Monday, November 21, 2011

In Gratitude

I've been enjoying so many blogs and FB posts about gratitude this month and I'm seriously in awe of all of you who can list something you are thankful for EVERY day. That's a LOT of things to be thankful for. I've known all month that I need to do a gratitude post, but honestly, I've kinda been dreading it. Then I finally realized I have a problem: it's called ingratitude. (I know you find this shocking, especially when I admitted last week that I am selfish.)

I can see things I'm thankful for and acknowledge them, but then at the same time, I'm always wanting more. For example, when I did a gratitude journal a few years ago, I would list five things I was grateful for that day, and then at the bottom, I would write, "Next year, I would like to be grateful for ...." You see how sneaky I am? (You sneaky mom!) I use gratitude as a way to encourage myself to do more. I hope that I'm just ambitious and not a heathen.

As I was trying to think of what I'm most thankful for, without any goals attached, something I said in last week's post came back to me. I said that my hubby is the shopper of the family. What I should have said is that he's the everything of the family. Like when it's Thanksgiving and we ask what we can bring to the big dinner, it's his delightful pies that are requested. He's the cook of the family (and a seriously awesome cook, I might add.)

He's also the bread-winner of the family. (This might shock you since I'm an author. You'd expect I'd be as rich as Stephanie Meyer, wouldn't you? Weird (and sad) that most authors make less than McDonald's employees.) Hey I just did a parenthesis within a parenthesis. And I'm wondering why I'm not making millions as an author. Hmm. Peculiar.  So anyway, he not only brings home the bacon, but he also fries it up in a pan. (In a pan that he probably shopped for. And paid for.)

He's the deep-cleaner of our family. That scunge that tends to gather in corners and the dust that gathers on your light fixtures? He's the guy that notices that stuff and gives our house a spit-shine. He also never leaves dirty socks on the floor. Pretty darn amazing.

He's also the fix-it guy. I can count on one finger the number of times we've called in a repair man. If he says he can't fix something, I know that we just need to go out and get a new one. He's also the builder-guy; it's so awesome to live in a house that he built from the ground-up.

He's also THE dad. I now know why we have 4 boys: because all boys need a great dad, and our boys have THE best. (As does our little girl.) He's the dad who is so involved in the kid's schooling that he's a member of the school board. He's that dad who goes on all the scout camp-outs (he LIVES for the summer 50 mile hike) and helps with all their scout activities. He's the dad who takes kids on field trips (even a week-long field trip) even though he has work piled up the wazoo.

He's also my biggest cheerleader. He's always encouraging me in my writing endeavors, even thought there's probably times when he thinks I'm crazy; and there's probably other times that he'd rather have a clean house than 4000 words on the laptop.

So there it is. The thing I am most thankful for is this guy:

(I also happen to think he's totally foxy)

So how about you? What are you the most thankful for???

(Comment will close at 7pm Weds. Winner will be announced by 8pm Weds.)

7 comments:

Nicole Jessop said...

I'm most thankful for 2 things- Steven and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints because I have the knowledge that I'll have him forever through our temple marriage.

Kats Kradle said...

I am so grateful for my family and the love they give to me, I am grateful for my husbands job, and the blessings that come from that. Each gift is from God who I am so grateful for each breath that he gives me. Happy Thanksging week!!

LStevens said...

I am thankful for a many number of things. Mainly my wonderful husband, my children, and my family. They are my rock in my life. I am thankful to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and for knowing I can be with my family forever. I am thankful for my health, for my life, and for all I am blessed with each day. We should be grateful each and every day for all our Heavenly Father blesses us with.

Missy said...

Well put Lori, you guys are so cute!
I will get on-board the man train and say that I'm sooooo thankful for my husband who is currently sacrificing so much to meet our family's needs. He is a wonderful example to my son of how to be and to my daughters of the kind of guy to look for. I'm also very grateful for my kids. On a less-gushy note, I'm thankful for gum, post-it notes, Blue Bunny Pistachio Almond ice cream, sunshine, and Magic Wall Erasers!

PaulaShawn said...

You had me totally nervous until I saw your husband's picture. I thought you we talking about mine. What a relief that they are different guys!!!! You expressed the sentiments of my heart. You ARE a good writer!

I'm also thankful for life's experiences - the good and the bad. Life truly is beautiful. I'm so thankful to be able to say that it is through the hard things that I have actually developed and strengthened Christlike traits and improved my understanding of my Savior and his Atonement for me and the complete power of his healing and converting.

So I'm thankful for life - for our Father's perfect Plan in which this life is a time to prove ourselves to him and to accept his Son in our life so that we can have peace in this life and eternal life in the world to come.

Bakerfam said...

I heard it said recently " If you woke up tomorrow with ONLY what you were greatful for, what would you have?" So I have been making sure that myself and my children have the attitude of gratitude.
Fall/winter useally brings a series of sickness to Ezra and Eliza hasn't built up the immune system to beat it yet. SO I would like to say how greatful I am for awsome Dr.'s who have dedicated thier lives to helping children. I am also greatful that my kids can read and write. The more common and useally heard; I am greatful for my family's they are so extended and I am greatful for the thick and thin. For each day that the sun comes up to brighten the sky and for the sweet smell of rain. FOr this beautiful world our Father in Heaven has givin to us.

Jennifer Lovell said...

Your husband sounds super awesome, I'm so happy that you have him as one of your biggest blessings. I wish every woman could have a man like him, like you and I do! Congrats on that, and thanks for sharing : ), that post made me feel really happy inside.

I have been one of those making daily gratitude posts on facebook this month, and as the month goes on, it's been more challenging, but I think it's only because I'm trying to make my posts sound cool to my friends (ha ha). If I weren't worried about that, I'd probably just ramble on and on and on about all of the material blessings I have in my life that I am SOOOO grateful for (which I believe is wonderful improvement from my always feeling like my family has never had "enough" money). But of course I'm super grateful for my non-material blessings too. To name a few:

Our comfortable home, hubby's great job, my awesome extended family, a reliable vehicle, my amazing 4 kids, my healthy body, always having enough food, our washer & dryer, getting to be a stay-at-home-mom, hot baths & warm snuggly blankets & fuzzy socks, my musical talents and beautiful music, computers & the internet!, living in a 1st world country...and friends, even those I've never met (like you) : ).

Happy Thanksgiving!