Tuesday, November 15, 2011

It's All About Me!

You've probably realized that I'm not ashamed to show my weaknesses to you guys. I've talked about my geeky side, my hidden desires, and I've shown you what I do with my spare time. (Go ahead and ogle over that last link. I know you want to.) So now I'm going to reveal to you yet another of my flaws. I'm selfish. Really, truly: I am a selfish person. Who do I think about more than anyone else? ME! Who do I talk to more than anyone else? ME! And who do I spend more money on than anyone else? ME AGAIN! (OK, I'm stretching the truth a little on that last one, but just run with it for this blog post.)

With Black Friday just around the corner, I'm sure most of you are thinking about all the great deals you can get for your loved ones for that Great Day of Giving. Not I. I seem to get a bad case of "I-Wantitis when I look through all those sale brochures. (Do you think retailers do that on purpose? Do they advertise things that make women lose their self control, and then throw in a few good prices on toys for the kids so the women don't feel so guilty about their shopping spree? I think it's a conspiracy.)

So next Friday, my hubby will be dragging my butt out of bed and taking me to all the sales. (He's the shopper in our family.) And I'm sure I'll get a few things for gifts, but mostly, I'll be keeping Numero Uno in mind. What's on the top of my want list this year?

1. A nice camera



2. A tablet




3. Botox (kidding. I just wanted to see if you're paying attention.)



4. A heated seat to use on my office chair



5. A Jeep



I think I'll only get one of those things, and I think it might be the one at the bottom of the list. (Kidding again. More like #4.)

How about you guys? Do you get suckered into the Black Friday deals to spoil yourself, or are you the CEO of your family's charitable organization?

Tell me what tops your Want List this year (especially those things that are unaffordable. We can all repent of being covetous later!)

And the prize for the winning comment is super amazing this week: whatever is at the top of your want list, I will buy for you! No price ceiling! Wow! Do you think I'm being serious??? No! Of course not. But it's something that will make you all warm and tingly.

15 comments:

Nicole Jessop said...

I don't have a lot on my wishlist this year.... I have pretty much everything I need except for one thing-
I want to find out that our offer on the house was accepted and that we get to move in.
I guess with that, I will probably need a new fridge, stove and dishwasher :)Those are covered on black friday

Sally said...

I don't do Black Friday, unless I can do it online. I hate crowds, I don't like pushy people, and I can't stand seeing people fight over things. I'm just not brave or tolerant enough to do it.

And really, all I want for Christmas is a baby, or at least a phone call from an expectant mother who wants us to be her child's family. Selfish? Definitely! But I'm only asking for one thing... Probably can't get it at a Black Friday sale, though. Not legally, anyway.

Anne said...

A kitchenaid mixer! That has been #1 on my list for a while. I did actually find a great deal on one though so I get to cross that one off my list!

Bakerfam said...

I'm not much of a Black Friday shopper, though I do like to find good deals while shopping. There probably wont be any shopping until the following week because we will be in Moab.
At the top of my list is a house with property, enough to hold at least 25 head of Buffalo. I am not asking for much.

Jennifer Lovell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer Lovell said...

Looks like my last post got erased. Grrr... I'll try again...

I've never done Black Friday and don't feel tempted to shop then...I think I'm kind of crowd shy in those situations. I do surely love my online shopping!

At the top of my Christmas wish list (from Santa that is) is #1: a 2nd car for our family so hubby and I don't have to share anymore, and #2: a treadmill. I really want one! Someday... But realistically, I think I would be happy with a new pair of jeans, and some curtains for our living room.

Your Botox picture made me laugh ; ).

PaulaShawn said...

I hope I won't offend, but JazznJenna made me laugh. Those two desires are an oxymoron!

Cameras, bikes, shoes, jackets and backpacks are usually the things I desire. And if you come by my house you'll notice my "year's supply" of all of those things. Kind of sad.

But perhaps my greatest desire is to find a pair of jeans that fits me perfectly. Mine are all tight in the thigh and gapping at the waste. I'm the one The Gap was talking about when it named itself. Skirts from there even fit me that way. And that's more than just kind of sad.

Lori Folkman said...

Jessops: A new house would be the best gift ever! I'd be even better if that house were in MT!

Sally: Ohmygosh ... that is not selfish! OK, maybe a little, but it's a good kind of selfish. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you, which will make typing the remaining 27,852 words have to type this month a bit difficult, but that's the kind of friend I am.

Anne: I'm so glad you indulged! You're my kind of girl!

Bakerfam: Welcome back! I've missed you! And um ... buffalo? I though you were into Mooses. Or is it Moosi?

JazznJenna: thanks for persevering through wonky comments!
Maybe you could make curtains for your living room out of your old jeans! How cute would that be? :)

PaulaShawn: you make me laugh. And the reason why nothing fits you at the waist is because you are too darn skinny. Go eat some potato chips. Seriously

LStevens said...

My daughter wants the #1 from your list. She is in a photography class at school. Got to use a Canon camera that was really nice, and now she wants one. Very expensive one!!
As for my self, not really needing anything this year. My daughter says I need a new brain, back, head, etc. HAHA!!

LStevens said...

Also, I don't do Black Friday. Are you nuts to go shopping on that day? YES!! I avoid it like the plague.

The Edgertons said...

My fav time of the year. Yes, I mean Black Friday! I am a little mad that it actually is starting on Thursday this year, but it is what it is. My wants...

New diamond earrings. I seem to have misplaced one. (I know I could wish that it will turn up, but where is the fun in that.)

New Computer for me. No one can touch it. Just mine!

A gift certificate for two massages a month for one year. Well better make that two years.

And the $500.00 coat, I saw in the Nordie's Catalog. I really NEED it!
I would take the boots to match, but I am not picky!

Happy shopping!

bigskyboys said...

No black friday for me, ever. Maybe if I did I'd have more money in my pocket but I just can't make myself. I can barely make myself go grocery shopping.

My wish list- a baby that comes not too early but not too late, carpet for the bedroom downstairs and while we are dreaming furniture for the basement. Since the 1st one will eat up any extra money I guess I'll just have to stick with the perfect timing. Oh, and I did see some really cute Merrill boots that I wanted to buy yesterday- instead I bought $200 worth of paint and supplies. So fun!

Jennifer Lovell said...

PaulaShawn, no offense taken. Although, it did take me a couple of minutes, then I could see what you mean, ha ha. In most cases, you're right! But seriously, the 2nd car is wanted mostly for grocery shopping dilemmas and the like (can't carry home for food for 6 people on foot), and the treadmill is wanted so that I can exercise indoors more, 'cause I prefer the temperature control of my house ; ). Oh well...someday. Meanwhile, I'll keep stroller-ing it and on-footing it, and out-dooring it for my runs and video-aerobics-ing it when I don't feel like running. It's all good!

Now that I've justified my Christmas wishes, can I have them, please? ; )

Rosie said...

Some frye boots are what I really,really want but I would also settle for a california king bed. I'm tired of having to get up an extra hour early b/c the kids sneak their way into my tiny queen every morning and squish me out.

Lori Folkman said...

LStevens: do they sell new brains on Black Friday? If so, please tell me where to go to get mine.

Edgertons:that better be one WARM coat!

bigskyboys: please don't inhale any paint fumes or your new child might grow into the kind of boy who eats deer poop.

JazznJenna: yes, your wish is granted. You NEED both of those things!

Rosie: believe me, a bigger bed won't make a bit of difference. I know from experience. :)