'll continue to feel a bit guilty for my patheticness. But I do love all things fall/halloweenish. Nothing better than pumpkins, apples, spices and fall leaves.

ps- not sure whether to be offended or not by the comparison to that "cute" green eyed monkey????

Lori Folkman said...

bigskyboys: my life is a guilty un-holiday! Remember me telling you what my mom excels at and I fail at? At least you only have guilt once a year! And you're not telling the truth about the same old costumes: remember the year you knocked the socks off of Ms. America? That was my favorite. Do it again! And ... I called you a pain in the butt a few weeks ago and that didn't offend you, but comparing you to a sweet, big-eyed creature did??? I can never win, can I?