Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I'm so embarrassed!



Are you ready to load your youngins up and send them back to school? Today is the big day for much of the nation. Fortunatley for us, we have two more weeks. Yes, that's right. Two. It's awesome. And I'm not a bit ashamed to rub it in. We're going to the lake today, and your kids will be writing essays about going to the lake.



I'm sure you've heard of this guy by now, but anytime I see a school bus, I think of him. His name is Dale and last year, he dressed up in a different costume every morning to send his son off on the school bus. His teenage son. Apparently, Dale and his wife rushed out to wave at the bus on the very first day of school and later that day, his son told the mom to make sure dad never does that again. And dad said, game on! Dale donned a different costume every day of the school year all in attempts to embarrass his son. Here are some of my favorites:





I would like to note that the wedding dress was also backless. Hubba hubba. I would also like to note that yes, that really is a potty on their sidewalk.

Obviously Dale has a great sense of humor, but if I was his teenage son, I don't know that I'd appreciate it all that much.

Which brings up this week's topic: what have your parents done to embarrass you?

Mine's pretty simple: my dad used to speak in Pig-Latin at the drive thru at KFC. Yes, I tried to hide on the floor of the car, I was that embarrassed. Doesn't seem like such a big deal now, but at the time, I was mortified. I don't think it helped that he was driving a loud, hillbilly pick-up that also drew all sorts of (negative) attention.

So will you share your pain with us?  And I would also like to note that I think Dale should be Father of the Year. Such diligence! Such determination! Such ... humility!

6 comments:

Team C said...

The funny thing is that my mom to this day embarasses us. She will say right out loud next to someone smoking. I can't believe that people don't have the consideration to do that elsewhere. OH MY HECK!Or, I hate it when people leave their carts in the isle(loud enough for the "offender" to hear) Hide your head.

Shelley Workinger said...

Three cheers for Dale! I wish my parents had been so embarrassing to put as much time/energy/thought into anything as he did with his son, even something so ridiculous :) So in his spirit I will now carry forth the torch of humility/humiliation to show my kids how much I love them! What to do, what to do...

Livingstonslifeinmontana said...

My dad likes to tell "billy jokes"...these jokes are usually dumb and he likes to repeat them over and over....the following one we have heard for literally decades. We will go to a restaurant and he will ask the waitress for cantaloupe and she will say "I'm sorry sir we don't have any cantaloupe" and he will say "I can't elope..I'm already married" then proceed to bang his hand on the table and laugh uproariously! ("Dads! I don't know whats wrong with these dads these days" Bye Bye Birdie)

The Rowley's said...

Oh man... where do I start? Anytime I had a boy over or was seen with a boy, my Dad would say something like "Oh you must be Brittanys boyfriend she talks about all the time!" Shoot me now. Or if they called during dinner or FHE he'd be so rude when he answered the phone.

PaulaShawn said...

I must have forgiven and forgotten, 'cause I can't remember anything embarrassing. I'm sure I embarrassed them way more than they did me. I guess one way they provided me with embarrassing times was by giving me a little sister.

And look at you now - embarrassing me by writing a book and having super kids and excellent cooking skills and being so funny and being happily married for so long and being involved in your children's schools and . . . You want to hear more? I could keep going, you know.

Lori Folkman said...

Team C: just think, you can do that to your kids when they are adults!

Shelley: so nice of you to pop by the blog. Look up her books guys!

LLinMT: I am still cracking up! I'm going to try that next time I go to a restaurant.

Rowley's: Oh my gosh ... I would have died! But at least it helped to weed out all the losers, right?

PaulaShawn, awwww :)