Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Be afraid ... be very afraid

It's October. That means that Catalyst is available! Yay! Want to click on over to Amazon and like it? Yes, you do, you do! The link is over there in the sidebar. As for the paperback ... it's there, it really is. But it's not there. For some reason it's still not up on Amazon. But you can get from Createspace, which is a division of Amazon. So it's the exact same thing for the exact same price. UPDATE: The paperback is now available on Amazon. The link is in the sidebar. If you see the price and gulp, it's because its a long book: 438 pages! But it's worth every cent. Am I right or am I right?

Were still in the midst of our Fall Fun Fest, but it won't last much longer. The final contest is the Generations Pop Quiz and the winner gets dinner at Applebee's. You don't need to worry about getting the answers right, you'll still be entered to win even if you bomb the quiz. And the more people who enter, the more $ the winner gets for dinner: so tell your friends to come play along. I'm giving you until Oct. 12th to get over there and enter. The winner will be announced on Thursday the 13th.

And then the Fall Fun Fest will be over. But it will still be fall. And we'll still have fun. It just won't be a fest.

So since it's the month of spookiness, let's face our fears. And let's name our fears. Did you know that there is a name for pretty much every phobia out there? I'm a bit of word nerd and I came across a 4 page list of phobias in my thesaurus. I thought it was hilarious. Look at these examples:

Pogonophobia : the fear of beards. I'd never really thought about that one before, but I guess when you see this picture, it's understandable.


Aulophobia: the fear of flutes. I'd say that any fifth grader who chooses to learn this instrument gives their parents aulophobia. I'm glad to say I never gave my mom aulophobia, unlike some people whose screenname might just be PaulaShawn.

(Not an actual picture of PaulaShawn. But if I had a picture like that of her, it'd be PRICELESS. I might have to look through some old photo albums next time I go visit mom and dad.)

Gymnophobia: the fear of nudity. This one cracks me up because of the name. It's obvious that too many people go au natural in the locker rooms of gyms. And it's not the buff people who do this. It's the droopy people. Don't worry, I won't post a picture. I'm sure your imaginations work just fine.


Didaskaleinophobia: the fear of school. I have at least on child who has this. Again, it's the name that's funny. I think it got the name from someone who "Did ask" a question and got made fun of and humiliated so bad that they developed a permanent fear/hatred of school. 

Pentheraphobia: the fear of your mother-in-law. I can't stop laughing about this one. There's a name for that?

Ideophobia: the fear of ideas. What the? Ideas? Really?

Kakorraphiaphobia: the fear of failure.This one is understandable. I think we all have this at some time or another, like when publishing a book. :)

And finally, my phobias: Entomophobia: the fear of bugs. Glossophobia: the fear of public speaking. And I couldn't find the name for this one: fear of crying in public. (Especially while speaking in public.) I'm going to give it a name myself: Bawlbabyophobia.

So what are your fears? If you know the scientific name, tell us that too. If you don't know the name, make one up! Together, we can overcome our fears! And to all you blog lurkers/never commenters out there, now is the time to overcome that fear. Leave me a comment. Come on: what are you afraid of?

13 comments:

Nicole Jessop said...

Ophidiophobia or ophiophobia- is a particular type of specific phobia, the abnormal fear of snakes

I'm absolutely terrified. Steve teases me about it a lot so I always have to explain to him that a phobia is an irrational fear and that's exactly how I am about it. I'm worse than Sharon about it

Livingstonslifeinmontana said...

I can't think of anything that I am afraid of....well ok lately I have been a bit leery of having one of the kids attacked by a mountain lion or bear....
so that could be like crazedanimalobia.

A said...

Arachnophobia! I really really don't like spiders!

Acrophobia- Fear of heights...really...I'm such a wimp about this one...

I also have the fear that my kids will stop breathing in their sleep...even my older two who are way beyond "SIDS" ages. I have to put my hand on their chest to make sure they are breathing before I go to sleep at night...I know it's crazy but I can't sleep unless I do. I have no idea what that would be call...stoppingbreathingaphobia?

Anonymous said...

Mary Allen is very afraid (not just a little) of spiders, spiders, spiders, any size from microscopic to the "giant" ones in scary movies.. just can't deal with them, don't want to think about them let alone see one.

Devree said...

Xyrophobia-Fear of razors
When I was younger a razor was falling in the shower and I tried to catch it. It ripped my nail off. I'm not so afraid that I never shave but when I think of them I instinctively pull my fingers in.
Jessops-Indiana Jones is a big strong man and he's afraid of snakes.

Nicole Jessop said...

Ha ha, that's awesome Devree! Thanks!

Caitlin said...

HeathLedgerophobia- fear of attractive men. Seriously, I can't talk to them without feeling sick! It makes walking around campus a living nightmare :)

The Rowley's said...

I hate bugs. All bugs. They give me the creeps just thinking about them. Im afraid of failing so I hate trying new things. Ive gotten better about it but its still scary. I also hate heights. And all things scary/creepy/bloody. So what would that be called? Scaredophobia?

Lori Folkman said...

Jessops, add that one to my list too. And Devree is right, even the tough guys are afraid of snakes.

Livingstonslifeinmt: only in MT! :)

A (also known as Anne): Avery has Acrophobia. But he says he's not afraid of heights. He's afraid of falling.

Mary: Yay! You commented! How did you do watching the spider scene on Harry Potter?

Devree: I hope you're not planning on becoming a barber someday. And I'm really glad you overcome your fear enough to shave your legs.

Caitlin: I can't stop laughing! You should win just for that comment! Maybe you'd feel more comfortable here in MT's backwoods. You better come visit. We could find you a Ted Kaczynski look-alike.

Rowleys: let me guess: Halloween is your favorite holiday??? Can I take you to a haunted house ... PLEASE?!

Missy said...

Sharks. Even shark week on discovery channel makes me hyperventilate...in all honesty, typing about sharks does it to me a little :\ - Missy

Anonymous said...

I have a fear of soup from Chinese restaurants. What exactly are those things floating around in there? I also fear cleaning blinds. Wait, maybe that's just an excuse!

Janice

Devree said...

Caitlyn, you're so funny! I bet some guy is falling in love with your smile and just dying to talk to you! I'm so glad you chose Heath Ledger in your phobia name beause he is the bomb! Such a versatile actor!

PaulaShawn said...

I'm afraid of my sister. I let her get married before I did so I could be sure my husband married me for me, not for a chance to get closer to her as a single woman.

I'm also afraid of walking next to short chain-link fences. I always picture tripping and puncturing my eyeball with the sharp end of the link.

Finally and worst of all, I'm afraid that my growing thighs are necessitating that I buy the pant size larger.