Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Born To Rock

Before I begin this week's post, I have a couple of brief business items to discuss.

Numero uno: Do you make/distribute/illegally traffic an item? Yes? Well, I am looking for prize sponsors. If you would like to donate a prize from your etsy shop, ebay store, or yard sale, let me know. You'll get thousands of new faces pointed towards your business. Ok, maybe not thousands, but close.

Numero dos: Another book review of Generations has been posted on another great blog. Go take a peak.
Look at last week's post for links to two more reviews.

Speaking of reviews, I am still looking for some readers to post reviews on Amazon. It's super simple to do and hugely helpful to customers who are considering buying my book. And you can choose a screen name that I will never recognize, like MYNAMESNOTLORI.

So onto this week's post:

You already know that I'm a little strange. So I figured what the heck, I'll tell you even more about my oddities. Yet another thing that most people don't know about me is that I want to be a rockstar. Don't laugh, I'm serious.

If you are laughing, it's probably because you've heard me sing before. Or play the piano. I'll be the first to admit it: I don't have an ounce of musical talent. But that doesn't stop me from dreaming.

And it gets even weirder than an unmusical person wanting to be a musician. I don't want to be a chick rocker; I want to be a dude rocker.

Now before you quickly close the window to my blog and never come back, let me explain. Guys just have better rock voices. Girls are great for classical and country, but rock? Not so much. Plus, girl rockstars must not only have a great set of pipes: they also have to have a great set of ... ya know. Guys can be hideously ugly and still make millions.




See what I mean?

But, lest you think I want to be a rockstar so I can be a ugly dude making millions (because that would be weird) let me tell you why I would like to be reincarnated as Brandon Flowers.  I love music. Love, love, love it. Can't make it a day without it. Could you imagine what it would be like to actually hear music in your head and be able to sit down and ... compose?! It amazes me how people can take a simple note and make it into a symphony (or a three minute love-ballad). That's got to be one of the most fulfilling things in the world. And even more than just the music: the lyrics! I love good lyrics. The words are picked with such precision and emotion. A songwriter can't ramble (ala this post) nor can they skip essential details or the listener goes, "Huh? 'I’m as serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer?' That makes no sense!" As a writer, I've learned SO much from good lyrics.

So that's my strange desire: I want to have an alternate life as a male rockstar who composes great music and writes phenominal lyrics.

What about you? If you could have an alternate life and be ANYTHING, what would you be? Would you walk a tight-rope at a circus? Be a CEO of a huge corporation? Act on Broadway? Be a Unicorn Whisperer?





Do share. We promise not to laugh.

10 comments:

Nicole Jessop said...

I would be a witch and go to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry!

Sally said...

I often joke about running away to join the circus. The circus life isn't really for me, but I do love flying on the trapeze. It's an on and off hobby (mostly off because I'm the mother of a preschooler, the closest rig is an hour away, and it's really expensive) that I'd love to be able to pursue. Just for fun. And just so I can say, "Yeah, I'm almost 40, but I fly like I'm 20."

Livingstonslifeinmontana said...

"I've got a dream...(from tangled), I would love to be a Disney Cartoon voice personality. I would love to be in innumberable Disney cartoons doing different accents and voices. I could probably get into Disneyland and Disneyworld, and Tokoyo Disney and Paris Disney for free....it would be so AWESOME!

Team C said...

I want to be a princess. Not all together that weird, but why couldn't I have married Prince William? The whole commoner marries cute, prince? Love the story!

The Rowley's said...

Ive always wanted to be a photographer for National Geographic Magazine. And I have zero talent with the camera!

Anne Miller said...

Oooh! Fun! I have a few... is that ok? I've always wanted to be a lawyer,or a journalist or write childrens books... all of these things require ambition... so alas here I sit :)

Rosie said...

Ok..I've given it some thought and figured it out. I would love to be in musicals. I love musicals! No musical talent here either though..bummer.

Nicole Jessop said...

Oh, I thought of more! I'd love to be a professional photographer or a crime scene investigator.... preferrably if I could work with Mark Harmon on NCIS. And just so this isn't cheating by increasing my chances.....

Steve's dream jobs are to be a helicopter pilot or a movie director.

PaulaShawn said...

I sometimes pretend I'm a bicycle messenger. I'm sure I could beat a taxi across the island of Manhatten! But that job won't work for me - I'm late (note my time).

PaulaShawn said...

And awesome reviews!!! That is very cool, Lori. Your book (and talent) is getting out there!