Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Donkey Got Your Tongue?

Um ... hi! So ... what's new ... with you? ... Anything exciting ... going on?

Me neither.

I can't think of anything to talk about. This has been my brain while thinking of the blog the past few days: "Maybe I could write about--wait I've already done that. ........................................ Maybe I could ... no, that'd be lame. ............................................................ What if I ... no, boring. ................................................How about I ..............hmmmmmmm ......................................"

So obviously, I got nothing!

Which makes me wonder: what do you say when there is a lag in the conversation?

You know what I'm talking about. Usually it happens when you are speaking with an acquaintance whom you don't know intimately well and after the initial "how do you dos," there's a long, awkward pause where you both hope that someone will say something brilliant or insightful, but instead, you just listen to crickets chirping.

And if you're like me, you want to fill the void so you say something without even thinking and what comes out of your mouth is something stupid/insensitive/boring/offensive/repetitive/already been said/lame.



My go-to line is usually weather-related. "Some spring we're NOT having, eh?" (That's me speaking to a Canadian.) Which reminds me, if I were speaking to a Canadian, I might say something like, "Do Canadians like their bacon more than Staters like their bacon? Because we REALLY like our bacon, but no one has ever named bacon after us (also U.S.) so does that mean we don't have pride in our bacon?" ... And then the Canadian would look at me like I lost my marbles and then they would find someone else to talk to. (Probably another Canadian because they would deem that all Staters are weird and loopy.)

I might also ask something insensitive like "How's your job," at which the person would respond, "I got fired last month. I told you, remember?" And then I would say, "I was referring to your boob job you got last year when you had a disposable income. I was just wondering how it's ... holding up. And also wondering if you regret spending that money now that you are unemployed."

Sometimes I to try to say something that shows I know my current events, but when I read such current events, I typically remember only the headline and not the details.  So I would say, "Did you hear about the dog who gave birth to a litter of koala bears?" And the other person would say, "No! Tell me about it: how did that happen?" And I'd say, "Um ... it was a science experiment or something. I think they sent the dog to Australia and had him eat coconut." And the other person would say, "???"

Then there's always the go-to Gus (aka Gurton Buster) line, "You hear about Pluto? That's messed up, right?"

Which reminds me: I have a wealth of information about TV shows and books I could speak of, but what typically happens is that I ask someone if they've watched "Uptown Schmabby," and they say "No" and I'm like .... oooooooooooooooooooooooooo.  It kills all good dialogue when people aren't up on all the shows, people!

So what do you talk about when the conversation is pointless, dull and all-too quiet? Do you have the gift of gab? Do you find it easy to talk to anyone, anywhere? Or do you dread situations that might make you get constipation of the mouth? (Hey, if people can say diarrhea of the mouth, certainly the opposite applies.) Are there some fascinating topics you like to discuss? Can you teach me how to be a conversationalist? If you won't talk to me, I'll assume that you are a complete backwoods introvert, so ya better speak up y'all!

4 comments:

Nicole Jessop said...

I'm definitely not a conversationalist and have a hard time even talking to people that I know fairly well. I'm just not very open about myself and I don't like to do it. I am an excellent listener though. Also, I think I will definitely have to use Gus' pick up line.

Little Miss Devree said...

THIS is why first dates are SO FLIPPING HARD! And awkward. Cuz you’re like “I really want to get to know you but not creep you out by speaking directly what’s on my mind with no filter.” Because THEN I would not stop talking. Like here. Sometimes I think it’s better to watch a movie on your first date because then you don’t have to talk very much and you can use the whole movie to stock up on questions. That’s ALSO why it’s good to start with group dates so then other people can talk to your date while you’re trying to pull your brain together.
However, playing board games on a first date works out really well because you can have idle conversation between turns...I guess I am having a list of lame dates and that’s why I brought it up. But usually when I run into people it’s when I’m at work or going somewhere on campus or they’re the ones who get my attention while I’m sitting in the library doing homework . So it’s pretty easy to use the excuse of “Well I better get back to working/walking/studying.” But if someone infiltrates my apt and sits on my couch waiting to go on a date with one of my roommates, that’s awkward.
There’s my two cents. Have a good day!

Jennifer Lovell said...

Gotta love them awkward lulls. Here are a few handy conversation starters you can keep in your back pocket so you can avoid them:

"Did you grow up around here?"

"Do you have any family around here?"

"Have you seen any good movies lately?" or, "What is your favorite movie of all time?"

"What kind of TV shows do you like to watch?"
(When they say "I don't watch TV," I ask them what's wrong with them...just kidding. I ask them what they like to do INSTEAD of TV to unwind.)

I do like to get on the subject of books...as I'm sure you do! I'm always amazed at how many people there are out there who have written books. I love to hear people talk about what they're passionate about.

I think if you try to gear the conversation towards finding out what THAT person is interested in, you can usually lead them along on different threads that will lead to something you have in common.

I don't know if you REALLY wanted conversation advice from me, but that's what I've got today, I guess :)!

You really made me laugh with your boob job comment ;).

Lori Folkman said...

Nicole: I'm a fan of the adage: you have two ears and one mouth; use them accordingly. We'd be great together. And very quiet. But then we could both pull out a book and be very content, right?

Devree: I like your strategy to limit the amount of time spent conversing while on a date. You could also just make-out, since you don't really have to talk to do that. Ha ha. Just joking. Another strategy to help when someone has invaded your couch: pick your nose and then start talking to your boogers. I guarantee that you'll never be invaded again! (I'm full of bad advice today, aren't I?)

Jenna: so I should say, "You from 'round these here parts?" and "You got cable on your telly?" and "did your momma teacha how to read them there words?" See, I'm just too backwoods for sophisticated conversation! :) (I'm running on Diet Coke today. Can you tell?)