Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Cast and a Release

Helloooooo everyboddddy! How was your Easter? Every year I ask the Easter Bunny not to bring so much candy, but does he ever listen to me? No he does not! What good are those big ears if he doesn't even know how to listen? What a waste. Speaking of waists: how many pounds do you think I gained eating Easter candy? (Do NOT answer that!)

I'm excited for this week's post because I get to share some of the inside-my-head details about my new release The Hitch. You downloaded it, right? No? WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? Get it TODAY! (Did that sound bossy? I'm so sorry. I just wanted it to sound infomercialy. It's so hard to convey tone when writing. Oh wait a second ... I'm a writer. That shouldn't be hard. Oh dear. Am I in the wrong business?) Speaking of business, or more specifically SHOW BUSINESS, a few years ago you might remember me mentioning that I wanted to try my hand at writing a sitcom. Well, my hand didn't like writing sitcoms. (Not my right hand, nor my left hand. It's weird how they are congruent like that.) Writing in TV format smothered my creative process and the story just couldn't take flight.

I was very flustrated. (That word was invented for me. It's so perfect!) I thought the story that had been floating around in my head for months and months was going to have to be forgotten about.

But then I began hearing about EPISODIC novels, which are written in short episodes like a TV series, but follow a novel format. I was delightelated (another perfect word mashup. It will catch on, just wait.) to find a way to bring my characters to life.

Each episode takes place in one week and focuses on the troubles and triumphs of the weddings hosted at Big Sky Brides in the fictional town of Forest Hill, Montana. There is a conflict and a resolution in each episode, but underlying personal and family issues in the Brandt family continue to build throughout the series. The Hitch is just like eating pretzel M&M's: you won't be able to stop with just one and the next thing you know, you'll have a tummy ache. Oh wait, maybe it won't be just like that. Reading The Hitch will be completely belly-ache free. (I just found my tag line!)

Way back when, I posted my dream cast for Wilder Times. Would you like me to do the same thing for The Hitch? Yes? Oh yay--that's exactly what I wanted to do today. You have great suggestions!

If The Hitch made it off the pages of a Kindle and onto the small screen, (not a small screen of a smart phone. The small screen of the TV, which really isn't so small anymore since the average size of a TV is 38 inches. The TV we had when we first got married was an 8 incher. Can you even?) the following people would be cast:

In the role of Jenna Brant:
(BTW, I stole her name from blog-friend Jenna. Cute name for a cute girl. Thanks Jenna!)


Jenna is a pretty girl, but she prefers to be known for her mind and her keen business sense. She's kind to everyone (well, with one exception), has a hard time saying "no" (again, with one exception. See below.) is a little bit uptight (OK, a lot uptight) and is as creative as a football uniform designer (meaning that she's not.) I think Mary Elisabeth has that friendly, girl-next-door aura, plus she has dark hair and eyes, which is critical since she is related to this guy:

In the role of Josh Brant:


Confession: after following Josh on Twitter and realizing how hilarious he is, I thought, "This guy needs to be on a sitcom." And then for some strange reason, the idea for The Hitch was born. The role of Josh was built around Josh. (It's not that confusing. Don't get your Josh's in a bunch.) But that doesn't mean Josh Brant is Josh Groban. Josh Brant's character IS a character (it wouldn't be fiction if I copied an entire persona from an already living person. Plus, that would show that I'm like Jenna Brandt and not very creative.) who is based off of the skills that the actor Josh Groban possesses. (You know he acts, don't you?) Episode 1 mentions that Josh Brandt is a wedding singer and that will have a huge roll in forthcoming episodes. (You know Josh Groban sings, don't you?) Josh Brandt is sarcastic, a little resentful that he's stuck living on the family farm, and is very unlucky in love, which makes him feel like he should be working in a funeral home instead of a wedding venue.

In the role of Nick Timmons:


Nick owns the local bar and grill (under the supervision of his father) and has never had the need (or the desire) to live anywhere other than Forest Hill, likely because he's a big fish in a very small pond and most women think he's a major catch. But not Jenna. Even though they dated for time and she has publicly sworn that she would never ever cast her line into such a slimy pond again, that doesn't stop Nick from continually trying to make her think the catch of the day is something other than a carp.

In the role of Dale Polumbus:


Dale has just come back to town after a very long stint at college. He and Jenna were friends in high school, and even though everyone knew (and frequently teased him about it) that he had a major crush on Jenna, he never had the guts to ask her out on a single date. Why? Because even though their mathlete minds might have been a perfect match, socially they were not. Jenna was popular while Dale was even nerdier than the kid who wore headgear and was allergic to dairy, nuts, wheat, soda pop, and Doritos. Now that Dale's a grown man with a college degree, will he finally find the nerve to tell Jenna  how he really feels?

There's a lot more characters I could introduce you to, but those are all the key players. It's a dream cast and I laugh my head off (it was never screwed on very tight anyway) thinking of the fun those actors and characters could have together.

So tell me: if you could make a dream cast, who would you recruit? It could be for anything: a story you've never told, the story of your life, or book you would like to see on the big screen. Basically, pick your favorite actors or pick actors you think would be amazing together and tell me about it. OK?

This week will be the winning week for the month, so don't you be reading the blog and NOT commenting! A prize and a winner will be announced next week. (But just being my friend is the real prize. Aw!)

11 comments:

Jennifer Lovell said...

I love your cast for The Hitch! BJ Novak is perfectly cast--I love to hate him. He's so crazy :). And Jon Heder, he's both goofy and intriguing at the same time, so it will be fun to see his character unfold! I'm not familiar with the actress you chose for Jenna, but she's really cute, and looks the part, so, cool! Now I have a face for the leading lady! I love your stories, and especially your characters :). Thanks for all the entertainment you provide me!

My dream cast? Well, of course my show/story would have to be a romance, and that means only one thing for the hero: Hugh Jackman. Hello! Who would I pair him with? (Let's see...what cool free-spirited stubborn actresses out there have red curly hair and are nearing their 40th bday? ME! Oh, wait, I forgot I'm not an actress.) I think I could go for Julianne Moore, or Nicole Kidman. They seem really smart to me, and I know Hugh would need that :).

Heck, let's throw one more hot guy in there just to make it triangular :)...how about Gerard Butler? THEY COULD HAVE A SING-OFF and I could marry the winner! Oh--I mean, Julianne Moore could :). Hee hee. Now, who will write this movie for me, and can I please be at the cast party?

Lori Folkman said...

Jenna: You are so sweet, thanks darlin! Either Nicole or Julianne would play a great you. I love the sing-off idea, but everyone is into action flicks these days. Can we add some sort of a life or death element to your movie? Like they have to sing while juggling swords dipped in poison or something? I think they should add that to Britain's Got Talent. (Maybe this is why I'm not in the TV industry.) Of course you've invite to the cast party. Let's go shopping for new dresses together, OK?

Nicole Jessop said...

I reread The Reign of Trees last week and I've decided that Tom Hiddleston is the perfect actor for Donovan and it made reading it all that much more wonderful. And Liev Schrieber can be Prince Harrington. William Devane will be the King of Burchess. Anthony Hopkins will be King Henrick. And…. the leading lady is always so hard! Hmm… Illianah can be Emma Watson or Jenna Dewan-Tatum. I like Emma Watson better though.

Jennifer Lovell said...

I like Nicole's suggestions!

Lori Folkman said...

Nicole: Holy crap, you're good at this! I think you need to hurry and change careers. (Forget about helping kids and only worry about making movie magic!) Tom Hiddleston would be a great Donovan--I hadn't even thought about him when I wrote that, but a thousand times yes! (Have you seen him on Top Gear? He's just THE BEST!) I need to write something that will put him and Benedict Cumberbatch together. Now that'd be a lot of drama!

Jenna: ditto!

Nicole Jessop said...

Have you seen war horse? Benedict and Tom are both in it and I'm very curious on if it's one I'd like. But I don't want to watch it and be disappointed so I haven't yet.

Lori Folkman said...

Nicole: Wha? How'd I miss Benedict in that? Yes, it's good. Tom was great in it. I think I'll have to go watch it again now ... let me know if you like it!

Devree said...

My favoritest book is It’s a Mall World After All. It makes me laugh out loud because of awkward situations then Almost makes me cry because of the sentimentalism. (Yay that’s a real word!) So here is a good cast I think;
Charlotte: Jennifer Lawrence

Brianna: TBD
Bryant: Colton Haynes

Colton: Andrew Garfield

I have to get back to homework now but I just can’t think of a good actress to play Brianna…Maybe Emily Osment but she’d be dwarfed by the crew. An I don’t know much about these people to judge if they’d work well together but J Law would finally get to show her natural humor and fun! I pictured the guy that would play Colton hotter and smexier in my mind but I can’t think of an accurate guy…Anyway happy belated Easter! (Man! I spent all that time finding pics and now I can't even post 'em! LAAAAME!)

Lori Folkman said...

Devree: I love Janette Rallison. She is funneee. I haven't read that one yet though, so thanks for making me download it and now I will be distracted for days and not do any of the things I'm supposed to do. Authors are evil, aren't they? You picked a lot of eye candy. I hated to have to look all those actors up. It was pure TORTURE. I would like to see J Law in something lighthearted and fun. She's an amazing actress. She can make me cry like no other actress. What a talent! "I make grown women cry!" Happy bleated Easter to you Devree. (Or did you celebrate 420 day? You are a college student so I had to ask. He he. Just teasing.)

Mary Allen said...

I read your book in less than a day, it was great. I think the bar keeper needs a grittier look, pretty bad boy, dimples,maybe Josh Holloway (look another Josh for you). By the way, . You need to share YOUR chili recipe too. TONY & I loved it and Ashley's the best, and look who won. So please do share

Lori Folkman said...

Mary: Thanks and thanks again. The chili is a family recipe that has been passed down since Egyptian times and it has to be kept under lock and key. Can I trust you to keep it safe??? Just JOSHING. I'll get it to you. Great suggestion to add another Josh. Maybe we could just call it THE JOSH. :)