Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Wuv, twue wuv

Mawwage is what bwings us togever today. 



And it was marriage that brought us together 19 years ago. That's right ... 19! And I was 19 when we got married. That means from here on out, I will have been married longer than I was single. Pretty awesome. 

So what's the key to connubial felicity? How do you keep the romance alive? By watching lots of romance flicks, of course! There' nothing like a good romance to make you want to go squeeze your loved one. I especially like the romances that seem so unlikely ... where it seems so impossible that love will prevail. And those are the romances with the best kisses; the ones where you have to wait and wait and wait to see if the couple will ever come together. These are *squee* romances. And here are my favorite *squee* couples:


  Emma and Knightly (Emma, 1996)


 Jim and Pam (together, they make Jam) (The Office)


 Jordan and Angela (My So Called Life)


 Miss Hale and Mr. Thornton (North and South)


Eugene (aka Flynn) and Rapunzel (Tangled)

Now it's your turn. Who are your favorite *squee* couples? Real couples count too! Leave a comment and you could win something to *squee* about.

And a disclaimer. Marrying an incredibly kind, patient man will do more to preserve your marriage than will watching 1001 chick-flicks, no matter how squee-able the movies may be.

8 comments:

Nicole Jessop said...

ooh! I love Tangled! Flynn Ryder is the best Disney prince ever!
Ok, so anyway, Flynn and Rapunzel are one.... The classis Wesley and Buttercup (Even though she is so obnoxious) from Princess Bride, Ron and Hermione on Harry Potter, Jake and Sarah on Must Love Dogs, Violet and Duke on She's the man, and I think that's enough for right now!

Anne said...

I'd have to agree with Emma and Mr. Knightly. Jim and Pam. Jin and Sun from Lost. I LOVE them! Belle and the Beast.

Livingstonslifeinmontana said...

Miss Hale and Mr. Thornton from North and South...(my all time favorite love scene)

Jane Eyre and Edward Rochester (Jane Eyre with Timothy Dalton)

Mr Darcy and Elizabeth Bennett (Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth)

By the Way...your wedding picture is darling!!!!!

Amy said...

Ooo! Ooo! Can I play too? Hmmm.....well, all through growing up I always loved Anne Shirley and Gilbert Blythe (the school girl love). But then they grow up and it's even better:) Rolf and Christine (Phantom of Opera), Robin Hood and Maid Marion. Classics. Love 'em.

bigskyboys said...

I'm not so good at this, I never remember movies let alone actors. But I will agree with the Miss Hale and Mr. Thornton.

Love the wedding picture, Austin couldn't identify either of you for the life of him. You haven't aged a bit, but Matt has aged since that fateful day. You know you're old when 22 year old boys don't look attractive at all (no offensive Matt!).

Lori Folkman said...

Jessops- Ron and Hermione! I forgot about them. And I love "She's the Man!"

Anne- Just watched Beauty and the Beast today. She's so cute!

Livingstons- I'm dying to see the new Jane Eyre. Movie night anyone?

Amy- I could never love a guy named Rolf. :)

Bigskyboys- One time when a lady saw our wedding picture, she said, "Well he's sure improved with age!" Not fair, is it?

Anonymous said...

Jane Austen gave us great couples to choose from! I'd agree to the couples mentioned above with the addtion of Elinor and Edward from Sense and Sensibility. I also love Kathleen Kelly and Joe Fox from You've Got Mail, Lucy and Jack from While You Were Sleeping, and Annie and Sam from Sleepless in Seattle. (They never kiss but remember the magic when they held hands!)


Janice

Sally said...

So almost all the ones I thought of this morning but didn't write down have already been shared.

Mr. Rochester and Jane (Jane Eyre)
Mr. Bingley and Jane (Pride and Prejudice)
Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth (Pride and Prejudice)
Edward and Elinor (Sense and Sensibility)
Gilbert and Anne (Anne of Green Gables)
Professor Bhaer and Jo (Little Women)
Wayne and Suzanne [A Song of Years (not a movie--someone's gotta cheat and it may as well be me)]
Mr. Knightley and Emma (Emma)