Tuesday, February 4, 2014

For The Love of Austen

(Bigskyboys just had a slight heart attack reading that title, as she likely thought I have a crush on her husband. She was probably also irritated that I don't know how to spell his name right.)

Book trends come and go: witches and wizards, vampires, zombies, hula-hooping aliens, but in the realm of fiction, there is one thing that is constant: the love of Jane Austen. You would think that as each generation grows old and passes on, the passion for words written some 200 years ago would turn to dust, but as each young woman (and all sensible young men) come of age, they too find a kinship with Jane's long-gone world.

Not only is there a deep and abiding love for Jane's stories, there's also the desire to find anything similar to her works, be it a modern spin on her classics, or other regency romances that pull us into a world of gowns and cravats, midnight balls and afternoon strolls in the park.

Why is this?

I think it's quite simple, really: we long for the days of decorum.

Men looked like this:




and not this:



Women dressed like this to stroll about town:

Instead of like this:


Insert picture of any one of a large handful of celebrity women "dressed" for a night out here
Hint hint, the clothes resemble a "bare" skinned rug, which has recently been stolen, leaving the wood floor bare. Get it?

I think we long for the day when men courted women instead of whistling from across the street.

I think we long for the day when men called the object of their affection, "my darling," or "my love."

I think we long for the day when women were (dare I say it?) treated delicately. Women are different from men, and that's how our Maker intended it. Not to say that women are inferior or should be treated as property, as they were during Austen's era, but there was a certain gentleness with which women were treated back in her day. I think we all desire to be treated as a delicate rose--at least occasionally--do we not?

LivingstonslifeinMontana and I had a conversation last week about the scene from Emma where Mr. Knightly scolds Emma for being rude to Mrs. Bates, as it was not only using bad manners, it was actually considered immoral and socially irresponsible. Oh how times have changed! Nowadays, we are celebrated for being able to speak our minds, even if what we are saying is crass, uncouth, and oftentimes downright mean. I personally like the Thumperian Principle, in that if you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all. 


Certainly, there are many things about the past that should be left in the past; like separation of classes and races, poor working conditions for the lower classes, and unrighteous judgement from those in upper society towards others who were not like them. But am I right that much of that which was good in their society has been abandoned by us modernists?

Would you have liked living in a Jane Austen novel? Are you a fan of Regency Romances? What other classic authors do you enjoy? How about modern novelists writing historical romances: who do you love? Do you love costume TV dramas or movies like Downton Abbey?

What aspects of a Regency Era (or later, as I prefer the Gilded Age) do you miss in modern living? (Afternoon naps were a common and respected form of recreation. I would have fit in well in that society!)

Phew, I'm long winded today, aren't I? (Speaking of long winded, I wonder if we like the Regency Era because there's never any flatulence jokes.)

Talk to me: tell me everything you love about Jane. And the era. And then some!

8 comments:

Nicole Jessop said...

I have a confession…. I've never read a Jane Austen book. Let the hate mail begin.

Jennifer Lovell said...

I was watching Downton with my hubby last night (it still blows me away that he would watch that with me, considering all of the other froofy shows that he absolutely refuses to touch with a ten foot pole), and I loved being reminded of how a man would always stand when a lady entered a room, or left the table. So sweet. I dated a guy in college that liked to do all those old fashioned things for me--open doors, and when walking down the street, he made sure he was always the one next to the street. And he could dance the waltz...I wish guys would still dance with ladies like that. LOVE that!

I do like to read Jane Austen novels, but I have only read two! They take me many many months to get through. But I will read another one someday soon (I think I'll take on Emma next). I've seen most of the movies though :).

If I could choose to live now or then--like Kate in "Kate and Leopold"--which would I choose? Well...if it meant ending up with Hugh Jackman by going back in time, I think you know which I'd choose, ha ha ;) (will that joke ever get old?).

Probably the number one thing I love about that era is the DRESSES they got to wear. I got to wear a dress like theirs in one choir concert I was in a few years ago. I got to opt out of the corset because I was pregnant at the time, ha!

Lori Folkman said...

Nicole: well that was the shortest comment ever. It was also the most disappointing comment ever. :( JK. I do hope Brae conquers Jane by the time she's five since she's already conquered Tolkien. (I've never read him! Let YOUR hate mail begin!) Let's challenge each other: you read Jane and I'll read JRR by the reunion. Deal?

Jenna: Your husband doesn't stand when you enter the room? What the what? He needs some schooling. JK. Glad he's watching Downton with you. What's next? Pretty Little Liars. JK again. Never watched it, never want to. I love the Kate and Leopold question: I think she chose right. (She probably had a CTR ring.) And no, Hugh never gets old. He only gets more distinguished. ;)

Livingstons: um hello, you posted in the wrong section. If I didn't have my regency manners I'd say "what in the @!&!@ were you thinking?" JK. (I'm full of JKings tonight and I haven't even been reading any Harry Potter. Ha ha. Get it?)I'll post it here for you, because I'm old fashioned like that. (Meaning I'm kind, in case you needed clarification. Or in case you thought otherwise of me. Or in case you thought you were winning a Cold Stone gift card, because you most certainly are NOT. Which means I'm not as nice as I purport. Which means WHO AM I? WHAT IS MY PURPOSE? My gosh, you gave me a mid-life crisis. Whew. We're going to have to go talk this out over some ice cream.) BTW: Did you guys know LivigstonslifeinMT made her girls Jane Austen dresses for Halloween one year? AMAZING! I hope you'll adopt me someday. Wow, my fingers are fatigued. I best bid you all a good night.

Lori Folkman said...

Livingstonslifeinmontana said: I love the Regency time period. Jane Austen is one of my favorites and I love watching every Jane Austen movie and comparing the different directors ideas. I also love reading Louisa Mae Alcott...not the same time period but I agree that I enjoy the manners they exhibited in public.
Kindness is never old fashioned.

Nicole Jessop said...

I could do that. What book should I read?

Lori Folkman said...

Nicole: hmm, either Sense and Sensibility or Pride and Prejudice. Brae would love to read along too: but you might have to define a few of the words for her. :)

Team C said...

I have to say my fav would be Pride and Prejudice. I love all 4 movies. Each has a different thing I love about them! Persuasion is really good too.Oh, who are we kidding, I love them all. Ooooo how I love Jane! I love the comfy dresses, and that they get to walk and walk and walk through all the beautiul English Countryside! But Jane Austen aside, have you seen North and South??????? oooooooooooooooo, you should if you haven't. That is not to be confused with the Southan North and South!

Lori Folkman said...

Team C: Have you read My Own Mr. Darcy based on the latest version of Pride and Prejudice? It's super cute, just like you! I agree Austen-esque dresses would be comfy and you would never have to curse yourself for gaining 5 pounds and not being able to zip your jeans, but ... the cold! What would you do when it was 30 below zero and you had a draft blowing up your dress? Would you have to put hot bricks down your bloomers? I guess your legs hairs would be luxuriously long and thick though, so that'd help retain the heat too. What a blessing. Yes, North and South is great because of Patrick Swayze! Oh, wait you meant the ENGLISH North and South. Yes, SO good. Never saw the American one because no one talks with fancy accents and where's the fun in that???