Tuesday, July 10, 2012

What's With The Funny Business?

You might remember me revealing a harebrained idea here on the blog a few months ago. If you are thinking "Which one?" then you are no longer my friend.

Kidding.

But truthfully, being a writer means that sometimes my head is too far in the clouds. This most recent incidence of me getting cumulonimbus in my nasal passage happened when I had this great idea that I, Lori Folkman from Podunk, Montana, should write a sitcom.


But before I went out and spent my potential earnings from selling a sitcom, I did some research, because even though I'm a big dreamer, I'm also a realist. Guess what I found out? In order to sell a sitcom to a network, you actually have to work in the television industry. Weird, huh? An unknown, inexperienced screenwriter has virtually no chance of selling an idea to Hollywood.

Yes, I am a realist (oftentimes a pessimist), but this is one case where I am like Lloyd from Dumb and Dumber. "So you're telling me there's a chance?" I'm not letting my lack of skills and connections discourage me, because if it's meant to happen, it will happen. Well, not just happen: I'll have to work for it, but I am not afraid of a challenge. That is why I am planning on climbing Everest next year. (No, not really. I would have to sleep in a tent to do that, and you know how much I like my soft, cushy bed.)

So I am working on jumping over that hurdle, and still learning all that I need to know about writing for television and bam! There's another hurdle. It's my gender. Seriously.

I have learned that it is harder for women to break into sitcom writing than men. Apparently, there is the school of thought that men are funnier than women. Gasp! At first I was a little taken aback by this, but then the more I thought about it, I realized there might be some truth there. There are some female comedians who are truly funny, but a lot of them are just obnoxious and crude. And when you think about who was the class clown back in elementary school, was it ever a girl? Not that I can think of. Why do you think that is?

As far as funny female comedians, I can only think of a few who I really like:


Carol: such talent! So diverse! Can her show get picked up for another season?
And no one does it like Lucy. Yes, I love her.
Ellen is hilarious, but to be honest, I've never even watched more than snippets of her show. I don't watch daytime TV, because that is my writing time. I guess since I'm not into all the talk shows, I just don't know who is funny. Do you? Who tickles your funny bone? When you come up with your list, is it mostly male, or are there lots of funny girls on there too?

My favorite funny guys are: Bill Cosby, Jerry Seinfeld, Brian Regan, Steve Carrell and Rowan Atkinson. I feel bad about just listing a few because there are so many funny male comedians.This is also a hard topic because there are so many funny people who aren't necessarily categorized as comedians. But when you think of funny people, who tops your list? Do share!

And just a motivational thought: “If you don’t have a dream, how can you have a dream come true?” – Jiminy Cricket.  Wise little critter, isn't he?

9 comments:

Devree said...

Hi! I'm so glad yesterday wasn't the only post! this is great! MY favorite comedians are Anjelah Johnson(FEMALE!) Gabriel Iglesias, Jeff Dunham, Demetri Martin, Conan, and Mr. Rohrer. The last one's not really a comedian but he thinks he's funny and I love him! I have to go because my time's running out on the St. Jude computer! this'll be my shortest post ever!

Nicole Jessop said...

Jeff Dunham and Brian Regan are hilarious. I've seen both in person and loved it. I wish Dane Cook was clean because he's pretty funny but I can't listen to him very long. I do love his atheist skit though.

Anne said...

Good reminder from Jiminey!!

I would have to say I completely agree with your choice of funny ladies... and I will add Tina Faye and you and paulashawn are two of the funniest ladies I've ever met!

Once again I agree with your guy choices and I will add Tom Papa and good old Jerry Lewis .

good luck with your writing. maybe we can sing you your own verse for the Tangled song "I Had A Dream" ... then again my singing probably wouldn't do much to inspire you ;)

Lori Folkman said...

Devree: I now feel old. I don't know half those comedians. Do you even know who Carol Burnett is? :) Thank you for using your precious computer time to comment!

Nicole: You lost your number one slot this week. It's like your on vacation or something. Yeah ... why do so many comedians have potty mouths? Anyone can make crude jokes; it takes real talent to be clean! :)

Anne: you're already in the will, so you don't need to butter me up! JK. Thank you for saying that, you're too nice. And yes, please do a video of you singing the Tangled song and post it to FB, right away!

Livingstonslifeinmontana said...

I absolutely LOVE stand up comedy. I wish so much that there were more clean comics out there!
In the 90's Paula Poundstone was pretty funny, especially her airplane piece.
LOVE, Bill Cosby, "My brother Russell whom I slept with" and Brian Regan. Tim Hawkins is pretty funny.
I also like Jim Gaffigans Hot Pockets piece!
Love "I love Lucy" and Carol Burnette. Loved Carols Gloria Swanson skits! too funny. Im going to go look a few of those up on You Tube....i need a laugh

Nicole Jessop said...

The opposite actually, I'm working :( Gotta love that extra paycheck though. Oh, and if it helps buoy you up, one of the writers for Friends is a woman :)

Caitlin said...

I'd definitely watch a sitcom you wrote! I don't much about comedy, but I think Tina Fey and Amy Pohler are hilarious. Also, (and I think PaulaShawn would agree) Humor U and Divine Comedy from BYU are the best. Youtube them only when you have 5 hours free, because that's how long you'll be glued. The girl-to-boy ratio is uneven, but the girls are are just as funny- or funnier- than the guys. My favorite one from Humor U is done by a girl; it's called "Sister Missionaries".

Jennifer Lovell said...

When I think of funny people in my life at present, there's only one best answer for that: LORI FOLKMAN.
...You meant who do I laugh AT the most, right? Juuuust joshin'... ; ) You really do make me laugh in your letters and posts! I'm team Lori all the way for first famous female sit-com script writer.

My best friends in high school were the funniest guys in the whole school. Just recently, one of them told me about going to the dental hygienist on Halloween, and when the lady asked him to open his mouth, he had a plastic spider waiting in there to scare her! Can you believe that funny guy? I wish I could still hang out with him, he was so much fun : ).

My favorite funny people that you would have heard of include Bill Cosby, Alf (okay, he's not a real person, or even a person, but he's hilarious), Don Knotts, Danny Kaye, Steve Carrell, and I haven't watched too much of his show, but everything I've seen on the Jimmy Fallon show cracks me up. Jerry Seinfeld is fun, and Kevin James and Ben Stiller's dad on King of Queens couldn't be funnier. I want to give props to the girls on Friends, too! Especially Jennifer Anniston and the one who played Phoebe (her name will come to me later).

Wow, why aren't there more famous funny women? That's so weird.

Lori Folkman said...

Livingstonslifeinmt: maybe we should start handing out bars of soap to comedians. (ba dum ba) Yeah, that was pathetic, sorry.

Nicole: be glad you have work, because if you lived here, you would be so bored going to the lake every single day. (I'm not very nice, am I?)

Caitlin: I know what I'm doing tonight! Is that what you do to pass the time while you are at work? Do you get paid to laugh?

JazznJenna: that prank is hilarious. And bold ... the hygienist could have poked him in the eye with a scraper thingy. Thanks for the flattery. You are hereby added to my will.