Tuesday, November 1, 2011

National Something or Other


It's November.

Stop and think about that for a second. Do you have any feelings about that statement?

No? Nothing? Me either.

I've decided that November is a nothing month. No offense November, but you don't have much to offer. The once-beautiful fall leaves now litter the brown, dying earth. It's cold, but there's no snow to play in. And we're already thinking way past November anyhow, thanks to the over-commercialization of Christmas. I know November's not completely wasted ... there is that lovely day we currently call Thanksgiving, but I'm sure the name will eventually get changed to The Day to Gorge and Store Up Energy for Black Friday. Besides, it's hard to get excited for a day that makes your pants too tight.

So someone out there in the writing world decided that since November is the great month of nothingness, all writers should make good use of that extra time and write a novel. Hence, November was declared National Novel Writing Month. And then it was hence decided that name was too long, so therefore it became NaNoWriMo.
The challenge is to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. For those of you who don't count the words on every page of a book you are reading, that's a short novel: less than 200 pages in a pocket-book format. I tend to write loooonger books. Catalyst is roughly 150,000 words. So, while I am participating in NaNoWriMo (for the first time!) I'm not doing it to complete a novel. I'm doing it to get a great start on Purgatory. There's a little progress bar over in the sidebar for you to see if I make my 50,000 word goal. Also directly related, (but not available in the sidebar) do you think I'll eat 50,000 pounds of nuts to match the word count? It's a definite possibility.

I'm a little stressed about the time factor, as my calendar seems to be filling up quickly (especially since I just found I have jury duty! Oi!) but I'm ready for the challenge. I'm stocked up on macaroni and cheese and ramen for dinners for the next month, so the children won't starve. And I'll buy extra underwear so I can avoid doing laundry until Dec. 1st. I'm all set!

Since you guys probably won't want to participate in NaNoWriMo with me, let's just declare November the Do Something You Love to Do Month (or DoSoYoLoDoMo for short). But here's the requirements:

1. It should be something challenging, yet rewarding
2. It should be something you've been wanting to do for awhile, but haven't had time.
3. It shouldn't be expensive.
4. It shouldn't be illegal.

Do you accept the challenge? What are you going to do this month? Make a quilt? Cook a gourmet meal? Learn how to scuba-dive? Run a marathon? Clean out the fridge? Set a goal and then tell us about it. Please! Let's accomplish something together!

9 comments:

Nicole Jessop said...

Steve and I have been reading the Harry Potter series together and we've only made it through book one, which took us at least 2 months to do due to lack of consistency. So, my goal is for us to completely read book 2 and start on book 3. My other goal would be too expensive :)

The Rowley's said...

My goal this month is to learn cake or supcake decorating. Nothing super fancy but enough so that I can at least make my kids cute cakes and stuff for birthdays. And since Charly's birthday is the 16th I have the perfect opportunity to give it a try. Wish me luck!

Jennifer Lovell said...

I'm going to finish my family 2010 yearbook of photos and journaling, a Shutterfly book. I have coupons that need to be used, so I need to get on the ball. Thanks for the extra little nudge : ).

Sally said...

My goal for November is to ride 200 miles on my brand new exercise bike. I rode 8 today and my bum is most unhappy, but I feel good about myself. I'm finally going to get back in shape.

Lori Folkman said...

Jessops: what fun! Do you take turns reading out loud or do you just follow along together?

Rowley's: I'm sure it will be darling! I can't wait for pictures!

JazznJenna: welcome to the blog! Thanks for reminding me that I need to get working on pictures from 2010, 2009, 2008, etc, etc, etc.

Sally: bum's just don't like bikes, do they?! But good for you! That's a lot of miles!

Anonymous said...

Mary Allen says...I am writing a story..it isn't about a rockstar or a beauty queen, its about me.. something I have been "planning" for awhile now. My plan is to get it written , typed, printed and bound in pretty little notebooks as a gift for my children and grandchildren. I am using a "journal jar" approach which has 56 questions to answer and plan on doing 2 or 3 questions a day, so I should get it done by November 30th!

PaulaShawn said...

November is kind of my month of rest to recover from doing my challenging things in Sept and Oct (and yes - they were biking activities!) and to gear myself up for the Christmas season. My activity this year to focus on Christ more during the holidays will be to memorize the document, "The Living Christ." November is the perfect month to get that going! Thanks for making me write it down so now it's a must do.

bigskyboys said...

I'm not sure this fits in the "love to do" catagory, and it isn't inexpensive, but it's certainly a challenge, needs to get done and it will be fantastic when it's done. November is the month for finishing the basement at my house. Want to come paint? Nothing like having another child to force you to accomplish things.

Lori Folkman said...

Mary: your kids will treasure that! Sounds really interesting!

Paula: You are amazing. And we are Yin and Yang: I'm trying to memorize Invictus.

bigskyboys: you don't want me to come paint, unless you want to get paint all over your carpet. But I would be glad to help you select the perfect color!