Tuesday, April 17, 2012

My Not-So-Sane Life

Do you remember that time I wrote a book in three and a half-months? Wasn't that awesome?

Wait, you guys don't know about that, do you? Well, let me tell you: I JUST FINISHED WRITING ANOTHER BOOK! (If you couldn't tell, that is what it looks like when I jump for joy and do the happy dance.)

Do you remember back in November when I went full-steam ahead working on Purgatory, which is book three of Wilder Times? I got a lot done in November and December and then ... and then ... I stopped working on it. (I just heard a big NOOOO! being yelled all across the internet. Or not.) On Christmas Eve, of all days, a new book idea started growing in my brain, and as I went about preparing for Christmas, I got the book entirely plotted. As soon as Christmas break was over, I sat down and began to write, feeling at first like I was cheating on Ben Wilder. This book took awhile for me to break into a good stride, since it's a different genre--wait, it's an entirely different century! This book is a historical romance (of course it's a romance. What else did you think I would write?) set at the dawn of Renaissance--but once I figured out how to do the waltz rather than hip hop, I started writing at breakneck speed. I thought it would be an easy, short little book, possibly even a novella, but it ended up being around 100,000 words. All written since the first of January! That's a record for me. 

But ... it's not done-done. This is probably the roughest 1st draft I've ever done (hence the speed) and it will need a lot of grooming before it's even ready for my alpha reader. Do you want to know what it's about? Well, since I am all fizzled-out on words, let me show you instead: 

 It is set in a castle (or two or three)

 And is about one of these (a princess, not a Barbie)


And has a couple of these guys (princes, not Ken or Juan)


This is happening between two neighboring countries


And there's a bunch of these (like Montana! Weird how that happened.)  

The current working title for the book is this: 


You like?

So since my fingers have been glued to my computer since the New Year, you might be wondering what the rest of my life has been like. Let me tell you, it isn't very glamorous. Here's the past three months by the numbers:

1. Number of times the entire house (top to bottom) has been cleaned: exactly 2 times.
2. Number of gourmet meals I have cooked for my family: 0 (oh wait, that's nothing new)
2. Number of meals from scratch I have cooked for my family: about 6
3. Pounds of almonds I have eaten: at least 8. Not joking. The squirrel in my tree outside says he's very impressed with how well I can pack nuts away. I think that's a compliment. 
4. Cases of Diet Coke I've gone through: What? I don't drink copious amounts of Diet Coke. Why'd you even bring that up? 
5. Number of times I've listened to songs by Josh Groban: 100,052. You might be thinking that this is an instance where there can be too much of a good thing, but let me tell you: there is no such thing as too much Josh Groban. I bet he saw a jump in his Rhapsody royalties since January-- that was all me. Glad to know I can help an artist etch out a living.

And after all that time sitting at the computer, my posterior now looks like this:


Did you read about this lady man last fall? One of the most bizarre-o news stories I have read. Ever.  

So tell me: what have you been up to lately? What have I missed out there in the real world? Anyone maybe have a baby who I've only held once? Anyone finish their first year of college? Anyone getting ready for Iron-Woman or something? Have you guys seen any good movies/read any good books? Tell me what your life is like: I need some sanity!

And ... I have a game for you. I will give you four items, and you need to guess which ONE is NOT true. I will tell you the answer on Thursday. Bonus points if you pick right. (Bonus points for what? I don't know, just bonus points, OK?)

 In the coming months, I am going to:
1. Finish writing Purgatory
2. Write a sitcom
3. Run for political office 
4. Go on an overnight hike in the Bob Marshall Wilderness

12 comments:

Nicole Jessop said...

I vote number 2 is not true. In the past few months.... Steve started building a canoe and we're hoping to shut off our phones and disappear to try it out this weekend, today I have to go drop my brother off at the MTC for his two years far away (but not very far, since he's in the Utah Provo mission), I'm signed up to teach this summer as of yesterday...... and in the coming months we are very excited for movies. So excited in fact, that Steve has begun putting them in his calendar to remember. New movies we're excited for: Avengers, Batman III, The Hobbit. And we're looking forward to the reunion!

Nicole Jessop said...

Oh, and so excited for the two new books! Can't wait!

The Rowley's said...

Yay for a new book... Im so excited! Nothing new here... at least nothing you don't already know about...moving, Chad got a job somewhere in Mt., and we're having a boy in Sept. That about covers it!

Oh and I'm going with #3 is not correct.

Jennifer Lovell said...

After reading the previous comments and their guesses, I don't know who would know your ambitions better...so I suppose I just have to go with my gut and guess #3.

Me? Well, this week I was supposed to be in Idaho having the time of my life. Well sort of. I earned the right to fly out there because my tooth broke, and I have 2 dental field brothers who were going to save me a lot of money on the fixing. So I bought the flight ticket, and then I missed my plane last night (I wasn't even close--I remembered my departure time wrong by about 4 hours). I was so excited to see them and their families, so I'm bummed. I had to cancel the trip for now. I hope to get it rescheduled in the next few weeks. Fortunately my tooth doesn't hurt so it can wait, but still!

So with all the extra time I get at HOME this week (grrr...I was so looking forward to getting away by my self, and not being called "MOM" for four days), I'll just be doing the usual. Not like last week, when I was slammed with planning my daughter's birthday, helping my neighbor make 30 hand-stamped invitations for her mom's 80th birthday party (I really enjoyed creating those with her), and doing the Road Show with three other adults for the youth in our ward (that was a marathon and exhausting--and I would love to never do that again).

I feel kind of over-stretched lately, but I think things will calm down a little for awhile. I hope.

Jennifer Lovell said...

P.S. I'm so excited to read your new books! I vote you finish Purgatory before I get to the end of Catalyst, okay? Let me know when The Reign of Trees is ready for a beta reader, k? : ) That story sounds wonderful to me, though I hope you go easy on the fighting scenes... ; )

Sally said...

I don't see you running for political office, but I'll vote for you if you do.

We've been getting ready for a baby at our house--nursery and everything. We're working on the "if you build it they will come" philosophy.

We're also planning a trip to Hawaii, trying to coincide it with a conference so Brigham's work will pay for his ticket and hotel. Working out the wheelchair accessibility issues is tricky.

We hardly ever go to the movies, but one I want to see is October Baby.

And that is all.

Lori Folkman said...

Nicole: How cool. I need to see pictures of the canoe! I love pretty wooden canoes. Don't tell Steve I said this, but I would wear a wet suit if I were you.

Rowley's: a new baby, a new job, and a move are all pretty major. It makes me tired just thinking about it! I hope you can report that you've had a few good nap times. :)

JazznJenna: I'm sorry about your tooth and your missed flight. Do you want to borrow my ice skate? You are so lucky to have dentists in the family. I really need a discount orthodontist.Isn't there someone in my family who will step up and go to dental school? ... And the only way Purgatory will be finished before you are done reading Catalyst is if you read really slllloooooowwwww.

Sally: bless you, bless you, bless you. That's all I can say. You are amazing. I just listened to the October Baby soundtrack today! Let me know if the movie is any good.

bigskyboys said...

I've been missing out on world events too, but I certainly haven't written any books, been running the primary or carting 5 kids around! Just diapers, laundry and sick babies that aren't sleeping around here. I did read Undaunted and the Jade Dragon Box.

I'm voting that you WON'T be running for political office, unless I'm completely out of touch with your "true" self.

Livingstonslifeinmontana said...

I am really excited to read your new book. Especially since I love to read. I just picked a some 1950s mysteries from the thrift store for $.50 so I've been reading those. I also have been packing alot and practicing the piano alot and being a passenger in a car alot. Alot of fun!
I do not have a baby in the house nor am I expecting one. (bummer)
I would totally vote for you if you were going to be a politician, but I hope you're not!

PaulaShawn said...

I think the Folkman BOYS are doing an overnighter in the Bob.

Wow you are ambitious! So I have cooked as much as you & cleaned my house just as infrequently, but I have nothing tangible to show for my inattention to my domestic obligations. I'm impressed severely with your prolific book writing!!!

Janice said...

I'm going to copy paulashawn and say that you will not be hiking overnight in the Bob Marshall.

As for what I have been up to; not a whole lot! A lazy spring break, dog sitting and throwing myself into the world of Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy! Your next question for everyone could be "Which "Pride and Prejudice" movie to you like the most; the Colin Firth version or the Kiera Knightly version? I honestly can't decide!

Lori Folkman said...

bigskyboys: when you are sleep deprived, nothing else seems to matter! I'm impressed you can read without falling asleep. :)

Livingstonslifeinmt: I love a good mystery! I wish I was practicing the piano since the sound of me pecking on my computer doesn't sound as melodious.

PaulaShawan: I'm positive your house is cleaner than mine. Mine was just declare a unnatural disaster area.

Janice: Good question. I can't decide either. I LOVE the soundtrack from the Kiera Knightly version, which might make it my favorite, but then Colin Firth is so perfect! Hmm. I might just have to watch them back to back to make a decision.