Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Scared to Death


Since it's Halloween and morbid things like death are on our minds, I thought this would be the perfect time to ask you if you are prepared for death. Do you have a will? Have you met with an estate attorney? I'm kidding. I actually want to ask you if you are prepared to live.

Years ago, I attended a class and was challenged to write a list of 50 things I want to do before I die. Why write them down? Because if you don't write it down it's just  a dream; but once it's written down, it becomes a plan. And if you're like me, if I don't write it down, it's forgotten! Since I'm the perfect student, I got right to work my list. I only came up with 23 things to do before I die, but that's okay: I'm sure I'll add to it as the years go by.

I got my journal out from underneath my pillow, where I keep it until I write in it each night       I dug my journal out of a drawer and found my list. Let me share a few:

1. Go on a castle tour of Europe. I especially want to see this place:


2. Attend a play ON Broadway

3. Re-learn how to play the piano, (I might even get as good as this guy. Or not.)


4. Publish a book (Score! I can check that off my list!)

5. Write a screenplay and have it produced.

If you've never written your list of things you want to do before you die (also known as a bucket list) then I challenge you to do it TODAY. Then will you share some of your dreams goals with us? And this is even better than just keeping them locked in your journal because we can raz each other to get them done.

I can't think of anything worse than being locked away in a nursing home at the age of 112 and saying "I really wish I'd gone to Europe. Maybe I can do that next year." That's just scary.

P.S. The poll is now closed; Wilder Times 3 won with 64% of the vote. The people have spoken. Now it shall be written. Tomorrow. I'll have it ready for you by this weekend. :)

8 comments:

Nicole Jessop said...

Both Steven and I want to go to New Zealand. Oooh, and it would be much more fun if we could fly a helicopter and go to those hard to get to places. Both of us also want to adopt a little kiddo some day as well

The Rowley's said...

My Bucket List is like 10 pages long. Very top of that list? Africa. I want to go soooooo bad. Also on the list is backpacking all of Europe and visiting just about every place on the globe. I know... I'm going to need to find some funds...

LStevens said...

I was fortunate enough to live in Germany for 3 years, and I have been to your number 1 at least 4 times. It is awesome! I hope someday you are able to fulfill that dream/goal.
I am currently reading Generations, and so far I am really liking it. Thanks for sharing your talent of writing.

Anne said...

I really want to go to Italy! And a Mediterranean cruise. Lots of travel. Italy is for sure my #1 though!

bigskyboys said...

Goodness Lori, I'm just praying that I stay sane long enough for my boys to make it to adulthood. I can only come up with one thing for my list of "to do's"- Hawaii. I'll have to do some serious thinking to add to that pathetic list. Austin should answer this, I'm sure he would easily come up with 50. If you haven't already figured it out, I'm quite dull, I leave all the fun and planning up to him.

Lori Folkman said...

I think we all have the itch to travel, except for LStevens. Yes, I'm incredibly jealous! Will you be my personal tour guide when I go to Neuschwanstein?

Since we need to take action to make our dreams become a reality, let's all go out and get our passports. Do you think they'll give us a group discount?

LStevens, thanks for the kind words! And just wait until you read #2!

PaulaShawn said...

I'd like to walk across England, reading English literature while doing so, and staying in inns like the ones in the books I'm reading. I'd also like to hear Sissel in Norway. But even more than those wishes, I'd like to eliminate a certain legal but unsavory business in my area; I'd like to help marriages and families be strengthened through gratitude, praise and recreation; and I'd like to help others see themselves as their Heavenly Father sees them.

Rosie said...

Hm..the usuals like traveling..mainly to europe, fiji, bora bora, greece. It'd be kinda nice to see all the cirque de soleils and i want to live in brazil for a year while the kids are still young ideally, oh and live in Chicago for a while..like right in Chicago in a brownstone off of michigan ave that would be awesome!