Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Real, not real

School's out this week, which means that summer is here. Which means that there is more time for reading. I can't wait to read at the lake. At the park. In the car on long road trips. Pretty much anywhere and everywhere!

Last summer, this was my favorite read: 


There was this one thing that happened to one character (I'm being very careful to make this a spoiler-free post!) that I thought was intriguing. So someone was having problems separating fact from fallacy, and s/he would ask "Real or not real?" The bad guys in this book were so adroit at creating falsehoods that in some cases, it was impossible to know what was real and what was fictional.

We're not so far different here in our "real" world, are we? People are so amazingly talented that sometimes it's hard to tell what has been fabricated. For example:

And I'm not talking about Sarah Palin being amazing and talented, (although she is) I'm talking about the picture being a fake. The photoshoppers are so skilled that oftentimes we are duped.

Then there times when crafting reality falls short. Like when some plastic surgeons just aren't as good as the rest.
Exhibit A:



Exhibit B:
Exhibit C:


Where am I headed with this? Well ... reading, of course! Sometimes you pick up a book that just doesn't do it for you. Typically, it's because the writer is like a bad plastic surgeon: their reality is too forced, making it obvious that "work" has been done. On the other hand, a good writer is invisible to the reader, making the story so seamless that the reader forgets there is an author pulling the strings.

I love getting lost in a book--when it seems so REAL that you laugh and cry right along with the characters. You know the author is good at their craft when you can't stop thinking about the book and the characters long after you set the book down.

So tell me--what books have done that to you? Which talented author can carry you away into a forged reality?

For me, I would have to say J.K. Rowling. I'm not much of a fantasy fan, but her world was REAL. I sobbed for days when ...(don't worry, like I said, this is a spoiler-free post). Now that's good writing!

Leave me a comment about your favorite book/author and one lucky winner will get a prize related to this post. So if you like to read, you're going to want to play along! Hint Hint.

11 comments:

The Rowley's said...

I love J.K. Rowling too! I was so sad when they were over. I also love Stephenie Meyer. I know- I told you I was a nerd. Im not a fantasy fan or usually into books like those. In fact, I made fun of my cousins when I heard what they were about. But I really enjoyed reading them. This is why I love reading- its a nice break from reality sometimes!

Lott said...

You have a blog? You wrote a book? You give away office supplies? Where have I been? It's like a dream world. Since I will be a librarian, or so it seems, in August, I thought I would add a few of my favorite books:

Love the Hunger Games series, but don't recommend it for 12 year olds. Mine couldn't sleep for days.

Big fan of How to Kill a Mockingbird and Uncle Tom's Cabin...classics.

Just read Matched and can't wait for the 2nd one.

Pretty much all Shannon Hale books are a go.

For fun with little depth, Mary Higgins Clark (and they are clean).

I recommend joining Goodreads which allows you to connect with your friends and what they are reading. I have a bunch on my Goodreads bookshelf, but summer won't slow down for a couple more weeks so they are on the backburner.

Congrats on your book...which is now a must read for me!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your new book! My family is reading together the Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope Osborne. It is a series that is magical. It opens the eyes of children of any age on how to imagine how to be adventurous and complete missions to save Morgan, the main character in the book series. It is so much fun to read to my 2 kids! Thanks so much for your blog site, as I really enjoy it! Melanie

Cattfamily said...

We're in the process of moving. Books are the hardest part of packing. Every time I place one in the "Give Away" pile, there is a tug at my heart to grab it back. Each represents my own Never Never Land; my own personal escape from the world and reality. Remember Fantastica and the Nothing? It will never catch me as long as I have my books! Long live good fiction!

fun7heaven said...

Hmm... I read ALOT of books but I find it interesting the only one that sticks out in my mind from this last year is the one I hated,struggled with and time and time wanted to finish but couldn't. It was the Shack, it was painful to read because it had to do with a child and harm to her but no matter the story and the faith and lesson it was getting at I couldn't finish it. And you know what, I probably never will finish and that is a first but it's all good, I think I can live with that. :) Tana C

bigskyboys said...

Those are horrible pictures, UGGGGHHH!

My favorite book from the past 6 months or so was "The Help" Kathryn Stockett. Such a different era and mindset than what my life consists of but I thought she did a fabulous job of getting her readers wrapped up in the feelings of her characters.

Lindsay said...

I was really, I mean REALLY, into The Great and Terrible series by Chris Stewart. Loved them -- course they scared me into seeing the world as going to hell in a handbasket. Then there are the autobiography books that inspire you to see the everyday miracles that surround us, and the courageous people that live them (namely: Left To Tell - Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust by Immaculee Ilibagiza). Then the books that will forever be on my Favorite list (books that stick with you, move you, and make you see differently -- ever since you were a kid): Chronicles of Narnia, Sounder, Where the Red Fern Grows, Tale of Two Cities, etc.
And favorite overall author? C.S. Lewis takes the cake.

Tara said...

Dickens, C.S. Lewis, Stegner, Tolkein, Lloyd Alexander. I love classics. Or most of them. I don't get Hemmingway or Tolstoy so much.

Anonymous said...

I liked the Hunger Games series too. I also like C.S.Lewis and Jane Austin. Then there's John Grisham's novels (some more than others)...how's that for a wide variety?

--Judi

Livingstonslifeinmontana said...

Favorite Author: Jane Austen

Favorite books: Jane Austens (obviously) Uncle Toms Cabin, Gone with the Wind, Anne of Green Gables series(especially Anne's House of Dreams)and recent favorite Eragon series.

I really enjoyed Wilder Times also and waiting for book TWO! Ü

LStevens said...

Lori,
I can't believe you are an author. That is totally cool. I just read a new series from Richard Paul Evans entitled "The Walk" , the second book is out "Miles from Home". Would highly recommend these for reading. Would love to read your book. Hope to find it at our local library or have it ordered in. Good to be in touch with you again