Monday, July 2, 2012

When a Meltdown is a Good Thing

So ... Happy Birthday America! Wahoo! Fireworks! Parades! Ro-d-oes! Fun! Fun! Fun! Everyone loves the 4th: well, maybe with the exception of the emergency room workers who have to deal with all the drunken people blowing off their fingers with fireworks and all the firemen who have to put out hundreds of grass fires caused by fireworks. (Really, whoever thought selling mobile gun powder to the masses was a good idea?)

I love America. I would never dream of living anywhere else. Well, maybe Hawaii. Oh wait, that's America too. I should pause and honor America--all of our past triumphs and all of our future hopes, but I'm not going to do that with this post. Instead, let's talk about something else.

Do you remember learning in social studies that America was the Great Melting Pot?


I always loved that analogy. No matter where you came from, no matter who you were, once you became a citizen of the United States of America, you were put in with the mix, where you BONDED (which is another word to describe merge or melt) with your neighbors and then worked TOGETHER in one massive force.

Just stop and think about that for a second. Is that how you see America now? It kinda seems like we've become a society of hundreds of different porcupines, where each porcupine (or social/political/special interest group) stands up and yells for what they believe is right and no one better tell them they are wrong or that there might be a different solution or--BAM--you will get quilled.

Here is an assignment for you: love and accept someone who is different than you just because they are an American. Or even better yet, love and accept someone who is different than you even if they aren't American (yes, that even means Canadians) (OK, that was naughty. I was just trying to be funny and instead I was mean. Sorry, sorry, sorry.) just because they are another child of God.

Do you accept? Of course you do!

Now, just for fun, let's do something else melting pot-ish.

What are your favorite things from other countries that have become a part of American culture?

My boys would like to say thank you to China for introducing us to fireworks. (As always, I pray every 4th of July that no one in my household will get blowed up.)


My boys would also like to thank Germany for their excellence in the automotive industry. (Yes, I know Audi is not pictured here. I will never be forgiven for this. )


I would like to say thank you to Mexico for your fine Fresh Mex food. Without you I would be thin, so thanks for that. 


I would like to thank Brazil for your lemonade, which is really limeade, which is really a non-alcoholic Happy Juice and I am a limeaholic.

I wanted to give you the link, but the site is down. Try ourbestbites.com one of these days and see if you can find it. And as you know, Brazilian women are gorgeous and have rockin bods, so it must be OK to drink large portions of this even though it is made with sugar and sweetened condensed milk. Everyone drink up!

Teenage girls across America would like to thank Great Britain for these guys:

One Direction
Caitlin, I always keep my promises. You're welcome.

And speaking of the Brits, thanks for this:


When does Season 3 air? Anyone know?

What are your favorite imports that have become a part of your daily American lives? Do share!

8 comments:

Nicole Jessop said...

Oooh! I second you on the brazillian lemonade thing! I just found a recipe from onegoodthingbyjillee.com and it is so good! Perfect for summer! I can't stop making it- poor Steve.

Okay, thank you to all countries for your yummy food! Particularly, Italy for pasta dishes, Greek for their Greek sandwiches, Japan for Sushi, China for Chinese, and Mexico for Cafe Rio ;)

Thank you to the UK for Harry Potter!

Thank you to Finland for HIM and Negative (That's mine, but also Steve's, cuz he introduced me to both of them.)

Thank you Scotland for sexy accents!

Thank you New Zealand for accents and giving me a dream vacation spot!

Oh, and I love the USA!!!!!

Jennifer Lovell said...

Thank you to Australia for Hugh Jackman : ). And thanks to England for Christian Bale : ).

Thanks to England for our version of your Pop Idol show, here known as American Idol!

Thanks to all of the countries that bring us beautiful forms of art and dance that we enjoy everywhere. Some of my favorite dances to watch are from Spain, and from India, which appear in many of our films! (Bollywood, anyone?)

Thanks to France for all of the sweet-sounding romantic words we get to say, like "champagne" and "c'est la vie".

I love Mexican food too, and hate that it's so much harder to find out here in the eastern part of the US!

My favorite thing about the USA? That my home is here! When I came home from my mission in Spain, I felt like I never wanted to live anywhere but here ever again. I love this place. I love to sing patriotic music, too. Happy Independence Day!

Caitlin said...

I would love to thank the British for providing me with hours of reading material, Jane Austen and JK Rowling especially. Thanks also for broadcasting the Royal Wedding. And my iPod would be empty without bands like Coldplay, and of course, One Direction :)

I'm grateful for the Italians- not only have they made great pasta, they are the creators of Nutella as well!

Thank you Sweden for Ikea and ABBA. Or rather, I was thankful for ABBA up until the family reunion! Now it just brings up painful memories...

And most of all I'm thankful for America, and can't wait to celebrate tomorrow!

Anne said...

Thank you Sweden for Millencolin (for Steve)

Thank you UK for Cold Play, The Beatles, Hugh Grant, Audrey Hepburn, Elder Gobal, Snow Patrol (Scotland) and I would have to agree with Caitlin on the good authors she mentioned.

Thank you France for tour de France. Have you ever watched it? I love it!! Oh and yummy foods!

Thank you Mexico for yummy foods,and pretty destinations to desire

Thank you Italy for yummy foods and again amazing places to put on my bucket list.

Thank you USA for Freedom, Religion, eye candy actors: Matthew Mcconaughey, Ben Affleck, Matthew Fox, and so many others :) Good food and great people!

Devree said...

Well I would like to thank the UK for NOT FOr Girls chocolate bars because they are incredibly amazing. Also, for James Mcavoy, Ben Barnes, Alex Pettyfer, and Jonathan Rhys Meyers. :) (So many pretty men. :D) I also admire the same authors as Caitlyn while including Anthony Horowitz.
I'd like to thank Australia for Hugh Jackman (So Excited for the new Les Miserables coming out! Have you heard him sing?) and Heath Ledger. He may be dead but he was very versatile and one of my favorite actors! Also for the beautiful scenery!
I'd ike to thank lots of European countries for their scenery and settings in so many of my favorite tales! Also for their foods! France for crepes, Italy for gelato, Switzerland for chocolate!
I'd like to thank Mexico for mexican foods and all the interesting culture and superstitions. I know that everywhere has incredibly interesting cultures but I've just learned more about Mexican culture through my spanish classes.
I love the USA! I love all the different cultures here! I haven't seen much of the east but going to Boston was amazing! The arcitecture of the buildings and just things how much older everybuilding is there compared to what we have in the west. I'm also looking forward to going to New York in two weeks and seeing more of our beautiful country.
I love the variations in weather as you cross the country; raining buckets in Florida when it's called the sunshine state, not seeing the sun for almost two months in TN, the beautiful sunrises and sunsets we have in Nevada! There is so much to love here!

Lori Folkman said...

Nicole: just wondering, do they have Cafe Rio in Mexico? I can't picture it being such a novelty there. And why not thank you to MT for sexy accents? Don't you like redneck/backwoods/teeth-missing twang?

JazznJenna: you are without Mexican food? Gasp! What do you eat? Do you think French is more romantic than Italian? I think I'd vote for Italian.

Caitlin: mmm Nutella on crepes. It's French and Italian again. I'm a little offended about your ABBA comment. Next time I will shave my chest hair.

Anne: Oh, Hugh Grant. Was Mickey Blue Eyes one of the best movies ever? Maybe I should write a sequel for it. I will see if I can get Jane Austen to co-write it with me.

Devree: I sense that someone is boy-crazy. :) Is it the accents that get you? We need a BlogAway girl's night when Les Mis comes out. It looks amazing.

Livingstonslifeinmontana said...

Indeed thank you Scotland for your awesome accents and your bagpipes!

Mexico for their delightful dishes...burritos, tostadas, tortilla chips, salsa

Canada's perogies which are actually hungarian I believe..so double thanks to hungary.

England For Jane and Charles Dickens and for fun words like queing and mum and for Beatrix Potter and A Milne

Black Forest Germany for your Cuckoo Clocks
and Switzerland for your Down Comforters

France for your cheese

New Zealand for the Haka

America for your baseball, hamburgers and fries and pizza! oh and for the Constitution and Declaration of Independance

Lori Folkman said...

Livingstonslifeinmt: You're not thanking Canada for puffed wheat treats? I am shocked. I thought you couldn't live without them. You should at least be thanking Canada for your husband. (You didn't let him read my insulting post, did you?)