Monday, July 30, 2012

Barn Envy

I wasn't joking when I said I was switching occupations. Welcome to Lori's photography blog!

I only do stationary objects because I really don't know how to use my camera. I just point, click and hope it turns out when I develop it in the dark room.

OK, so I was joking when I said I wasn't joking about switching occupations. But for your viewing pleasure this week, I will delight you with some photos of MONTANA.


The Last of the Canola-hicans
(Yes, the canola is now done blooming. So. Sad.)




Look at our cute little Montana Homestead. It's nothing fancy, but it's a roof over our heads:


OK, so it needs a little work. But still, I LOVE IT. I love thinking about the people who called this home.


It even has a claw-foot tub! Do you think Lime-Away will get it shiny white again?
 And to give credit where credit is due: half of the above pics were taken by the hubs while we were on a photo-shoot extravaganza, which I will tell you more about next week when we have a regular post. 



This is my very favorite barn in the whole valley. And guess what? It belongs to the family of my very favorite native Flathead gal. The farmhouse that goes with the barn is pretty darn charming too.



Look how cool this historic square grain silo is: 
(far in the distance. I know it's tiny, but I had to get a shot of all the wheat.)


The home stretch: this barn is across the street from the kids' school. 
Overcrowding is not a problem at our school! Such an amazing setting.  

I don't know why I am so transfixed by barns. I'm not a therapist (but I should be so I can save tons of money on my kids' therapy when they become adults. Oh wait, that won't really work, will it? I guess the therapist will need to fix the parenting mistakes I made, and that might be a conflict of interests if I'm the therapist.), but I think it might have to do with growing up in Montana and never living on a farm. I think the only way to cure this obsession is to get a barn and fill it with animals that I have no idea how to take care of: horses, cows, pigs, and giraffes. Sounds like a logical solution, doesn't it?

7 comments:

Nicole Jessop said...

Aw, this makes me miss home. Love your pictures!

Jennifer Lovell said...

These scenes in Montana are very similar to where we live in Pennsylvania. Here we see a bit more corn and soy though, and wheat too. Soooo, that means you'll feel right at home in PA when you come visit me someday, right? Nice pics!

Lori Folkman said...

Nicole: you'll really be homesick when I say this: huckleberries!

JazznJenna: I would love to see the scenery in PA and most of all, meet my favorite e-pal! Will you pick me up from the airport in a buggy pulled by 2 black horses? And teach me how to dip candles? I'm sure that's what you do all the time, right?

Nicole Jessop said...

Oh, now that's just mean. How uncalled for! I guess now you'll have to send us some to make up for it!

Anne said...

Beautiful!! My mom has a thing for barns too :) Awesome scenery right there by you. I have to say as pretty as the Bitteroot Valley is it doesn't compare to what you guys have going on near Flathead :) I have always loved it up there!!

PaulaShawn said...

This has to be your most vicious & cruelest post yet. What are you trying to do to me?

Small world, Nevada is. In the last 2 days I've met 2 new people with MT ties. One lived in Arlee of all the small places, & the other has roots in Columbia Falls, Missoula & Great Falls.

Remind me to take a picture of the view from my kids' schools.

Lovely pics your love took of the objects of your love.

Lori Folkman said...

Nicole: I am kinda rude sometimes, huh? Sorry, I WILL have to send you some huckleberries for sure!

Anne: Bitteroot= Terrestrial; Flathead= Celestial. I must be related to your mom or something.

PaulaShawn: Yes, that was my hidden purpose with this post--to cause you pain. Glad to know it worked.