Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Say What?

There's a list of about a million things that a writer is NOT supposed to do in a novel. One of those things is to avoid cliches (like the plague). Well have you ever stopped to think about cliches? Some of them don't make any sense--at all! For example:

Diving in with both feet. Isn't the definition of "dive" to plunge headfirst? So when we say to "dive in with both feet," wouldn't that essentially mean to do things backwards?

Walking on eggshells. If you're walking on eggSHELLS, the eggs have already been broken, right? So what's the problem? The damage has already been done.

Cute as a bug in a rug--Um ... this is self-explanatory. Bug's aren't cute, especially when they're in your house.

The apple of my eye. Someone got their anatomy wrong with this one. Shouldn't they say, "you're the apple of my throat?" That's much more endearing!

Then there's the cliches that did make sense at one time, but are no longer relevant. Like:

Getting your cart before your horse. Shouldn't we change it to "You're getting your camper before your SUV?"

Sounds like a broken record. Should be "Sounds like a corrupted MP3."

Easy as Pie. That has the connotation of making something from scratch. Not easy. We should say "Easy as Costco."

Have you ever stopped to think about some of the nonsensical things that we say? So here's your assignment: *Share a silly cliche with us.  *OR, if you would rather, update an old cliche. *OR, make one up that is entirely your own. My favorite one is from author Nathan Bransford. He said that authors shouldn't get so obsessed with avoiding cliches that they try to reinvent the hovercraft. Ha! 

This week's prize is extra special--it's been donated by someone from our community. I'm so excited! I want to win it ... so you don't mind if I play along too, do you? ;)

And make sure you read our special commercial post from our sponsor (Me!).

9 comments:

bigskyboys said...

I give you permission to eliminate me for lack of true participation, but I have NO IDEA. Maybe you can tell me any ridiculous cliches I use! As far as coming up with a new one- I have a big old blank slate! Sorry!

Sally said...

My grandmother used to say (way too often), "That really gets my goat." I've been told that it comes from the practice of putting a goat in the pen with a racehorse to keep it calm. And then someone coming and stealing it.

The Rowley's said...

I just learned what the cliche "with all the bells and wistles" means. A long time ago people were afraid of being buried alive so the rich bought coffins with bells and wistles on them that were attached to their fingers so they could ring if they were still alive! A grave attendant would walk around and look for dinging bells. Creepy huh?

Anonymous said...

I've always wondered why things are referred to as "dirt cheap." I just bought a bag of potting soil and "dirt cheap" didn't really come to my mind.

Janice

Livingstonslifeinmontana said...

Origin of the word cliche:
"in the days of movable type it meant a set of letters/words that were used together so frequently that the printer didn't bother dismantling them."
The phrase I say so often, that I don't even have to think twice about it (Oh I just did another cliche without even thinking about it!)is "treat others the way you want to be treated". My frequent use of it has probably made it as ineffective as most cliches!

WG said...

I know I use them all the time but I have had the hardest time thinking of any....except for the one we use alot around here "Koo-koo for Coca Puffs" and is that even a cliche or just something that got stolen from a box of cereal??

Anne

Nicole Jessop said...

crossing your t's and dotting your i's should be changed to something having to do with spellcheck... but I'm not really clever enough to come up with one on my own.

T Fun One said...

I don't know if this counts, but how about "who do you think you are" or "what do you think your doing" Don't we already know what we are doing when we do it, and who we are? but you know I never say them.

fun7heaven said...

Well the only one I think I have used more than a few times is sly like a fox. I have this amazing gut feeling when I come across people that just don't seem good to me. I have used this expression many times when my kids have chosen friends that did not jive with me. :) They of course when they grow up will use it them selves and turn around and say I can't believe I have turned in to my mother. (haha) Tana