Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Name Game

S'up? I think I recovered from my week of shame. But the question is: are you guys still there, reading my blog, or did you go *delete, delete, delete*?

Do you know what I've been thinking about lately? Pen names. In case you are wondering, Lori Folkman isn't a pseudonym; it's my real  name. I never really considered using a pen name. I guess I thought that having one identity crisis was enough and I didn't need to add in another identity. I don't know why authors choose to use a pseudonym--unless they are trying to get away from being "type cast" with one style of book, or they don't want their Jewish family to know that they write about the Amish, or maybe they think a different name would help them sell more books. Hmm. Maybe that's it. Maybe I should change my name to Tiffany Dyer.

But in all honesty, some names are cooler than others. For example: if I wanted to be a bad-guy rapper and my name was Marshall Bruce Mathers III, I'd probably want to change it to something cooler. Something like Eminem. Or if my last name was Mapother I'm sure I'd want to drop that and use my middle name so I could be Tom Cruise.


I've never disliked my name enough to want to change it, but I do get frustrated when people spell it wrong. Hello, LOOORI, with an "O". Whoever thought it should be spelled Laurie? (Although I had a super-cute southern belle roommate who called me Laurie, but she is the only one allowed to do that.) However, as a youngster, I HATED that I did not have a middle name. Everyone has middle names, and I just wanted to be like everyone else. I used to tell people my middle name was Natalie. I think I would take that up a notch now though and call myself Lori Natalia. That has a nice ring to it.

So  have you ever thought about a pseudonym? What would you change your name to if you went to Hollywood or Amazon? If you do write with a pen name, what made you pick that name? Is it hard keeping up with another identity?

Hey JazznJenna, don't you know this guy?

Also, just wondering what level of coolness you have to achieve in order to get a rapper name. Like JLo or LiLo. If I was cool, would I be LoFo? Or LoRoFo? (Wow, that's zingy!) And if hubs and I were THE coolest couple in Hollywood, would we be Lorithew or Matori? What would your gangster name/couple name be?

Also also, do you have a nickname? Mine is Lori the Speed Typer. Go Speed Typer Go! OK, so not really. But maybe you have a super cool one you want to share?

Have at it: let's play with names!

9 comments:

Nicole Jessop said...

Ok, nicknames are easier so I'll start with that. In high school, some of my friends would call me Nikki. Now I don't really have a nickname although Steve does call me Nic, along with Steve Miller, my mom, and my dad. That's about it though.

Now couple nicknames.... how about Nicven or Stecole?

I've never felt much like a Nicole through my life and thought a better name would fit me, but I've never found one that would fit. I have never liked my middle name, even to this day, although I am named after my grandma. My mom had almost named me Jessica Nicole... I think I could be a Jessie. Maybe.

Jennifer Lovell said...

My mom doesn't have a middle name either (aside from her maiden name), and I always thought that was unfortunate, so I feel for you. My nephew has two middle names, how unfair! His mom (my sister-in-law) is so funny though--she changes her name all the time. Even on her own wedding invitation, she gave herself a fake middle name just for the heck of it, and that name was "Peter"! I haven't ever gone that far out, but I have enjoyed changing the spelling of my nick name from time to time.

My name is Jennifer. I have been known to sign my name as Jen (though no one but my brothers are allowed to call me that now), Jenny, Jennie, Jenni, and now I'm mostly known as Jenna. Or, Red (I have red or auburn hair). But I have often thought about other less common beautiful names that I would love to call my own, including Chloe, Carina, and Kleah. Sometimes I think it would be fun when I go to restaurants to offer one of those as my name for the waiting list for those waiting to be seated. I guess the only reason I haven't done it is because I'm afraid I won't get a table if they call "my name" 5 times and I forget to respond to it.

But just for fun, if I could pick any pen name for my future book that may or may not ever be written, I think I'll go with...Chloe Carina Lovell. Why Lovell? Well, I just can't think of a better last name to have ; ). (pronounced LOVE-ull, not luh-VELL).

Jennifer Lovell said...

P.S. From my name Jennifer Lynn Lovell, I technically could also go by J-Lo, but that's already taken; or even JeLLo, but I'm afraid that might draw undue attention to my less than perfect muscle tone...so I think we'll steer clear of those ;).

Devree said...

I don't have a middle name but I like it because I'm special and it's amusing to have someone try to guess my middle name. My friends always thought of different "U" names for my middle name because then my initials would be DUH. I like my name though. Although I always get gonfused when there's a Jeffrey in the same room as me. I liked the name Dabrina Cullen when I was in middle school because I "created" the name Dabrina and I was convinced I was going to marry Edward Cullen right after those books came out. I had different nicknames based on what phases I went through. When I was a freshman I was Little Miss Alice because I lived to be exactly like Alice Cullen. I was her for Halloween and Twilight the movie came out that year so my hair was done like Alice and I wore moovie quality fangs. It was most excellent. When I was little my dad called me Devree Do-right. My extended family still calls me Devrs. No one calls me Devs or anything where I live because there's a girl named Devlyn in the same grade as me and she goes by Dev Devs Devy whatever. Here in Dayton Nevada I'm Devree and thats it. I want my kids to have unique name like me and all my siblings (Noble, Shay, Dane - all brothers)So I decided if I have girl twins I would name them Arianna and Mariposa so the would be Ari and Mari. I think it would be so cool to have sons named Nickarius and Keano. Whoa this was a long post! I should make some good progress on my homework now....

TaraC said...

I love my name. I think it would make a great stage name too. While I didn't marry Vance for his name, it was definitely a nice bonus that Carolin was a great improvement over Williams.

My mother didn't have a middle name, so she and her sisters all made up their own, and she made sure her daughters got middle names.

I have a doll that has her own blog, which I suppose is sort of kind of like maintaining another identity, but not exactly.

I haven't thought of rapper names, but if my name were written in 6 letter code (like we use for plant abbreviations), mine would be TARCAR, which is kinda cool.

Couple combo: Tance & Vara. Definitely wouldn't work for a gangster duo.

I have been called, Tara-Beara, Ta-ra-Boomdiay, Arat (so much I'm afraid I'd answer to it), George, Ty, Freddy, Twit, Bud, Tarable, Bucket, and a couple I'd still rather not repeat.

Lori Folkman said...

Nicole: your name fits perfectly, since our family likes to stick with the same names. Wouldn't it be hilarious if you took the names from the other family who has a Steve and Nicole and used them for your kids? And yes, I could see you as a Jessie.

JazznJenna: After all this time, I can't believe you never told me your name is Jennifer! Actually, that's really cool. I don't know any Jennifer's who go by Jenna. I love JeLLo. Ha ha! That's the bomb.

Devree: I can't wait for you to have kids! You know you have to select an eternal companion based on how their last name sounds with your selected names, right? Always ask a guy what his last name is before you go out with him, or better yet, just read it on his missionary name tag!

Tara: good name and good spelling! I love Tance and Vara! I think you just got yourself a new nickname! And Tarable?! Ha! That is clever!

Missy said...

I have always liked my name, even the unconventional spelling of it...it's not MELissa, it's Malissa and mostly I just prefer Missy. I went through a phase when I was about 13 or 14 of not wanting to be called Missy, but that ended pretty quickly.

I don't have a middle name either, my dad didn't think girls needed them. It used to bother me so I would pretend my middle name was Gloria (after my grandma who I absolutely love and adore) now I've found much better use for that name with my cute little Glori. :)

Livingstonslifeinmontana said...

When I was 10 or so my dad gave me my CB name for our 4x4 club and it was Lazy Lisa. Rude.
I always wanted to change the spelling of my name...like to Leesa.
My children all of have middle names but I've thought many times that I shouldn't have given my girls a middle name so they could use their maiden name as their middle name when they got married. But since reading your comments I'm glad that I didn't do that....wouldn't want them to be sad that they didn't have a middle name Ü
For a couple name we could be billysa. You can say that with a spanish accent. Hey, I like it!

Lori Folkman said...

Missy: your sweet Glori's name is one of those that gets confusing when I'm in the same room! And I'm glad you are in the no-middle name club together.

Livingstonslifeinmt: Tell me more about this 4x4 club: it sounds so exciting! I think you need a handlebar mustache to say billysa properly. I'll have to start growing one of those!